Notices

Heading to Monza for the F1 Race this September - looking for tips/advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 05:13 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Crappy situation but isn't that almost normal for euro courses that are in the boonies?
Old 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Did the race at Monza today. I have been to quite a few races F1, IMSA, and other series including the Indy 500 this past May.

The experience at Monza this weekend was the worst by far, of any I’ve seen anywhere.

Transportation infrastructure is quite bad in n that they added no extra trains on Saturday, so thousands of people were scrambling to get back to Milan late into the evening.

But the worst is how they handled people flow getting into the park and then moving around once inside. You had to scan out using your ticket if you left your grandstand to go to the bathroom, and then after waiting in line 30 minutes to use the bathroom you had to wait in line again to have your ticket scanned to get back into your grandstand. Incredibly frustrating.

Food sales were done using tokens you had to purchase at booths that were few and far between with huge line up’s. Seems They only had a finite number of tokens in circulation, so the token booths quickly ran out of them, and they didn’t have enough people running around collecting the redeemed tokens from the food and drink vendors and running them back in buckets so they could be sold again.

A **** show doesn’t even come close to describing how poorly organized the weekend was. Many other idiotic rules such as the park gate keepers removing the caps from bottled water you were bringing in lest they be hurled at someone or on to the track, and yet you could purchase bottled water once you were inside the park. lol

If you’re an F1 fan looking to do a race in Europe, choose another track.
So sorry to hear!!
Must be the "Netflix effect", ever since "drive to survive", every punter wants to go to an F1 race...
Went to Monza 5 yr ago, it was fabulous, sat at Parabolica, entered the track after the race, walked the track to start/finish and watched the ceremony from the track!!
The "tifosi" are special....
It was the highlite of many Euro F1 races for me...
I think I did warn about transport, best to stay in Milan, rent a car and driver for the day, they will deliver you to a quiet gate and pick you up later, expensive, but not compared to the overall trip cost...
Scanning in and out of the stands (pretty regular these days) was a non issue at that time, and no "tokens" as I recall...
Did Monaco this May, it was pretty well organized...
Old 09-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah, sounds like things gotten worse since I attended.

Ugh. Very frustrating and disappointing.

I can handle a little nonsense, but there's only 'so' much you can tolerate. It's Milan, not the Sardinian hinterland (with respect to the Sardinians).

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-12-2022, 12:05 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
If you’re an F1 fan looking to do a race in Europe, choose another track.
If you are a F1 fan just do Abu Dhabi by far the most advanced and best organized F1 Race and over all event I been to (5 times again this year so 6th) and its not even expensive, literally half the price of Montreal F1 Weekend.
Free Parking, Free Shuttle, No Traffic in and out, Each grandstand has its own Food and Events so its not crowded and very minimum walking. Free Live Concerts 4 Nights with A-List Artists and Very SAFE!
Weather is awesome and grandstand seats are comfortable.

But I did notice last December lots of Drive to Survive fans were just there for the clout unlike he previous years.

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-12-2022, 05:29 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks Zookie

Going to look into it 👍
The following users liked this post:
Zookie (09-13-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 02:28 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I took my family (3 kids under 10) to Budapest - wow let me tell you how horrific the transportation to and from the Hungaroring was! it was only 20 miles outside of the city too.... at one point i was ready to pony up and pay for a helicopter ride vack ito the city.

Race was great though
Zookie (09-19-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:15 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I picked up an 85" TV, added a couple of rows of theater seats, a middle of the road sound system with in-wall speakers and Sunday mornings have never been better. Yes not quite the same sounds & smells (of the cars that is) - some of the other smells I could do without.
Zookie (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:16 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
I picked up an 85" TV, added a couple of rows of theater seats, a middle of the road sound system with in-wall speakers and Sunday mornings have never been better. Yes not quite the same sounds & smells (of the cars that is) - some of the other smells I could do without.
ill be honest - i have been to many F1 Races (10+) but nothing compares to watching the Race at Home with the Boys and having Waffles with Strawberries and Whip cream and Mimosas to drink.
I have yawned my face off at most races half way thru the race at the venues, watching just one corner/straight of the race is hella boring after 20 mins lol
LZRD GRN (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:49 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fear of pushing and showing is what prevented me form attending Monza. I've been to Monaco at least 10 or 12 times in the last 20 years and save for the SNCF the rest was top (SNCF stands for the French railways, I'm not a millionaire and it is not once in a lifetime trip for me, best one can do is stay in Nice and take the train to Monaco). All the advice noted and God willing I will go to Monza once in my life but the feedback is terrible

Thanks Zook for the feedback on Abu Dhabi, that is how it is meant to be, civilized. And I agree 100%, best place to watch a race is at home in front of your wide screen TV. But you won't get the atmosphere and this is what brought me back to Monaco year after year
Old 09-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by george44
Thanks Zook for the feedback on Abu Dhabi, that is how it is meant to be, civilized. And I agree 100%, best place to watch a race is at home in front of your wide screen TV. But you won't get the atmosphere and this is what brought me back to Monaco year after year
Welcome!! Also the Free Shuttle from Yas Mall which has Free Parking will drop you off at your Grand Stand, so you are walking for a whole 2 mins. All the Grand Stands are inter connected or you can take the shuttle to another for a different atmosphere as each grand stand has its own theme, the one i was at in 2021 was the Ferrari / Mercedes Grand Stand, but all the party was at the Red Bull / Aston Martin Grand Stand . Also Bottled Water is free just help yourself to the Cooler which are placed all over and always stocked.

Last edited by Zookie; 09-20-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:00 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Fear of pushing and showing is what prevented me form attending Monza. I've been to Monaco at least 10 or 12 times in the last 20 years and save for the SNCF the rest was top (SNCF stands for the French railways, I'm not a millionaire and it is not once in a lifetime trip for me, best one can do is stay in Nice and take the train to Monaco). All the advice noted and God willing I will go to Monza once in my life but the feedback is terrible

Monza works if you stay at a good hotel in Milan, and rent a car and driver for the day for the trip to Monza...
Drivers know the best gate to drop you off and do pickup, they often stay in Monza for the day.
Avoids all or most of the nasty stuff....

For Monaco, try staying in Menton, it is generally cheaper, and the trains from there to Monaco are much less busy than from Nice...
And it is a really nice town!!

And occasionally you may be able to find a Beausoleil hotel within walking distance to the Monaco track, although most of these are booked early!!

You MUST do Monza at least once...
Old 09-21-2022, 10:22 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are definitely correct about Menton but I love Nice and Cour Saleya.... and I've found a 4 star hotel with a very good price on Promenade des Anglais, have stayed there many times. But will try Menton next year

George
Old 09-21-2022, 11:20 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

You are definitely correct about Menton but I love Nice and Cour Saleya.... and I've found a 4 star hotel with a very good price on Promenade des Anglais, have stayed there many times. But will try Menton next year

George
There are a number of good hotels on the Promenade in Menton as well, likely a little cheaper, but I understand the appeal of Nice, especially if you know the hotel already...
I am generally in Monaco every May, if you want to pm me, we can share details in case I can be of help at any time...
Cheers!

Quick Reply: Heading to Monza for the F1 Race this September - looking for tips/advice