997.1 PPI in Toronto? Buying from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 03:47 PM
tawheed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 PPI in Toronto? Buying from Edmonton

Hello all,

I've been hunting for a 997 off and on for the last 3-5 years, considering at 997.1 C2S in Toronto, car looks very clean and has service records from day one. Has been maintained at Pfaff for the last couple of years. He sent me a couple of service records which indicate they cut the filter open and check for particles etc each time. I'm half tempted to buy this w/out a PPI, but I think for my own mental health I should spend the money and get it done, if for nothing else than the scoping to check for scoring.

Did some Googling prior to posting and the places that came up were Hunter, Mantis, and EU Autowerks. Are any of these preferred over the other? Or is there another place near Etobicoke that can be recommended?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 475 Posts

Don't skip the PPI.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:30 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tawheed
Hello all,

I've been hunting for a 997 off and on for the last 3-5 years, considering at 997.1 C2S in Toronto, car looks very clean and has service records from day one. Has been maintained at Pfaff for the last couple of years. He sent me a couple of service records which indicate they cut the filter open and check for particles etc each time. I'm half tempted to buy this w/out a PPI, but I think for my own mental health I should spend the money and get it done, if for nothing else than the scoping to check for scoring.

Did some Googling prior to posting and the places that came up were Hunter, Mantis, and EU Autowerks. Are any of these preferred over the other? Or is there another place near Etobicoke that can be recommended?

Thanks
Hunter would be the best of those three, however he doesn't always take on PPI work depending on how busy he is. I personally used EU Autowerks a few years ago for PPI on a 997TT, they were OK (and expensive). I've also used Mantis for PPI recently on a cayman race car - ultimately I was OK with the experience as I am local and could walk into their shop and discuss it in person, but if I was having them do it for me remotely I would have been very disappointed in the quality of the report & details they provided. I had Mantis do a boroscope inspection of the cylinder walls on the cayman PPI which added ~$200 to the PPI cost, which is fair considering it's basically a full plug replacement job.

You could also consider Pfaff Porsche, Porsche North Toronto or Porsche Oakville for the PPI as well. But Hunter is probably still the best bet out of all of them, provided he's willing to take on the work.

My absolute top recommendation would be Zorotech - the owner Zoran leaves no stone unturned, takes tremendous pride in his work and his personal vehicle is a 997.1 so he knows the vehicle inside and out, back to front. But he's 40min west of the GTA.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:20 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by tawheed
Hello all,

Thanks
I would try Pfaff Tuning if they can do it.

I have had great experience there on 3 different vehicles, and it is a separate shop with better techs, imho than the Pfaff regular service operation.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:24 AM
tawheed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Hunter would be the best of those three, however he doesn't always take on PPI work depending on how busy he is. I personally used EU Autowerks a few years ago for PPI on a 997TT, they were OK (and expensive). I've also used Mantis for PPI recently on a cayman race car - ultimately I was OK with the experience as I am local and could walk into their shop and discuss it in person, but if I was having them do it for me remotely I would have been very disappointed in the quality of the report & details they provided. I had Mantis do a boroscope inspection of the cylinder walls on the cayman PPI which added ~$200 to the PPI cost, which is fair considering it's basically a full plug replacement job.

You could also consider Pfaff Porsche, Porsche North Toronto or Porsche Oakville for the PPI as well. But Hunter is probably still the best bet out of all of them, provided he's willing to take on the work.

My absolute top recommendation would be Zorotech - the owner Zoran leaves no stone unturned, takes tremendous pride in his work and his personal vehicle is a 997.1 so he knows the vehicle inside and out, back to front. But he's 40min west of the GTA.
Thanks, I’ll give Hunter a call on Monday.

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
I would try Pfaff Tuning if they can do it.

I have had great experience there on 3 different vehicles, and it is a separate shop with better techs, imho than the Pfaff regular service operation.
Pfaff Tuning is where it’s been serviced, that’s partially why I was contemplating skipping a PPI altogether.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:05 AM
back2porsche
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche Oakville did my 02 996T ppi (private sale) last feb. very thorough but not cheap. Leakdown, compression test and scope over 2 days was about $1500 all in. They even found a missing plastic hold down screw for the carpet in the frunk.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Scooter911
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not use North Toronto Porsche. They give you one page with no great detail. They missed a clearly sagging motor mount on mine and 2 exhaust heat shields missing 4 bolts. That’s all I’ve found so far but pretty basic stuff.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:30 PM
MunnyGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Not to hijack the thread... how much can one expect to pay in Canada for a thorough PPI?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 227 Posts

I have used G-tek auto in Toronto for PPI years ago. They did a pretty thorough job.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:53 AM
enzojr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used EU Autowerks 5 years ago for a 986 and the report was pretty sparse with no structure. The PPI also took 2 days which was inexplicable. The PPI report was basically 3 pages of comments on their standard invoice paper. There were no paint depth checks so they missed a repainted rear fender. But it was only $180 back then and perhaps I got what I paid for.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:21 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used EU. and Mantis. I have no experience with Hunter but hear they are good. Although he is 50km’s west of Toronto, it is worth the little extra effort to take it to Zoran.. He is very thorough and knowledgeable and also reasonably priced. I won’t let anyone else work on my Porsches now. Only issue is that he is very busy right now. I suspect all of the good ones are as well.

Quick Reply: 997.1 PPI in Toronto? Buying from Edmonton