Notices

So you think you wrote off your 991 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 01:00 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts
Default So you think you wrote off your 991 Turbo?

Check this guy out from Russia I think... I've watched his youtube channel for a while, and the stuff he does is amazing....

P
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-28-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:26 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Great skill and attention to details. I can see how body weld engineer shakes head in disbelief watching this while thinking about endless hours spent to master Fanuc / Kuka programming before mass production gets the green light....
Old 04-24-2021, 10:51 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 147 Posts

Satisfying to watch 100 hours of masterful work condensed into a 20 minute video
Old 04-25-2021, 12:39 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

These guys have time to do this because labor is cheap and lots of time on their hands. There is no way that car is safe again in an accident. They buy trial write offs from Copart and ship them to Russia or Latvia etc. So he's impressive for a YouTube video but there is zero way that would pass here
Old 04-26-2021, 09:45 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
.........There is no way that car is safe again in an accident........
Why is that? The work looks top notch. I've been following this guy for a couple of years and he is good at what he does from what I see.
The following users liked this post:
Lemikson (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
Why is that? The work looks top notch. I've been following this guy for a couple of years and he is good at what he does from what I see.
I think it's opinion...

From what I understand, in Ontario, you take a car with salvage title into an appraiser with connections, and they get it rebranded as fit....

I don't think they do any tests on the vehicle....

... put a shiny coat of matching paint on that 991 Turbo, put the interior back in and you're golden....

..... agree that the work on Arthur's channel does is amazing
Old 04-26-2021, 12:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

there are a few inspection shops in Ontario that check out the car before it is marked fit again. one issue is all of the parts put on the car must have receipts and vin of the vehicle which they came from.
I inspected a car that went through this and the owner had to replace the front bumper after he put on a used part with no receipt or vin of the car it came from. Seems like that would be the biggest issue.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,045 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I think it's opinion...

From what I understand, in Ontario anywhere , you take a car with salvage title into an appraiser anyone with connections, and they get it rebranded as fit....

I don't think they do any tests on the vehicle....

... put a shiny coat of matching paint on that 991 Turbo, put the interior back in and you're golden....

..... agree that the work on Arthur's channel does is amazing
FIFY
Old 04-26-2021, 09:48 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
So you trust some random guy in Latvia welding and bending metal back vs what was built on a modern production line where shells are rejected for poor welds?. Right.. the reason the cars are written off here is the man hours aren't worth the cost of the repair and the car will no longer perform the same in a crash test. This is not simple collision repair. The entire car has been rebuilt.

All the crap ends up in Eastern Europe.

Last edited by Gregster; 04-26-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:45 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
So you trust some random guy in Latvia welding and bending metal back vs what was built on a modern production line where shells are rejected for poor welds?. Right.. the reason the cars are written off here is the man hours aren't worth the cost of the repair and the car will no longer perform the same in a crash test. This is not simple collision repair. The entire car has been rebuilt.

All the crap ends up in Eastern Europe.
Did you watch this guy's work or is this some general comment on bodywork? Cars get branded "rejected" because it costs too much to fix compared to it's value. If you reduce the labour cost, more cars will be repaired, labour in North America is really expensive and not so in other parts of the world. This has nothing to do with the quality of the repair. If you would take time and see what this guy does, you might have a different opinion. Very expensive vintage race cars get repaired like this TT all the time because the cost benefit ratio makes it worth while. The production line weld example is only done because it costs less to throw away the shell than fixing it.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:39 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

I get that the work looks good, and the video was super impressive. I just wouldn't want a car that was sawed in half and then welded back together. Regardless of how good that welding was...
Old 04-27-2021, 03:27 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting, even this thread quickly drifted away from its initial aim. The way I got it was about admiration for a high technical skill and attention to details in an artisan level of craftsmanship execution. Kind of lost art nowadays I would say.

Now, judgments about crashworthiness, spot weld quality acceptance and remedies, write-offs, where the crap ends…
Old 04-27-2021, 11:04 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lemikson
Interesting, even this thread quickly drifted away from its initial aim. The way I got it was about admiration for a high technical skill and attention to details in an artisan level of craftsmanship execution. Kind of lost art nowadays I would say.

Now, judgments about crashworthiness, spot weld quality acceptance and remedies, write-offs, where the crap ends…
The problem is he doesn't have the fancy coffee maker and the fresh baked cookies from the boutique down the street in his waiting room, with the thin, but well endowed blonde receptionist with the short skirt.....
Old 05-06-2021, 08:50 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

I’ve watched this video and I do think this guy does top notch work. Problem is a 991 Turbo isn’t just any car. It’s one of the top performing cars in the market and some owners subject them to crazy g forces on the track. With this in mind, repairing in this fashion without any engineering detail could lead to a failure under these extreme conditions. This is exactly why high end cars repaired like this are only worth a fraction of their non salvage counterparts.

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 05-06-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:56 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
, with the thin, but well endowed blonde receptionist with the short skirt.....
Someone has to pay for that boob job...

Quick Reply: So you think you wrote off your 991 Turbo?