Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Schumacher - Netflix

Drops today for those looking to make a couple of hours disappear:

Old 09-16-2021, 04:59 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Just saw it. Relatively little relevant content and/or commentary about his character, personality traits and key moments that defined him and his F1 career. It barely glosses over who he was as a competitor and how he achieved what he did, it literally skips his four years at Ferrari after he won the first championship title for them in 1999 or what he brought to Mercedes, and then jumps to post-skiing accident melancholy showing old family photos for 15 minutes. In contrast to Senna (the movie) that went into considerably more detail about the driver and the man Ayrton Senna was, this one is just a love letter or eulogy to Michael from his family.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (09-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:24 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
Just saw it. Relatively little relevant content and/or commentary about his character, personality traits and key moments that defined him and his F1 career. It barely glosses over who he was as a competitor and how he achieved what he did, it literally skips his four years at Ferrari after he won the first championship title for them in 1999 or what he brought to Mercedes, and then jumps to post-skiing accident melancholy showing old family photos for 15 minutes. In contrast to Senna (the movie) that went into considerably more detail about the driver and the man Ayrton Senna was, this one is just a love letter or eulogy to Michael from his family.
Hum.... thanks for the review..... it doesn't sound very interesting then.... maybe I'll watch it when I am really really bored (never)....haha
Old 09-16-2021, 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Well to be fair only one review so far... I'm sure the fans of the man will have different opinion. Personally i'm not and i lost all respect for him when he intentionally crashed into both Villeneuve and Hill.

But i will watch if we get some reviews to the positive.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
damn really? i was all excited to watch this. Senna (the Movie) was really good tho

Last edited by Zookie; 09-16-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:54 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Just wanted to check if I am totally out in left field about this, but it appears I am not alone... a few reviews that take the same point of view and sum things up better than I could have:

Schumacher documentary a disappointing tribute to an extraordinary life

Why Does Netflix’s New Michael Schumacher Documentary Insist on Applying the Brakes?

Schumacher, review: a catastrophically misjudged positioning exercise for the Schumacher brand
GoTime (09-20-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

You can't have a negative opinion on this film without the Shumie fan base going nuts - sorta like the Musk fanbois. I think he was a great but flawed racer. Note I never called him a sportsman. But then so are most of the multi world champions with maybe the exception of Mika. I don't know if Suhumacher's spouse was always a control freak but I'm certain she is now. From the very beginning she wanted privacy - but also still marketed merchandise and received those profits. She cut out ***** Weber his manager along with other friends. Other than Jean Todt the FIA President and former Ferrari team Principal, very few outsiders have been allowed to visit him. I have no doubts the few that have - have all signed NDA's. I agree with the Telegram's piece - pure brand marketing at the expense of his fans. They want the money and celebrity status but not any of the negative baggage that surrounds it. You're asked to care about the man - but not inquire about his current life. I'll always remember the 20 minutes I spent with him after his car broke down in Montreal and he climbed over the guardrail to stand and watch the rest of practice. He was quite polite and he complemented me on my blue flagging - although he failed to recognize he was talking to me while I was trying to work. (shrugs) Later when I and my buddies were walking to the Metro station at the end of the day we hear a honk from behind. One of my friends say, 'f**k him - this is supposed to be for pedestrians and we continued to keep walking without turning around. Another honk. So I finally look behind us and its Michael and his family in a car and he smiles at me and waves. My friends are freaking out about who it is and I'm laughing as he drives by smirking. I'd rather remember this way than some PR managed pablum piece that Netflix has put out.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 09-16-2021 at 03:23 PM.
928gt (09-16-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:16 AM
ADR944
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking forward to watching this one!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:30 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

i'll pass

id rather be driving..

Old 09-17-2021, 12:58 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I watched it two nights ago. Similar to what has been shared, I found it lacking depth of character. There was nothing new to be discovered. No exploration of defining moments that, as a fan of F1, you know occurred.

On one hand, I admire the preservation of legacy by keeping his post head injury hidden. I suppose they could easily publish multiple updates per year for the sake of hype, headlines, etc... However, it does seem this preservation is also about the elimination of his flaws as a driver, competitor, and champion.

​​​​​​If you haven't watched, and you're a fan of F1, you will gain nothing new. And I suspect most of those brought into F1 through Drive to Survive won't know who he is. But if they watch, this will give them some sense of F1 history cred when discussing the sport. For good or bad.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:51 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

I am have way thru watching it and as others have mentioned the movie is a little lame .... Still worth the watch if you are an F1 fan not so much if you are true Schumacher fan.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't say it was bad because I enjoyed it but hell they completely skipped the years of total domination, especially the 2002 season
Old 09-20-2021, 11:34 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
I wouldn't say it was bad because I enjoyed it but hell they completely skipped the years of total domination, especially the 2002 season
The last 4 of his 5 championships at Ferrari were boring to watch back in the day because they had the best car by far ( just like Merc in the hybrid era ). So watching him win all the time by huge margins doesn’t make for great TV. The odd time Rubens B challenged him, team orders were used to squash it.

But you cannot discount his skill and determination to win.

The scene where he was speaking after Senna’s accident about death lurking around every corner on the race track was eerie to me. When you think there was a rock at the top of a mountain in France quietly waiting to inflict life changing damage to him is so sad.

Last edited by vetfever; 09-20-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:37 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Could have been better, could have been worse...I had high hopes, but they were not met. However, although a lot was skipped, what was there was presented in a reasonably balanced way. The biggest takeaway for me was that his family is committed and close.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:00 PM
RonnyC
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Will definitely watch it.... I still remember vividly when Alesi won in '95 and his car ran out of gas right in front of us, no more than twenty feet away and Schumacher stopped to pick him up.

Schumacher was one of the greatest drivers of all time. A gentleman and a fighter...

Quick Reply: Schumacher - Netflix