Notices

Luxury Tax Proposed in Budget 2021 - New Developments

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 07:46 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Interesting that Bill Moreau, the former Liberal finance minister is very negative on the capital gains move:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...th/ar-BB1lO0oS
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:58 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

The only spending reduction in the budget. Anita Anand calls on all Ministers to find ways to reduce public service headcount by 5000 employees by attrition over a 4 year period.
How hard could this be?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:50 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
Interesting that Bill Moreau, the former Liberal finance minister is very negative on the capital gains move:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...th/ar-BB1lO0oS
What's more interesting is that he hasn't given up on caring about the well being of future generations.

If JT want to stifle future growth opportunities and enact policies that will increase demand for housing thereby creating a rather toxic environment for those that voted him in so be it...
Pags993 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:01 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
The younger generations on aggregate are toast with respect to this goal.

They are reaping what they sow all the while making us richer via ever increasing RE values.

It's a wonderful life...
As has been said, the budget will do little to help the younger generation afford housing in desired areas any time soon if at all. It's not going to bring housing prices down. Last I checked, you still need your own money to pay for the house or to have in RSP to utilize higher home buyers plan amounts etc.

Two points - Would like to hear others opinions on them

1) I don't watch the news but read articles here and there daily. Based on what I have seen, seems there is much talk about housing affordability these days and so and so group cannot afford it. I read an article about a family renting in subsidized regent park, they want to move out but rent is too expensive downtown Toronto. They are new immigrants with a baby on the way. There seems to be NO focus on the fact that maybe you can't live in downtown Toronto on X income, you can't live in Oakville on X income, or downtown Vancouver on X income. Not everybody can afford to live where they want....that's life I'm afraid. Sucks for those coming up now - for sure. But need to look at attracting people to live outside GTA, problem in Canada is that you miss out on aspects of life living outside the GTA or a major centre like Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal. You miss out on facilities, entertainment, job opportunities. It's not like the US that has many major centres where you can thrive in all areas of life without much sacrifice. We can't keep trying to make people live in the GTA, especially with all this new immigration (people aren't going to want to live in basements or boarding houses forever). Once we've built out west to Niagara and north to Orangeville, whats next.

2) The younger generation stands to inherit incredible amounts of wealth. But now we're going to tax it. Thought we wanted to help them. They NEED that inheritance to buy housing in desired areas and to afford life in the future. Incomes alone are not rising enough to cover those costs. Not all will have fantastic money generating careers, earning $500K+ as a household.

Last edited by SToronto; 04-18-2024 at 09:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SToronto:
.2PDK (04-18-2024), 997turbocab (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:01 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rideau
The only spending reduction in the budget. Anita Anand calls on all Ministers to find ways to reduce public service headcount by 5000 employees by attrition over a 4 year period.
How hard could this be?
Probably the forecasted retirement over the next 4 years.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:03 AM
dml
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

@ronnie993tt
Fed tax alone is 37%, Cali state tax is 12% for a total of 49%.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:06 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dml
@ronnie993tt
Using some online calculators, with $500k income. average rate is 43% total.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:17 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by SToronto
As has been said, the budget will do little to help the younger generation afford housing in desired areas any time soon if at all. It's not going to bring housing prices down. Last I checked, you still need your own money to pay for the house or to have in RSP to utilize higher home buyers plan amounts etc.

Two points - Would like to hear others opinions on them

1) I don't watch the news but read articles here and there daily. Based on what I have seen, seems there is much talk about housing affordability these days and so and so group cannot afford it. I read an article about a family renting in regent park, they want to move out but rent is too expensive downtown Toronto. They are new immigrants with a baby on the way. There seems to be NO focus on the fact that maybe you can't live in downtown Toronto on X income, you can't live in Oakville on X income, or downtown Vancouver on X income. Not everybody can afford to live where they want....that's life I'm afraid. Sucks for those coming up now - for sure. But need to look at attracting people to live outside GTA, problem in Canada is that you miss out on aspects of life living outside the GTA or a major centre like Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal. You miss out on facilities, entertainment, job opportunities. It's not like the US that has many major centres where you can thrive in all areas of life without much sacrifice. We can't keep trying to make people live in the GTA, especially with all this new immigration (people aren't going to want to live in basements or boarding houses forever). Once we've built out west to Niagara and north to Orangeville, whats next.

2) The younger generation stands to inherit incredible amounts of wealth. But now we're going to tax it. Thought we wanted to help them. They NEED that inheritance to buy housing in desired areas and to afford life in the future. Incomes alone are not rising enough to cover those costs. Not all will have fantastic money generating careers, earning $500K+ as a household.

Nobody seems to be discussing the "desired area" effect...talk about entitlement.
The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
997turbocab (04-18-2024), RealityGT (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:41 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK

Nobody seems to be discussing the "desired area" effect...talk about entitlement.

Whhaaaaaa you mean I can't just stomp my feet and protest and get a penthouse in Toronto?!!!!

This is the only place in the world you can go and find some common sense these days lol
Old 04-18-2024, 10:25 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
Whhaaaaaa you mean I can't just stomp my feet and protest and get a penthouse in Toronto?!!!!

This is the only place in the world you can go and find some common sense these days lol
I could spend days telling you about my young nephew and his future wife whining about having to pull back on their lifestyle so they can afford a condo in the downtown area...
Old 04-18-2024, 11:01 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 415 Likes on 173 Posts

Great points above pertaining to the "need/want" to live in Downtown Toronto. I simply don't get it.

When we moved back to Canada in 2013 we clearly understood we couldn't afford either Oakville or Downtown Toronto so bought a temp home in Ajax and two years later ended up building a custom home in Ajax and are really settled. When I moved to Dubai in 2004 I was able to witness friends in Toronto and New York struggle over the next 5-8 years in trying to land an affordable place to purchase. My buddy ended up lucking out and bought a condo from a widow who felt smitten with him but he literally had to apply to condo boards and interview in order to purchase a place (he's corporate counsel for the Mets too...LOL). Nothing has changed and it won't...

What I'm getting at here is much like New York and Manhattan, Toronto is Canada's most populous city and its no surprise everyone wants to live in the action. Well....much like those cities the affordability is driven by demand and unfortunately most of us likely could never afford to buy centrally in Downtown; and I'm okay with that. Go elsewhere and carve your future.

Or as noted in a previous post suck up the lifestyle changes to live in Downtown....but why would you?

The following 3 users liked this post by CamsPorsche:
.2PDK (04-18-2024), 997turbocab (04-18-2024), RealityGT (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 11:09 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Cam nailed it...
My wife and I will decide later this year if we sell our primary residence in Etobicoke and move towards the perimeter..
Old 04-18-2024, 12:08 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dml
@ronnie993tt
Yes, Cali and NYC are the worst tax states, but it is still lower than all the provinces except maybe Alberta. S***t gas too. NYC is the worst because there is also a municipal income tax. In the dozen or so no tax states all you pay is federal and some of them are pretty desirable places to live. You have to watch out for muni taxes though. Some of them are pretty onerous but many states wave or reduce taxes for retirees.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:14 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Or as noted in a previous post suck up the lifestyle changes to live in Downtown....but why would you?
To add to my post above.....somebody needs to just say it out load to all the people. It's not the popular thing to say though. The reality needs to register with people so they can re-focus time, energy, resources coming up with alternate plans to be successful elsewhere. What government can do is incentivize business to establish itself in other further out communities. Unfortunately, it's a bit chicken and egg conversation on that front.

I'd love to buy a place in the outskirts, build a sweet garage and have a dream home. But nothing is out there for the kids and us. We want to move up to the next level in home, I'd better do it within the next 2 years or I fear I might be priced out in the market we want. Time to work harder because there's nothing from the government, rather they are making it more difficult. Other option is stay put, it's almost paid off. Buy a second home some place else, in another country perhaps.

What I think they should do more of is making it quite punitive for foreigners to buy property here and misuse the system. @Performante said this earlier. It's too easy for big overseas money to plop down $3+ MM on a home or two and leverage the system to their advantage, putting out local origin buyers. The measures taken thus far are pocket change to many of those foreign buyers. We want wealthy people to invest and live here, but not misuse the system for personal monetary advantage.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche

What I'm getting at here is much like New York and Manhattan, Toronto is Canada's most populous city and its no surprise everyone wants to live in the action. Well....much like those cities the affordability is driven by demand and unfortunately most of us likely could never afford to buy centrally in Downtown; and I'm okay with that. Go elsewhere and carve your future.
People haven't realized that here yet. Like London, Hong Kong, Paris, NYC and so on...not everybody can afford the ideal residence downtown toronto or GTA. Either have to have lower expectations (smaller place, give up something) or move elsewhere.
Pags993 (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Luxury Tax Proposed in Budget 2021 - New Developments