Notices

Visiting Porsche in Stuttgart - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 12:49 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting Porsche in Stuttgart - Recommendations?

I just booked a 2 week trip to Germany with my family (wife and 4 kids, 8 to 17). I've been there before, but never with the family. Obviously, planning to go to the Porsche Museum - but unclear as to where to stay outside of Stuttgart. Anyone have any recommendations for great towns that are a quick hop into town, but also nice places to stay in their own right? After seeing The Heist commercial, thinking of Heidelberg. What about Baden-Baden?

All suggestions appreciated!
Old 02-03-2020, 01:22 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mercedes Benz Museum also pretty cool. There's a ton of stuff in the area. Munich is nice. Dachau for history. Europa park for theme park is a couple of hours away.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I just booked a 2 week trip to Germany with my family (wife and 4 kids, 8 to 17). I've been there before, but never with the family. Obviously, planning to go to the Porsche Museum - but unclear as to where to stay outside of Stuttgart. Anyone have any recommendations for great towns that are a quick hop into town, but also nice places to stay in their own right? After seeing The Heist commercial, thinking of Heidelberg. What about Baden-Baden?

All suggestions appreciated!
We have a trip planned for mid Sept. Baden Baden is on one of our overnight stays. Heidelberg we deleted. I've got a rental 992 and when I read the reviews of parking for hotels it seemed like a horror story for any car other than a Smart Car in some of the underground hotel lots. Also pricey parking but that's the least of getting a door ding and getting burnt later by Avis for it. We also noted the comments about the run down nature of some of the hotels - but that could be just American's used to the Hyatt. -

We're staying overnight in Rothenburg - if you've never been there - your family will love it! Medieval walled town and and not far from Stuttgart. https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-b...auber-germany/

Or try Tubingen just south of Stuttgart, (40 mins). https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ge...ingen-germany/

We're staying in a castle overnight in Oberwesel on the Rhine after we head out from the Frankfurt airport. (too far for you)

Ulm is another nice spot not far either, (1 Hour) I've driven through it but never stayed there. https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-b...s-ulm-germany/

The following users liked this post:
spender (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I would echo the point on parking...make sure it is usable. In some hotels we had a problem just firing an car, exp in old East Germany...

The following users liked this post:
spender (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

After the Porsche museum visit, say late afternoon wander down the main road from the factory and soon you’ll go under a rail bridge and onto a round about. There’s an outdoor cafe there where they serve cool bevies, at quitting time it’s entertaining watching a parade of Porsche’s doing the Round about and heading off in three directions. But then again admittantly I am easily entertained.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:34 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Been to Badan Baden three times, I think at the Atlantic hotel downtown which has parking.

Parking is a must as there is very little in town except for EV's

But a beautiful town with summer concerts in the park.

Quick Reply: Visiting Porsche in Stuttgart - Recommendations?