Importing from us

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 11:23 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
beers for everyone on this thread?
Absolutely! The beers will be bought and paid for from my refund. Only catch is you have to come to New Brunswick to enjoy the beer while we watch the tides of the Bay rise and fall and talk P-cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by No_snivelling:
Soup (04-13-2022), Turbodan (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 11:50 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I'm going back 15 years, but bought a car out of the US. The only hiccup I had is, if you're planning to drive the car back, you likely need some sort of temporary plate.
Yeh, this is a grey area I found out as well.

I had temporary 'transport' paper license plate for the US state I driving in and where the car came from. I also had temporary insurance based on the VIN from ICBC, in Canada (BC) and I was told by the insurance broker that once in BC, go to any ICBC broker and they will print out temporary BC plates (this wasn't true, it seemed..). The broker just told me to drive to the nearest 'out of province' inspection centre...they said I was covered as I had insurance on the VIN and was displaying a 'plate'... (even though it was a US temp paper one). they had no idea it seemed. Eventually I decided to just drove home (500kms), had the car inspected the following day and registered it.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems we all have a story. I got pulled inside and given the third degree by a complete a$$hole of a cbsa agent. Left me waiting for half an hour, when he came back he had printed out some ads from auto trader - "I found the same car for $2-3000 more all over the place". Dude had no concept of wholesale vs retail (I was importing a car I'd bought at a dealer auction). Despite me showing him the invoice from the auction, the wire transfer, the bank account showing the wire transfer (and nothing else similar) he still kept me waiting another half hour. As if I'm going to risk my dealer license over a few hundred dollars in HST. Absolute asshat.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:59 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Seems we all have a story. I got pulled inside and given the third degree by a complete a$$hole of a cbsa agent. Left me waiting for half an hour, when he came back he had printed out some ads from auto trader - "I found the same car for $2-3000 more all over the place". Dude had no concept of wholesale vs retail (I was importing a car I'd bought at a dealer auction). Despite me showing him the invoice from the auction, the wire transfer, the bank account showing the wire transfer (and nothing else similar) he still kept me waiting another half hour. As if I'm going to risk my dealer license over a few hundred dollars in HST. Absolute asshat.
I never experienced anything like this. Maybe they're more friendly here in BC.... or maybe the 996 is so unloved by 98% of people that they thought it's worthless anyway...

The guy in the US export office however said to me (after he went out to check the car) - "nice car, you've got a great deal there buddy!".
Old 04-08-2022, 12:03 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

Similar experience to Christien where I imported an E36 M3 sedan when I was living in Vancouver and CBSA read out a laundry list of what I could be charged with as they believed I wasn't telling the truth for what I paid for the car. Showed them bank transfer, ad for sale, PPI including recommended repair costs etc. In the end, they let me go and the agent looked disappointed that he couldn't throw me in the slammer. My experience has mostly been positive, but that one was the worst of it.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:13 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 463 Posts

I've got lots of stories

Brought a 1967 Z28 project car into Canada in 2005. $50k US for a non running car with new quarters tacked on etc. When the CBSA guys came out to inspect it, one of them said to me, "you paid $50K for this piece of ****?". I smiled and said yes, it's a very rare car. He proceeds to call over some other agents and says, "look at what this guy spent $50K on!" as they all had a good laugh.
The following 5 users liked this post by Onami:
Bud Fox (04-08-2022), Nate Tempest (04-08-2022), reacp911 (04-08-2022), rich_r (04-08-2022), Soup (04-13-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 12:44 PM
dromoher
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great information and interesting stories, unfortunately I didn't get the car I was interested in but gave me clarity in bringing a car across the border, I think I will use a broker if I'm successful in the future. Thanks guys for your information and sharing your stories.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
As a dealer like you give a **** about HST. It's 100% recoverable.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:02 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Rolling into Sarnia with my buddy's 968. After being directed to the pay your pound of flesh building a pack of female CBSA agents descended upon the car separating my buddy and I and giving us the third degree. Wouldn't even let me take a ****.
All talk. No listen. We let them vent their hot air. Nothing came of it.

Friendly female CBSA agent ... I can't read your licence plate. That's because I don't have one. Tiny trip permit from Illinois in the back window of my red 996 GT3. Paid my $$$ and went on my way. Hauled *** on the 407. No bill that time.

Was driving down to the RVIA RV trade show in Louisville KY back in the late 90s. Female US agent grilled us that we were going to buy an RV. No we are buying 100. Insisted we had cash. Few hundred bucks between us. As usual all talk, no listen.

Quick Reply: Importing from us