Notices

Nokians on my 911

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 04:19 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nokians on my 911

This will be my 3rd winter in my 997.2 C4S. These cars are so fun in the snow! I've been running a set of 18" Pirelli Sotto Zeros on OZ Allegeritta wheels - 8.5" fronts with 235/40/18 and 11" rears with 265/40/18. Haven't been overly happy with the SottoZeros in snowy weather, so I want to try Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 this winter. But it looks like 265/40/18 isn't available in the Nokians. My tire source suggested running 255/40/18.. Anyone run this size tire on the rear before? Will this mess with my AWD? I feel like they'll be too narrow.. Any insight is appreciated. PIc for attention:

The following users liked this post:
Freakhead (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:25 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

255 45 18 in Nokian R3 is a better conversion.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

don't do it, Nokians are T-Rated from last i checked you car will drive like a Boat on the highway and under braking... ask me how i know

The Pirelli are V-Rated for a reason to simulate summer tire feel/performance

Pirelli are NOT Snow Tires they are Winter Performance classified at All Weather Tires in Europe for year around use hence why they aren't great in "Deep Snow"

Last edited by Zookie; 10-29-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:38 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

FWIW I'm trying Michelin Winter Alpins this year. Look more aggressive than Soto Zeros but not fully hard core. Maybe a good middle ground? I guess we will see!
Old 10-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I would get the cheapest Chineese snow tires if I had to drive the 996. I bet they are just fine even on the 911. I got a new set for the old Passat TDI, should be fun.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger
FWIW I'm trying Michelin Winter Alpins this year. Look more aggressive than Soto Zeros but not fully hard core. Maybe a good middle ground? I guess we will see!
Those are a better option than ****relli. Nokians might be squishy but if you are in a winter wonderland they're fantastic. First snow storm you will be smiling
Old 10-29-2020, 05:54 PM
boman993
Drifting

Ah crap, I was hoping since Porsche Canada runs them at Ice Experience fleet they would be awesome...... Good to know, thanks for the heads up!!

What I hate about the Pirellis is they are sketchy AF on hard-packed snow and ice. I don't feel super confident sometimes. Maybe when new they'll be better. I'm up at MSLMS twice a week so car sees a lot of snowy roads vs cold pavement roads. Sucks there is no in between. Thanks bro.

don't do it, Nokians are T-Rated from last i checked you car will drive like a Boat on the highway and under braking... ask me how i know

The Pirelli are V-Rated for a reason to simulate summer tire feel/performance

Pirelli are NOT Snow Tires they are Winter Performance classified at All Weather Tires in Europe for year around use hence why they aren't great in "Deep Snow"
Old 10-29-2020, 05:56 PM
boman993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gregster
Those are a better option than ****relli. Nokians might be squishy but if you are in a winter wonderland they're fantastic. First snow storm you will be smiling
Thanks for the size recco! I'll price out a set of the Michelins and Pirellis and see what's up.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boman993
Thanks for the size recco! I'll price out a set of the Michelins and Pirellis and see what's up.
Pirelli are hard like a rock when new as well. We have had to warranty enough sets under "satisfaction" because people were like "wtf these things are horrible I have zero grip" it's Nokian, Michelin's or Conti now we only sell. Mostly Nokians though. I didn't buy much into the hype of Nokians until I put a set on my car last year. Yea best winter I've ever driven on and ive been to vendor test days for Michelin and Bridgestone. The R3 has good feedback and will give out very progressively

Last edited by Gregster; 10-29-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:26 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Whatever snow tire you decide on, check the birthday code on the tires.
if you’re paying full price, pay for fresh rubber, not last years stock.
Get it before you pay.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Get it before you pay.
Unfortunately this year getting something made last year is very common depending on size and brand. Nothing really wrong with it tbh. Some people have thick skulls. They want a specific tire with the lastest date code , you get them in they are last year stock and supplier has nothing else. You try to sell them another brand but they insist. Supplier says pound sand we aren't giving you a discount as there is nothing wrong with the tire. All this hassle to make 20-25$ a tire...

Anything on closeout or liquidation will be 17-18 production.

​​​Popular sizes will be new stock but odd stuff or strange brands will be last year. The pandemic has made it worse. 225 45 18 is the most popular this year

Last edited by Gregster; 10-29-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:31 AM
boman993
Drifting

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Get it before you pay.
Originally Posted by Gregster
Unfortunately this year getting something made last year is very common depending on size and brand. Nothing really wrong with it tbh. Some people have thick skulls. They want a specific tire with the lastest date code , you get them in they are last year stock and supplier has nothing else. You try to sell them another brand but they insist. Supplier says pound sand we aren't giving you a discount as there is nothing wrong with the tire. All this hassle to make 20-25$ a tire...

Anything on closeout or liquidation will be 17-18 production.

​​​Popular sizes will be new stock but odd stuff or strange brands will be last year. The pandemic has made it worse. 225 45 18 is the most popular this year

Thanks! Good to know! I am proceeding with the Nokians. The other tires have mixed reviews, but nobody ever speaks negatively about the Nokians despite having a T rating.. also with Covid, most of my travel will be to the hill and back on back roads so not worried about compromising the dry cold pavement performance. Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
Ah crap, I was hoping since Porsche Canada runs them at Ice Experience fleet they would be awesome...... Good to know, thanks for the heads up!!
If you are Tracking the Car in the Snow/Ice on a closed Circuit with no Tarmac then Nokians would be the best for this situation only
Old 10-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zookie
If you are Tracking the Car in the Snow/Ice on a closed Circuit with no Tarmac then Nokians would be the best for this situation only
I rather have a tire that works optimally in snow/ice. You can manage the slight braking or steering feel deficiency on tarmac or the dry with softer tires better than you can manage a hard as a rock tire in the snow/ice

Old 10-30-2020, 12:47 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had for over a decade Nokians on my 993 and the 928. They did not make my car float like a boat and my 993 had H&R Coilovers with RS Sways, lowered and cambered, so not exactly the ideal setup for winter. When I had to drive it, even going up to Squamish and the Coq a few times for work, I felt pretty secure with the traction they provided. then a few years back I drove my 928 in November from Vancouver to Toronto when I moved. 5K Km's on Nokian WR's in very variable and cold conditions. They were truly great.
If I had to look at Winters again for my 993, Nokians for me are a one way street. I take handling on these few maybe , occasions where I would encounter mixed snow/ice conditions anyday over pure dry/wet performance in the winter.

Quick Reply: Nokians on my 911