Notices

[THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 02:36 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
Not yet, but we expect to soon. Do you prefer one of these brands/products vs the other?
I think STEK is a newer product and it looks pretty good to me but I will defer to your industry knowledge because ultimately you are the one servicing the warranty if things don't go well after install
Old 12-09-2021, 06:28 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I think STEK is a newer product and it looks pretty good to me but I will defer to your industry knowledge because ultimately you are the one servicing the warranty if things don't go well after install
Fair but I just like keeping my ear to the ground to hear what customers with experience think of the different products...

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 12-10-2021, 12:29 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Fair but I just like keeping my ear to the ground to hear what customers with experience think of the different products...
I had two detail shops attempt to install ExoShield on my GT4 without success. One of them even had Alchemy come onsite for additional training months later and I took the car back, still a no go. It seems like considerable tint experience and then first hand ExoShield experience is required to gain the expertise to install. Specifically on complex windshields that curve in two directions.

I can't speak to STEK, but did end up having Madico ClearPlex installed after I got tired of trying to find an ExoShield installer. The ClearPlex has been on for a couple of years and has held up well. I drive the car 2k miles a year typically, so it has around 4k on it. It's been washed numerous times with no peeling. I will throw Beadmaker or something similar on just to keep the wipers from stuttering, and have done several drives in the rain without issue. No scratches to the ClearPlex or wiper marks left behind.

If someone is looking for a product like this, I would certainly recommend ClearPlex. More importantly, as is most often the case, it comes down to the installer.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:40 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

Best fix for seats?

Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If the finish on the leather has worn through, there's not much you can do with cleaning/conditioning. There are services out there that can apply a new color "top coat" layer on the leather and it looks really good. I don't think the durability is quite the same as OEM, but its an excellent alternative to re-skinning the entire seat - especially if it's only occasionally driven (ie, durability for daily use is less of an issue).

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Bud Fox (01-15-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:01 PM
Porphil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the finish on the leather has worn through, there's not much you can do with cleaning/conditioning. There are services out there that can apply a new color "top coat" layer on the leather and it looks really good. I don't think the durability is quite the same as OEM, but its an excellent alternative to re-skinning the entire seat - especially if it's only occasionally driven (ie, durability for daily use is less of an issue).

Hope this helps!
Here's a link for a car that has bad staining on the gearshift **** and the steering wheel. I happen to like light coloured interiors for their ambience, but find in my car searches that many will approach this degree of unsightlyness. Is this car an example that can't be cleaned, and can a new colour top coat be successfully applied to such a stain?

Your thread has been a great source of assistance for us and I hope you have been finding it likewise rewarding on a business level.

2006 Porsche Boxster Base - Montréal (autotrader.ca)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:43 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Porphil
Here's a link for a car that has bad staining on the gearshift **** and the steering wheel. I happen to like light coloured interiors for their ambience, but find in my car searches that many will approach this degree of unsightlyness. Is this car an example that can't be cleaned, and can a new colour top coat be successfully applied to such a stain?

Your thread has been a great source of assistance for us and I hope you have been finding it likewise rewarding on a business level.

2006 Porsche Boxster Base - Montréal (autotrader.ca)
Some of that looks like a good leather cleaning would help (eg the seats and bolsters). The shift **** might have worn through the surface of the leather. That I would consider re-wrapping in leather, or replacing with a new piece. You could try the route of reapplying a top coat, but I'm not sure how long it would last in such a high-friction area.

Thanks for your interest and support!
Old 02-01-2022, 04:24 PM
davidpg
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey guys! I picked up a set of 996TT hollowspoke twists. They centers had been professionally painted in satin black, I purchased them this way (not my favorite wheel combo) and am going to run them as is this year.

Question is whether I can ceramic coat the wheels with the satin finish. I'm not concerned about the sheen changing really, though wondering if there are any other downfalls I should know about.

Pic of wheels leaned up against my car for reference:

Old 02-02-2022, 10:08 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, you can apply ceramic coating to matte/satin or gloss wheels. In fact, it's even MORE valuable on matte/satin wheels because the paint texture holds brake dust way more than a gloss surface. The ceramic coating helps prevent the inevitable brake dust staining, and makes the colour look more uniform and "rich". It doesn't actually change the colour, but it helps eliminate the chalky look of brake dust staining on this paint finish.

Check our GYEON RIM for a high quality, easy to use ceramic coating for wheels: https://therefinery.ltd/collections/...gyeon-rim-30ml

HTH!
Old 02-02-2022, 11:27 AM
davidpg
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, you can apply ceramic coating to matte/satin or gloss wheels. In fact, it's even MORE valuable on matte/satin wheels because the paint texture holds brake dust way more than a gloss surface. The ceramic coating helps prevent the inevitable brake dust staining, and makes the colour look more uniform and "rich". It doesn't actually change the colour, but it helps eliminate the chalky look of brake dust staining on this paint finish.

Check our GYEON RIM for a high quality, easy to use ceramic coating for wheels: https://therefinery.ltd/collections/...gyeon-rim-30ml

HTH!
Indeed it does...thank you very much!
Old 02-08-2022, 09:57 AM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 84 Posts
Question Best PPF/Ceramic combo to prevent swirls in Black painted car

Hello! I was hoping that you guys could help with a little dilemma - but a good one! Just picked up my first Porsche! A Slightly used black 718 Spyder from Mark Motors in Ottawa. The previous owner had elected to not ppf or ceramic coat and there are a few nicks put with only 3k it is in excellent shape. In a little bit of a dilemma as I am still on an allocation list for a Spyder -with no idea as to whether I will get a build and, if I do, how long I will have to wait. As such, not sure how much I want to invest in paint protection/ceramic coating. But, I want this car looking pristine with limited paint swirls so need to balance reducing unnecessary costs (realizing that I will not get all of this back if I trade it in) with the need to keep it looking good! What would the Refinery recommend as a best economical option? Keep in mind I am a low maintenance kind of guy and have no inclination to spend hours waxing and buffing... TIA!

Some pics of my new baby!

Old 02-08-2022, 01:40 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
Hello! I was hoping that you guys could help with a little dilemma - but a good one! Just picked up my first Porsche! A Slightly used black 718 Spyder from Mark Motors in Ottawa. The previous owner had elected to not ppf or ceramic coat and there are a few nicks put with only 3k it is in excellent shape. In a little bit of a dilemma as I am still on an allocation list for a Spyder -with no idea as to whether I will get a build and, if I do, how long I will have to wait. As such, not sure how much I want to invest in paint protection/ceramic coating. But, I want this car looking pristine with limited paint swirls so need to balance reducing unnecessary costs (realizing that I will not get all of this back if I trade it in) with the need to keep it looking good! What would the Refinery recommend as a best economical option? Keep in mind I am a low maintenance kind of guy and have no inclination to spend hours waxing and buffing... TIA!
Looks beautiful!

Let's break it down piece by piece...

PPF is the highest level of protection you can get to protect from stone chips, sandblasting and scuffing. The self-healing capability will also keep the swirl marks off too (at least on the panels that are covered). But it's the most expensive, especially if you're considering covering the whole car. Usually you'd just do the front end where 85% of the stone damage occurs. But on the 718 platform, the rockers and leading edge of the rear bumper are very prone to chips and impacts as well, so many owners add coverage on those panels as well (rather than doing the full rear 2/3rds of the car).

Ceramic coating will help with the maintenance side, in that it will repel grime and bead water like a freshly waxed car for several years. So washing is your only maintenance. But... it doesn't protect against stone chips, sandblasting, or scratching to any significant degree. To achieve a somewhat comparable level of protection using wax would require frequent reapplication (every 2 months of driving) - which doesn't sound like a task you want to be burdened with. So, probably a good investment for you.

Finally, if the car is currently in great shape and you're driving it only in ideal conditions, your wash routine becomes the most important factor in maintaining it. Hand washing is best, using a proper soap, wash mitt, drying towel and PROCESS. Check out our YouTube vids and "Car Wash Essentials" kit on our website. Most swirl marks are created by washing and drying improperly.

If you're planning on highway driving, track driving, or winter weather driving, I'd invest in PPF and ceramic coating to freeze the condition at the 3k kms age its showing. If you're just cruising around town and not picking up high speed stone/sand impacts on the highways, and not keeping the vehicle for the longer term, then maybe just ceramic coating will suit your needs best.

Happy to chat you through this on a call if you have more detailed follow up questions.

HTH!

Old 02-08-2022, 08:56 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks beautiful!

Let's break it down piece by piece...

PPF is the highest level of protection you can get to protect from stone chips, sandblasting and scuffing. The self-healing capability will also keep the swirl marks off too (at least on the panels that are covered). But it's the most expensive, especially if you're considering covering the whole car. Usually you'd just do the front end where 85% of the stone damage occurs. But on the 718 platform, the rockers and leading edge of the rear bumper are very prone to chips and impacts as well, so many owners add coverage on those panels as well (rather than doing the full rear 2/3rds of the car).

Ceramic coating will help with the maintenance side, in that it will repel grime and bead water like a freshly waxed car for several years. So washing is your only maintenance. But... it doesn't protect against stone chips, sandblasting, or scratching to any significant degree. To achieve a somewhat comparable level of protection using wax would require frequent reapplication (every 2 months of driving) - which doesn't sound like a task you want to be burdened with. So, probably a good investment for you.

Finally, if the car is currently in great shape and you're driving it only in ideal conditions, your wash routine becomes the most important factor in maintaining it. Hand washing is best, using a proper soap, wash mitt, drying towel and PROCESS. Check out our YouTube vids and "Car Wash Essentials" kit on our website. Most swirl marks are created by washing and drying improperly.

If you're planning on highway driving, track driving, or winter weather driving, I'd invest in PPF and ceramic coating to freeze the condition at the 3k kms age its showing. If you're just cruising around town and not picking up high speed stone/sand impacts on the highways, and not keeping the vehicle for the longer term, then maybe just ceramic coating will suit your needs best.

Happy to chat you through this on a call if you have more detailed follow up questions.

HTH!
thanks for the response, help defiantly seems like PPF at least is the way to go. Will decide on ceramic later! Cheers!
Old 03-18-2022, 10:06 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Semi OT - If you have fabric seats, is there a ceramic coating that you [REFINERY] would recommend? What about leather? My Taycan has Black/Chalk and it need to constantly clean it to keep the dye transfer from my jeans. Likewise, we have some dining room chairs and lots of grubby hands with kids - wondering if could use a similar product here.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:39 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hoffa
Semi OT - If you have fabric seats, is there a ceramic coating that you [REFINERY] would recommend? What about leather? My Taycan has Black/Chalk and it need to constantly clean it to keep the dye transfer from my jeans. Likewise, we have some dining room chairs and lots of grubby hands with kids - wondering if could use a similar product here.
Not off-topic at all!

Yes, there are variants of ceramic coatings that are best for both of these situations.

For leather, try Gyeon Leather Shield. You apply it after the leather has been cleaned and dried, then you wipe on in smooth, even cross-hatched pattern. It won't change the look or feel of the leather and helps slow down dye transfer, and makes it easier to wipe off soiling after.

For fabric (incl. Alcantara) try Gyeon Fabric Coat. You mist the material with 1-2 thin coats (allowing to dry between). Because spraying/misting can carry and get on other surfaces, make sure to cover or mask off anything you don't want to accidently spray (floors, adjacent materials, etc). It takes about an hour to dry in warm, dry conditions.

HTH!

Quick Reply: [THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.