Notices

House building question - any builders here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of finishing a custom home, and I ran into a similar situation as yours when the architect and GC mistakenly mentioned in a pre-ground-breaking meeting that the basement ceilings were only going to be 8 feet high - which was a big problem for me as I had always specified 9 foot ceilings. The GC started getting quotes about costs to raise it a foot, and they came in at about $25K! However, I then looked at the original plans myself, and noticed that on the plans they were already shown as 9 feet high - the architect and GC had been wrong, they were 9 feet. However, that didn't stop the trades - who knew about the 9 foot height when they first quoted it - from trying to get a bit more out of me! So make sure you know your plans backward.

Also, and one thing I can't overemphasize - get several quotes for everything! Also, tell the trades the bare minimum that they need to accurately produce your quote - if they think you can afford it, your prices will mysteriously go up. Oh, and never show up at a meeting with your builder in your Porsche...
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

I am starting to feel inadequate with our 1980's home with our 8' ceilings on the mainfloor.....

Quick Reply: House building question - any builders here?