Notices

Cayenne GTS vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:52 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Well, if we're spending your money, pony up for the Urus!
🤪😬
Old 01-06-2022, 12:56 AM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I loved my g63. But small issues always seem to pop up. Probably wouldn’t work for you but my dd is a raptor now and It’s perfect for what I need.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:12 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 01-06-2022, 10:12 AM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

Why don't you ask this on the cayenne forum?
Many have cross shopped and bought similar vehicles over there.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:27 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 337 Posts

+1 Raptor, and can't beat the resale either
Originally Posted by Henley1
I loved my g63. But small issues always seem to pop up. Probably wouldn’t work for you but my dd is a raptor now and It’s perfect for what I need.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:33 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
Why don't you ask this on the cayenne forum?
Many have cross shopped and bought similar vehicles over there.
I figured the Cayenne forum would be completely biased while this more general forum may be slightly less biased 😉

plus, there are weather related issues that can pop up so geographically, I thought it good to get other Canadian’s perspective.

But, I’m pretty much sold. Can’t think of any other vehicles and no one here posted anything to change my mind.

mission accomplished!

I have seen some of your comments in the Cayenne sub-forum. It’s been useful trolling those threads. That’s where I learned the glass roof in the coupe is fixed!

Last edited by ggrace; 01-10-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:37 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove a Cayenne Turbo this past summer on both street and track. Mega truck. The sounds it makes, especially when you let off the throttle is very addictive. Too bad you're not into wagons, I was also very impressed with the RS6 -- just needs more exhaust sounds, but what a savage family hauler!
Old 01-06-2022, 11:34 AM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
Thanks, All! I believe I’m looking at 6 months or so for delivery.

I’m not a wagon guy. I respect them for what they are, but I won’t drive one. RSQ8 was right up there with the GTS for me. It’s actually faster, but it sounds neutered. There is no soul in it’s exhaust. I love abs but too much $$$. X5M is supposed to be a great vehicle but I’m not totally sold on its design. I like the Porsche & Audi more.

The Jag was mentioned, and sounds great, but it’s not my style. Feels a bit feminine to my eyes.

Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I wouldn’t regret a Cayenne.
RSQ8 could be a good pick. There was a Lambo/Audi/RR/Bentley mechanic that did an AMA on reddit a few weeks ago. He basically said the Urus and RSQ8 are effectively identical and the only reason someone would go Urus is the brand and added luxury. I'm not sure how usable the space is though as the profile seems closer to the Cayenne coupe. You can't really go wrong with a Cayenne GTS IMO... I debated it when SUV shopping after the GX was stolen but ultimately decided I wanted something more suitable for off road. Hard to believe Toyota 4runners are the same price as second hand Cayennes that are 3-5 years old.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:55 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

RSQ8 is fine but has a few big negatives in my view.
The exhaust is way too quiet, the GTS blows it away without a doubt. If you want a quiet, subdued exhaust though, it may be for you.
Mudi mmi, sorry i hate it with a passion and i'm coming from owning many RS vehicles over the years. I once considered the RS6 but the exhaust and MMI turned me off completely.
My wife has a brand new loaded Q7 and the MMI interface is horrible, but it's otherwise a good family vehicle. Porsche's PCM isn't great, but it's way better than what Audi offers.
Bonus with the GTS if you really want more power, a few grand tune and you've got yourself at least Turbo levels of power now combined with the best exhaust and handling in one package.

Last edited by CanuckGT4; 01-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:06 PM
Abe Evrens
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

Why Not the Macan GTS ? Friend has one and drives beautifully ... plenty of space unless your trucking 4 kids why both with the Cayenne ?
The following users liked this post:
dml (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:25 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

I really do appreciate the feedback!

I was thinking RSQ8 then modify the exhaust but it’s going to be a lease so I’d like to avoid that.

Tuning the GTS has also gone through my head (although I have read the transmission is not as strong as the Turbo transmission, in the name of “weight savings”) but if I blew the motor on a lease because I tuned it, I’d have a big problem!

Macan GTS is really the Turbo rebranded and is a very real option. It actually makes more sense than the Cayenne GTS but I am chasing a V8 rumble and I also perceive the Macan as driven more by females, guys in their 30s and guys over 60. I know, I know - I’m silly!!!
Old 01-06-2022, 03:35 PM
Abe Evrens
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

Go drive one and you may change your mind. Get a black one with some nice 20 inch rims all pimped out and you will likely change your view. Very quick and handles exceptionally well ....
ggrace (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:45 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ggrace
I really do appreciate the feedback!
Tuning the GTS has also gone through my head (although I have read the transmission is not as strong as the Turbo transmission, in the name of “weight savings”) but if I blew the motor on a lease because I tuned it, I’d have a big problem!
I am unaware of anyone having transmission issues with a GTS tune but yes there are a lot of comments on the topic here.
Just keep the tune moderate, like ~100hp/150lbft more and you'll be fine as long as you're not doing launches 10X a day.
That is my plan if i keep it for a few years but not everyone is comfortable tuning vehicles.
ggrace (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 04:49 PM
topspd
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're chasing the V8 rumble, take another look at the RRS. My wife has one (current gen, non-autobiography supercharged V8, almost loaded) and I drive it frequently. It's very luxurious with the full leather package and surprisingly sporty, and it's got a great growl, especially in sport mode. We've had no significant issues in 35k kms, other than once in a while it will indicate a warning about something, that resets after restarting it. I drove a Cayenne GTS in the late fall Porsche road show and in comparison, I found it to be slightly stiffer but with a much more muted exhaust (in sport mode). That particular Cayenne had a lot less kms and had some rattles/squeaks. There's also the RRS SVR if you want more power/noise/cost, or the Jaguar F-Pace SVR with the same engine.
ggrace (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 08:13 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
I am unaware of anyone having transmission issues with a GTS tune but yes there are a lot of comments on the topic here.
Just keep the tune moderate, like ~100hp/150lbft more and you'll be fine as long as you're not doing launches 10X a day.
That is my plan if i keep it for a few years but not everyone is comfortable tuning vehicles.
I tuned my Nogaro Blue B5S4 back in the day. It was a stage 1 - similar gains to what you describe above. You could turn the tune on/off using some combination of buttons in the car. It was amazing to see the performance difference!

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS vs ???