Notices

Winter Driving. - what's in your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:03 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 475 Posts

CAA, always a full tank of gas and Weed. (kidding)

I do want to get one of those small lithium booster packs just in case. My daily is a Touareg TDI with the battery buried under the driver seat, so not easily changed in a parking lot. LOL

Last edited by Adamant1971; 01-05-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

CAA, jumper cables, some warm gloves and a hat.

CAA is so useful.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:07 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Along with most of the listed items the Sequoia packs a couple of shackles and a recovery strap. I started packing them years ago after purchasing the cottage and 4Runner, but I've pulled out more people stuck in around town than up north, gotta love city drivers.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:10 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
CAA card and Jumper cables ( CAA takes over 2 hours to get there these days )
I have one of those portable battery starters. Has saved my butt a couple times already and a few random strangers.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:12 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Some long-lasting ration bars, like millenium bars, can be good. Unlike granola you can throw them in there and forget about them, and they'll be good when you need them. (Which I've found often tend to be of the 'no time to grab lunch before appointment' variety than the stuck under a snow drift, but still useful!) Both those and a couple bottles of water in the glove box have saved me a few times. I'm also a big fan of Element fire extinguishers. Small enough to fit in a door pocket but arguably more effective than big traditional ones.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:15 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnyC
Speaking from experience, we were stranded up north of Haliburton - called Roadside assistance and they mentioned they could come pick us up. However, we were four of us, wife and two children and they could only take two. So I would have to leave my wife and daughter as I am not staying on the side of the logging road that winter night and my son is my first born so he has more rights....

Roadside assistance than would take my son and I to the nearest dealer which was in Huntsville that Sunday night and drop us off... Roadside assistance had no consideration for our accommodations, (where would we stay, shelter, food etc)... once we were dropped off in Huntsville, let alone leaving my wife and daughter 250 km's away in the dead of winter night.

All that talk up of how great these Roadside assistance, it is useless in situations you needed it the most. If I was at home or in the GTA, yes its helpful, but i would also have much more choices to choose from.
In 35 years of driving, urban, rural, across USA and Canada, I have never even thought about a situation like this since it has only been wife and I for the last almost 30 years. I guess in a situation like this you are basically reliant on "call a friend" I would imagine.

I do carry alot of crap in the car. Mostly because I find myself a few times a year in the wilderness doing various activities. In the Porsche, I really only carry a compressor, tire plugs. In the Jeep, I carry:

Variety of tools
Tape
Spade Shovel
Booster pack
Tire Plugs
Compressor
Couple tow straps

All fits nicely under back seat.

Believe it or not, I have a CB radio. When we go north, usually at least 3 or 4 cars, great way to communicate especially for pee and coffee stops. CB radio is completely useless other wise.

Then, I also have a satellite phone in the car. I carry it for work as backup in case cell service goes down. I have made sure that all my friends know where it is and how to use in case they have to make a call when I'm injured.

In winter months, regardless of forecasts, I always bring a heavy winter coat and make sure wife does the same if we are outside of GTA. I will say - knock on wood, in hundreds (thousands?) of drives to the cottage in all types of weather, we have not had any breakdowns.

Last edited by steam_mill; 01-06-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:46 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

Speaking from experience, we were stranded up north of Haliburton - called Roadside assistance and they mentioned they could come pick us up. However, we were four of us, wife and two children and they could only take two. So I would have to leave my wife and daughter as I am not staying on the side of the logging road that winter night and my son is my first born so he has more rights....

Roadside assistance than would take my son and I to the nearest dealer which was in Huntsville that Sunday night and drop us off... Roadside assistance had no consideration for our accommodations, (where would we stay, shelter, food etc)... once we were dropped off in Huntsville, let alone leaving my wife and daughter 250 km's away in the dead of winter night.

All that talk up of how great these Roadside assistance, it is useless in situations you needed it the most. If I was at home or in the GTA, yes its helpful, but i would also have much more choices to choose from.
in that situation, you could be a man and figure it out

Roadside/CAA is responsible for taking your car to a shop, not really a limo service
Old 01-06-2022, 11:11 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
CAA has come to my rescue a couple of time. I trust them. They've always come within the half hour
The credit card companies frequently use the same tow trucks as CAA. I used to have CAA and on one call the driver of the towing vehicle asked me if I had VIsa and why the hell pay extra for CAA? I took his advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by OttawaSteve:
Bud Fox (01-06-2022), JonCanadian (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Mikster
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Jumper cables, matches and a candle, extra wiper fluid, TireJack tire sealant, an electronic flare kit I got at the Car show years ago.
I don't really drive outside of the GTA much.

M
Old 01-06-2022, 02:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Lighter in every car, boat and sled.
Incase my phone battery dies. Now I can make a fire on the shoulder of the 404.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:32 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

In pickup truck that is wearing Nokian winter tires:
  • First Aid Kit - Large
  • Flashlight x2
  • -40 Winter Boots
  • Old snowmobile suit that is more warm than stylish
  • Shovel
  • Booster Pack
  • Booster Cables
  • Socket Set
  • Mini Screwdriver set
  • Recovery Strap
  • Air Compressor
Been meaning to add a blanket, waterproof matches and a few granola bars.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

so i would pose the next question ...... has anyone ever actually used any of the stuff they carry ???

i have not ever had a flat tire in my 40 years of driving,
....ok now that i have said that ....
Old 01-07-2022, 11:30 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

wait - you left your wife and daughter on the side of a logging road at night while you and your son got a drive into town? And it's roadside assistance's fault for not having consideration? Tell me I'm reading this wrong...

Last edited by porsche0nut; 01-07-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:35 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
so i would pose the next question ...... has anyone ever actually used any of the stuff they carry ???

i have not ever had a flat tire in my 40 years of driving,
....ok now that i have said that ....
Old 01-07-2022, 12:29 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts
Default TD road assist as good as CAA?

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
The credit card companies frequently use the same tow trucks as CAA. I used to have CAA and on one call the driver of the towing vehicle asked me if I had VIsa and why the hell pay extra for CAA? I took his advice.
Read this

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/td-a...rning-1520465/

Also, my credit card pays a higher cash back than TD, so it's likely a wash

Quick Reply: Winter Driving. - what's in your car?