Notices

US vs Canadian car value

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 PM
YellowU
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default US vs Canadian car value

Very keen on a used 2007 987 but the car started life in the US and odometer in MPH. Current owner imported the car to Toronto 10 years ago. Form the price point of view, pls advice if US car generally has a lower value than Canadian car? If yes, roughly what % of price differences to a similar Canadian car ? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:06 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowU
Very keen on a used 2007 987 but the car started life in the US and odometer in MPH. Current owner imported the car to Toronto 10 years ago. Form the price point of view, pls advice if US car generally has a lower value than Canadian car? If yes, roughly what % of price differences to a similar Canadian car ? Thanks.

Do you know if it's a snow belt car or from the South West? Typically cars from the dry states are more desirable.

The car is already tax paid, so I would say the price would depend on condition and full service records, but might have a small discount for the MPH speedo. Definitely needs a good independent inspection though.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:25 PM
YellowU
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronan
Do you know if it's a snow belt car or from the South West? Typically cars from the dry states are more desirable.

The car is already tax paid, so I would say the price would depend on condition and full service records, but might have a small discount for the MPH speedo. Definitely needs a good independent inspection though.
Thanks for feedback. It is from the west coast but in Toronto since 10 years ago so condition is similar to cars here. Visually it is in good condition and I will get PPI done anyway. What I am unsure is the price. I am told US imported cars are generally sold at a lower price compared to Canadian car but not sure if the same applies to Porsche ? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

If you want to trade a US car at dealer they will tell you it will be discounted. If dealer is selling US car, no discount. If buying/selling privately should not make a difference. Speedo can be changed within programming to KMs. US cars are usually better optioned and often not exposed to salt.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:03 PM
cam0141
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default It’s about condition

I’ve bought a Porsche in the IS and imported it and I’ve also bought a Porsche here that was previously imported from the US.

in both cases it’s was about the condition and price. I don’t think that the mph speedometer gets any discount from what I’ve seen.

the added bonus is that if you decide to sell in the future. The US market is much more open as it would be easy to import back.

my opinion only.
The following users liked this post:
fnel1771 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The discount is a dealer ploy to maximize profits. I’ve gone US to Canada and the other way also. It’s all about the car Condition and the market. With all the digital speedos in the cars, which is what really counts, makes the difference negligible these days
Old 06-29-2020, 12:44 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Both times I was buying my 911s (996/997) the US ones seemed cheaper by a few thousand here in Alberta. That said, I did not go look at many that originated in the US as I wanted Canadian car (I am more comfortable with the accuracy of the vehicle history) and many other enthusiasts I talked to were of same mind.

Looking at older Porsches (ex.. 993s, 356s) it seems there was less price differentiation betwixt Canadian & American cars.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Why would the accuracy of the vehicle history be influenced by whether it was a US or Cdn car?

Dan is right, for the dealers it heads they win, tails you lose. On a private sale its all about condition. If someone told me their Cdn car was more valuable then a US car in the same condition then I'd let him try and sell it to the next sucker. To me a US car from the south would be worth way more than any Cdn car as its just exposed to less intense weather in general
Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Why would the accuracy of the vehicle history be influenced by whether it was a US or Cdn car?l
I deal quite a bit with salvage vehicles & rebuilt titles are often washed by moving between US states that do not recognize each other's brands & I believe more insurance reporting occurs to Carfax in Canada than the States. I was fortunate I bought both vehicles from original owners with all Alberta registrations so was easy to verify everything.
Maybe I am paranoid...but US vehicles are not for me.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:02 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

When (if every) I sell my U.S. 996 TT it will be down in the states.
The following users liked this post:
Freakhead (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Value is all about condition. Proper inspections can spot unreported damage.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:21 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

a true canadian car can be somewhat special. (in canada). Sometimes commands a little more.
USA car is nice if you want to sell it back to the USA for that u.s greenback...
Old 07-01-2020, 10:43 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
a true canadian car can be somewhat special. (in canada). Sometimes commands a little more.
USA car is nice if you want to sell it back to the USA for that u.s greenback...
Yeah, when buying I prefer Canadian market cars, and I would pay a premium of maybe 3-8% depending on the type of car. Some models or specs are unicorns on the Canadian market, but easy to obtain in the US due to the size of their market.

However, while the value of a Canadian car is greater to me and probably other Canadians, the the overall resale value of a US car is greater than or equal to a Canadian car, as the US buyer pool is much bigger, and cars are more expensive in the US after doing currency conversion. Prior US cars in Canada are easier to re-import to US than Canadian cars, ans previously paid US duties don’t have to be paid again.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

It may not be a difference in value, but it may certainly reduce your potential market. I can't tell you logically why i do it but i wont buy a US car. Really however the logic doesnt matter, because i wont buy your car you have one less potential customer if that matters to you . For me it is a grey Market car..Yes they are all built on the same assembly line blah blah, but my personal opinion is those who tell you the value is the same are those who own US cars and are trying to preserve the value. If you have less potential buyers for those who might think like me ( rightly or wrongly ) , theoretically you may have to lower the price to sell it.

Further to this, you will notice those with Canadian cars ALWAYS list it in the for sale add, to make sure they differentiate from a grey market car and they wear i like a badge of honour when talking about the car.

yes the Logic dictates only condition should predicate the price, but the fact is it doesnt, because as we all know, buying cars for us is more emotion than logic.

i cant tell you how many people have leaned into my car , looked at the speedo and said " very nice, a Canadian car too ! "

my $2c. CAD
The following 2 users liked this post by theiceman:
jumper5836 (07-03-2020), lowbee (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 11:00 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I will also be selling my 996Turbo back to the US if I ever sell it which is unlikely. Much bigger market and easy to export back to US. I also sold my US 993 Turbo back to the US. Generally,I prefer US cars from certain good weather states. I’ve bought 3 cars down there and have had good success with all of them. I’m also very very careful about what I buy in the US and from whom.

Quick Reply: US vs Canadian car value