Notices

OT: MP Pensions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 06:31 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
and if I had stayed in private sector I would be making at least 40% more than I have been making in almost 20 years of public sector. Took me 10 years to get to my salary from the private sector. Why did I do it? As a way to contribute to public good. I’ve worked in policing, child protection and now electricity. 2 of those you hope you never need it but are relieved when it is there to help. The other we all use and will continue to use for the rest of our lives and likely for many many generations.
Agreed. I work in the civil service because I like helping people. I get paid very little compared to the private sector.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:16 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by YYZGT3
Agreed. I work in the civil service because I like helping people. I get paid very little compared to the private sector.
Oh great, he's back.

/Sarcasm

If you like helping people, help them get rid of Trudeau and balance the budget.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:30 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

I think people work in the job they do because, on balance, they like the trade-offs.

I do feel it is a stretch to equate civil service to helping people as though that is an actual direct correlation. There are many ways to help people while not working in the civil service... Heck, my partner and I have built and grown a company that now employs 57 people and provides constructive and relevant benefits to society. I like to think that is helping people! I would agree that there are many civil servants who are effective and dedicated, but I have also come across many that very much are not, and take advantage of the size of bureaucracy and the insulting agency effects to carve out a niche that mainly benefits only themselves.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:18 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
I think people work in the job they do because, on balance, they like the trade-offs.

I do feel it is a stretch to equate civil service to helping people as though that is an actual direct correlation. There are many ways to help people while not working in the civil service... Heck, my partner and I have built and grown a company that now employs 57 people and provides constructive and relevant benefits to society. I like to think that is helping people! I would agree that there are many civil servants who are effective and dedicated, but I have also come across many that very much are not, and take advantage of the size of bureaucracy and the insulting agency effects to carve out a niche that mainly benefits only themselves.
That last sentence is an exact description of YYZGT3.
The following users liked this post:
Bud Fox (07-01-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 02:47 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tired of hearing the phrase "public servant" - my biscuits! I have never known a single administrative government worker (my sister included) who could cut it in the private sector after working in the government for more than about 2 years - it ruins them. It's all about entitlements, guaranteed wage increases, job security (impossible to fire), short work days, long maternity and sick leaves, and pensions - all things that don't exist anymore for the private sector. I think Canada needs to go the route of most of the Scandinavian countries, who have a special income surtax on public employees, that recognizes the greater benefits they receive above their supposedly "small" salaries.

However, thanks to the government folks who helped us out during Covid! That could not have been fun.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:58 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by spender
So tired of hearing the phrase "public servant" - my biscuits! I have never known a single administrative government worker (my sister included) who could cut it in the private sector after working in the government for more than about 2 years - it ruins them. It's all about entitlements, guaranteed wage increases, job security (impossible to fire), short work days, long maternity and sick leaves, and pensions - all things that don't exist anymore for the private sector. I think Canada needs to go the route of most of the Scandinavian countries, who have a special income surtax on public employees, that recognizes the greater benefits they receive above their supposedly "small" salaries.

However, thanks to the government folks who helped us out during Covid! That could not have been fun.
A surtax for government workers? The union would never accept that, unless there's a large increase in their pay to offset that. And why would a government alienate the 1,000,000 civil servants plus their families and relatives on top of that? As a block, they're almost guaranteed to vote, so governments need to keep them happy with pay increases annually, or be kicked out of office.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

​​​​​​​
A surtax for government workers? The union would never accept that, unless there's a large increase in their pay to offset that. And why would a government alienate the 1,000,000 civil servants plus their families and relatives on top of that? As a block, they're almost guaranteed to vote, so governments need to keep them happy with pay increases annually, or be kicked out of office.
And you said you were a government worker because you liked helping people despite the lower wages?? You're not sounding so altruistic now....

Last edited by Tj40; 07-12-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:47 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Tj40

And you said you were a government worker because you liked helping people despite the lower wages?? You're not sounding so altruistic now....
I can take a lower salary than the millions of dollars annually that many people get in the private sector by working for the government, but still attempt to get large pay increases. Inflation is ridiculous right now, so I've heard through the grape vine than this next four year contract being negotiated through PSAC is going to be a whopper to ensure we don't fall behind the cost of living.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:50 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

Inflation is ridiculous right now, so I've heard through the grape vine than this next four year contract being negotiated through PSAC is going to be a whopper to ensure we don't fall behind the cost of living.
I suspect the grapevine will disappoint you this time round...
Old 07-12-2021, 06:33 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Not likely. Though any deal will be after the next election I've heard. I've also heard from a federal staffer that the writ will be dropped mid-August, with an election date in the second half of September.

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Old 07-13-2021, 09:11 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
It's all about entitlements, guaranteed wage increases, job security (impossible to fire), short work days, long maternity and sick leaves, and pensions - all things that don't exist anymore for the private sector. .

A little misinformed.

Ontario government freezes broader public sector executive salaries | Globalnews.ca

Oh, and I now have staff that make more money than me. And, I don't have a union to defend me - I can get fired.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:46 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

Not likely.
Time will tell...
Old 07-13-2021, 03:54 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks to me like 1995 all over again. The FED says it will keep inflation in check. That means interest rates will rise. Canada's interest costs on massive debt will sky rocket because of this and the inevitable credit agency downgrades. The already prohibitive taxes are going to become inflexible upwards. No matter who wins in the fall, government costs will have to be reduced leading to budget and staffing cuts and multi year salary freezes. History repeats itself. 1995 all over again.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Welcome to the Rae Days!
Old 07-13-2021, 05:50 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Originally Posted by Imo000
Welcome to the Rae Days!
LOL! Their won't be Rae Days hahaha. With MMT, I think most economists are fine with this level of deficit from what I've heard from people in Treasury Board and Finance. The writ will be dropped in mid-August, with the election late September. If anything, the deficit will increase with all these new spending promising (though I know for a fact that large tax increases are being planned for the wealthy). At least, we've been promised large pay increases which will be finalized with PSAC in early 2022, presuming a Trudeau win. At least that's what the union has communicated to members.

Quick Reply: OT: MP Pensions