Notices

MTO - Birthday 'Present'

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 09:57 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 132 Posts
Default MTO - Birthday 'Present'

For those of us living in ON. With an upcoming mid December birthday it dawned on me the other day that I hadn't received my MTO plate validation renewal package, which typically comes many months in advance. Perhaps I'm a little late to the dance on this one as it appears the nice people at the MTO are extending validity until further notice due to Covid. With the three household cars being in my name it's always a bit of a drag handing over $360 for a few stickers. I can't imagine the MTO lineups once they green light the whole thing again with a year +/- of backlog. My local office was horrendously slow at the best of times. Perhaps I should move the cars in to my wife's name and stick her with the bill, and with a July birthday it's much more 'enjoyable' and cleaner removing plate covers in the summer than it is in Dec.

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:48 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
For those of us living in ON. With an upcoming mid December birthday it dawned on me the other day that I hadn't received my MTO plate validation renewal package, which typically comes many months in advance. Perhaps I'm a little late to the dance on this one as it appears the nice people at the MTO are extending validity until further notice due to Covid. With the three household cars being in my name it's always a bit of a drag handing over $360 for a few stickers. I can't imagine the MTO lineups once they green light the whole thing again with a year +/- of backlog. My local office was horrendously slow at the best of times. Perhaps I should move the cars in to my wife's name and stick her with the bill, and with a July birthday it's much more 'enjoyable' and cleaner removing plate covers in the summer than it is in Dec.

Cheers.
Congrats on the freebie. As far as MTO offices are concerned, I haven't been in one in decades. Use Service Ontario and do it on line.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:03 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Congrats on the freebie. As far as MTO offices are concerned, I haven't been in one in decades. Use Service Ontario and do it on line.
And miss out on all of that MTO service counter hospitality!!! I actually wasn't aware you could renew online - you learn something new every day.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:31 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Decades is a bit of a stretch, new photo must be taken every 10 years for driver’s license renewal!
Old 12-06-2020, 12:52 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
Decades is a bit of a stretch, new photo must be taken every 10 years for driver’s license renewal!
Photo at Service Ontario office, not MTO. Same place for OHIP card photo and other Provincial functions, which at least in Ottawa is a vast improvement on the old MTO office horror show.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:24 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

What freebie ??? Mine expired in April and I renewed it last week and I was still charged from April this year to April next year. Same thing on all my other cars when I did them online.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

anytime you renew, even if only a month left I believe they charge full pop. few years ago (back when we paid double price for our sticker in Toronto $180 each car), I waited as my birthday is Feb and don't take Porsches out usually until April so waited 2 months and thought only had to pay for 10 months...no full pop.
My concern not renewing sticker (even though ministry says ok)is if you get in an accident, technically your car is not licensed and insurance could deny coverage. for the amount of saving it could be big nightmare.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:25 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

No freebie at all, other than time value of money :-) Didn't think about the insurance angle but good point.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:43 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
anytime you renew, even if only a month left I believe they charge full pop. few years ago (back when we paid double price for our sticker in Toronto $180 each car), I waited as my birthday is Feb and don't take Porsches out usually until April so waited 2 months and thought only had to pay for 10 months...no full pop.
My concern not renewing sticker (even though ministry says ok)is if you get in an accident, technically your car is not licensed and insurance could deny coverage. for the amount of saving it could be big nightmare.
Plus there is no sense in giving any cop a reason to pull you over. You can not rely on the MTO actually communicating this sticker deferral program to the police.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:09 PM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

you can do online, i did mine last week and got sticker in mail in 3 days, when you pay online you get a document which states you are all paid up awaiting sticker.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:09 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Plus there is no sense in giving any cop a reason to pull you over. You can not rely on the MTO actually communicating this sticker deferral program to the police.
police are well aware of it. I’ve had two separate cops mention it to me with respect to my car. And no I haven’t renewed on either of my cars.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:37 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

No, they are not sending notification of renewal. You can do everything online.
You will need a valid drivers license. Credit card and your ownership in front of you.
You used to be able to type in just the plate number. Now they also require you to type in the sticker permit number.
As above. You can print your temporary “I have paid “ receipt, and you will also get an email confirmation.
Renewal sticker must go ON THE PLATE, not on the “cover”. I always get a giggle out of that. Read the instructions on the sticker 🙂
Old 12-07-2020, 11:25 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

I went to get my sticker and license a month ago and there had to be 50 people in line. No way Jose.

Took 10 minutes on line and had sticker in a week and license a week later.

I'll never go there again unless I need a photo or ......
Old 12-07-2020, 11:31 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
No, they are not sending notification of renewal. You can do everything online.
You will need a valid drivers license. Credit card and your ownership in front of you.
You used to be able to type in just the plate number. Now they also require you to type in the sticker permit number.
As above. You can print your temporary “I have paid “ receipt, and you will also get an email confirmation.
Renewal sticker must go ON THE PLATE, not on the “cover”. I always get a giggle out of that. Read the instructions on the sticker 🙂
I once got a ticket for that, I kid you not!
Since then I always stick it to the plate, its also a good opportunity to clean under the plate cover and examine the mounting hardware.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:44 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
I once got a ticket for that, I kid you not!
Since then I always stick it to the plate, its also a good opportunity to clean under the plate cover and examine the mounting hardware.
They don’t want you moving the plate cover from car to car, ‘sharing’ a sticker.

Quick Reply: MTO - Birthday 'Present'