Notices

I just signed up for crossborderpickups

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 05:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts
Default I just signed up for crossborderpickups

Im thinking with everything going on that border will remain closed for a while so i cant pickup at my usual location

so i signed up filled in my location etc .. then i ordered what i want and used that place as my address ...

so now what ?
do i just wait ? until it gets to the place then they contact me for all the info ?? i guess at some point someone will want to see invoices etc.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2020, 06:26 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 227 Posts

They will email you when your stuff arrived in Niagara Falls, US then ask you to declare their value. They calculate HST and duty (if any) based on that then ask you to pay via CC, they never ask to see an invoice (in my previous 30+ transactions). After you've done all that online, they will ship your package(s) to Canada and you can choose to pick it up or have it mail to you
Old 10-29-2020, 07:36 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That's about it. I just had something arrive there yesterday morning, waiting for the email to come through. It often takes a day for them to process it, but this is a bit slow, maybe a covid thing, dunno. But it's a great service, especially for those "free shipping within the US" things.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:05 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Agree with these other posts. Just make sure you instruct sellers of anything you buy to properly label your shipment with your name and Box number CBP has given you.

They are a little slow these days due to volume and slow processing at the border, but they are reliable.

I found their online forms for declaring the value and source of your purchase clumsy in the past, but they have recently improved this part of the process and my last order thru them was easier.

I’m told there is another firm called Cross Border Express that is lower cost, but I have no personal experience with them.

Last edited by vetfever; 12-20-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Christien
That's about it. I just had something arrive there yesterday morning, waiting for the email to come through. It often takes a day for them to process it, but this is a bit slow, maybe a covid thing, dunno. But it's a great service, especially for those "free shipping within the US" things.
why especially for free shipping things Christien ?
you pay to ship it over anyway ... or am i missing something ?

so basically i wait for them to send me a form then, got it, thanks..i have some time as what i am getting is custom built so i wont get it until January anyway.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:02 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Having a US address lets you take advantage of Free Shipping that USA companies often offer. Yes, you'll pay the reasonable CBP fee for bringing the package over to Toronto, but compare that to the cost of getting that same package shipped to your Canadian address directly.
They are indeed quite busy currently. I waited almost two weeks, from the date my package arrived in NY, to get the notification email. I inquired and was told it currently takes them 7 business days to process.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by olegd
Having a US address lets you take advantage of Free Shipping that USA companies often offer. Yes, you'll pay the reasonable CBP fee for bringing the package over to Toronto, but compare that to the cost of getting that same package shipped to your Canadian address directly.
They are indeed quite busy currently. I waited almost two weeks, from the date my package arrived in NY, to get the notification email. I inquired and was told it currently takes them 7 business days to process.
yeah one of the businesses that has done really well out of covid...

on the other side of the coin CBI USA has completely shut down as 99% of their business was Canadians.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah one of the businesses that has done really well out of covid...

on the other side of the coin CBI USA has completely shut down as 99% of their business was Canadians.
to my knowledge CBI is still in business, just not doing much as waiting for border to open. they were a good business with nice employees and nice new location. tough business to be in during COVID but not cool to say they are out of business unless true.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbodan
to my knowledge CBI is still in business, just not doing much as waiting for border to open. they were a good business with nice employees and nice new location. tough business to be in during COVID but not cool to say they are out of business unless true.
i didnt say out of business, i said shut down...CBI’s customer lobby is closed until the border officially reopens.

Anyone who has the ability to pick up, or have their shipments forwarded, has NO RESTRICTIONS on receiving deliveries at CBI.

Phones are NOT being answered during the closing, email info@cbiusa.com

they will crank back up after the border opens im sure ... i wont be first though , i imagine the lines will be huge.

Last edited by theiceman; 10-30-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I interpreted "completely shut down" to mean out of business. Thanks for clarifying.
I like the CBI and have used them many times over the years. even like the sushi place they are located right behind.
I hope the border opens some time soon and they continue to do business.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I interpreted "completely shut down" to mean out of business. Thanks for clarifying.
I like the CBI and have used them many times over the years. even like the sushi place they are located right behind.
I hope the border opens some time soon and they continue to do business.
im partial to duffs wings across the street, and going to Harbour freight as kinda mandatory.. ..
Old 10-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

+1 for harbour freight. man I miss the buffalo runs
hoping they open up before Hershey in spring.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

+1 for harbour freight. man I miss the buffalo runs
hoping they open up before Hershey in spring.
Gees yeah ur right .. thats gonna come up fast .. in that they will have to make a decision .. i think it is VERY dooable.. that parking lot is huge .. just rent out every other spot instead and that will naturally spread the people out .. i can live without the food vendors if that is what it takes to make it happen..

you would definitely need lots of hand sanitizer as lots of virusus i would imagine move through cash ..
Old 10-31-2020, 02:07 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Clive, I will second what Olegd wrote regarding the time it takes. I did buy something from Garmin, was delivered free of charge to the Niagara Falls address, then I waited and waited for the e-mail from Crossborderpickups. This was my fist time dealing with them and was also a test, the value was small, I could easily afford it going missing if anything. They do have a very useful feature, a Chat button and whoever responds was good and helpful. I did use that. Eventually I got the e-mail. Once you get that e-mail confirmation you have to go in and create a shipping invoice, if you don't do that it will just sit there in Niagara Falls, NY. You also instruct regarding where the item will be shipped, your house or their location in Mississauga or Markham I believe it is. I selected Mississauga. Then you have to save that. I did it two times and the system did not save. I used again the Chat function and the person at the other end saved it for me. Then they asked for the invoice to prove the cost and also asked for country of origin. Took a few more days. Eventually I got a notification it has been received in Mississauga and I can go to pick it up.

This was my experience, I hope yours and others is/will be better

George
Old 10-31-2020, 07:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by george44
Hi Clive, I will second what Olegd wrote regarding the time it takes. I did buy something from Garmin, was delivered free of charge to the Niagara Falls address, then I waited and waited for the e-mail from Crossborderpickups. This was my fist time dealing with them and was also a test, the value was small, I could easily afford it going missing if anything. They do have a very useful feature, a Chat button and whoever responds was good and helpful. I did use that. Eventually I got the e-mail. Once you get that e-mail confirmation you have to go in and create a shipping invoice, if you don't do that it will just sit there in Niagara Falls, NY. You also instruct regarding where the item will be shipped, your house or their location in Mississauga or Markham I believe it is. I selected Mississauga. Then you have to save that. I did it two times and the system did not save. I used again the Chat function and the person at the other end saved it for me. Then they asked for the invoice to prove the cost and also asked for country of origin. Took a few more days. Eventually I got a notification it has been received in Mississauga and I can go to pick it up.

This was my experience, I hope yours and others is/will be better

George
Thanks George, that is an excellent level of detail.
I ordered an upgraded intercooler, so i'm in no hurry, the car still runs.

Quick Reply: I just signed up for crossborderpickups