Notices

Importing from us

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 05:43 PM
dromoher
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Importing from us

I'm looking at buying a 30year old + car on BAT. Wondering what taxes I'll have to pay, I'm guessing GST but curious about excise tax on a german car. Also, can I do all the delivery by broker. Thanks for any help with this

Old 04-06-2022, 06:14 PM
alexb930
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at a few online brokers, it seems to be something like:
  • Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicle Fee: $200 fee on all vehicles.
  • Import duty: 6.1% tax on non-NAFTA vehicles (Porsche)
  • Goods & Service Tax (GST): 5% of total vehicle value
  • Provincial Sales Tax (PST): 7% in applicable provinces
  • Air Conditioning Tax: $100 fee to be paid if the vehicle has air conditioning.
  • Gas Guzzler Tax: depending on the fuel efficiency of the vehicle, additional fees can be applied, ranging from $1,000 – $4,000, but this only applies to vehicles that have a weighted average fuel consumption rating of 13 or more litres per 100 kilometres or lower.
  • Customs Clearance: clearing customs is a $355 fee applied to any car imports.
Source w/ no affiliation:
  1. https://borderbuddy.com/importing-ca...-us-to-canada/
  2. https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...-us-to-canada/

If you do go through with a purchase from BAT, I would be interested in the complete details (post or PM).
Old 04-06-2022, 06:49 PM
dromoher
Advanced

Originally Posted by alexb930
Looking at a few online brokers, it seems to be something like:
  • Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicle Fee: $200 fee on all vehicles.
  • Import duty: 6.1% tax on non-NAFTA vehicles (Porsche)
  • Goods & Service Tax (GST): 5% of total vehicle value
  • Provincial Sales Tax (PST): 7% in applicable provinces
  • Air Conditioning Tax: $100 fee to be paid if the vehicle has air conditioning.
  • Gas Guzzler Tax: depending on the fuel efficiency of the vehicle, additional fees can be applied, ranging from $1,000 – $4,000, but this only applies to vehicles that have a weighted average fuel consumption rating of 13 or more litres per 100 kilometres or lower.
  • Customs Clearance: clearing customs is a $355 fee applied to any car imports.
Source w/ no affiliation:
  1. https://borderbuddy.com/importing-ca...-us-to-canada/
  2. https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...-us-to-canada/

If you do go through with a purchase from BAT, I would be interested in the complete details (post or PM).
Add in the CAD and it makes it pretty pricey even wit a deal, if there's such a thing on BAT.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

since it is over 25 years old all you pay is HST. Last time I did this I had to inform the customs guy and he said...oh ya.
very easy to do. just notify us customs 72 hours in advance and provide the VIN. you can even email it.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:02 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 463 Posts

Yep…no duty on 1997 and older this year. HST, a/c tax, riv fee, brokerage if you use a broker.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

no RIV fee. RIV is only for 15 years old or newer.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:15 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Dead easy! If you also need transport, call TFX. They will take care of the customs work as well. I used them March 2021 for a US car.

You just pay the tax when you go to register the vehicle.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:45 PM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

TFX provided me a reasonable price late last year, but instead I decided to collect the car and bring it across myself (into BC). With transport to collect the car, fuel to get home etc etc, I saved myself over $2000.

As above, since the car is over 25 yeas old, there's no import duty. Just the GST. For my situation, this was paid at the border when I brought the car over.

Last edited by rich_r; 04-06-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:12 PM
dromoher
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 04-07-2022, 12:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to do this as part of my job. When you're outside RIV it's WAY easier. Check your border crossing - they don't all accept emailed VINs and not all border crossings allow the import of cars (at least here in Ontario, for example at the local Toronto crossings in Niagara/Buffalo area, you have to cross at Queenston/Lewiston). Get the VIN to the border crossing at the specified time, show up with all paperwork including invoice, evidence of wire transfer, etc, pay the GST, then you register it as you would any other used car that you bought locally, and pay PST at the time of registration. And yes, 25+ years old means no duty. The border guards don't always know this and might still charge you - no big deal, you can reclaim it later.

If you use a transport company, have them do all the border BS, they usually charge an extra couple hundred dollars and is worth it. Though I will say, going to pick it up is more fun - it's like your honeymoon with the car
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-28-2023)
Old 04-07-2022, 12:58 PM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I used to do this as part of my job. When you're outside RIV it's WAY easier. Check your border crossing - they don't all accept emailed VINs and not all border crossings allow the import of cars (at least here in Ontario, for example at the local Toronto crossings in Niagara/Buffalo area, you have to cross at Queenston/Lewiston). Get the VIN to the border crossing at the specified time, show up with all paperwork including invoice, evidence of wire transfer, etc, pay the GST, then you register it as you would any other used car that you bought locally, and pay PST at the time of registration. And yes, 25+ years old means no duty. The border guards don't always know this and might still charge you - no big deal, you can reclaim it later.

If you use a transport company, have them do all the border BS, they usually charge an extra couple hundred dollars and is worth it. Though I will say, going to pick it up is more fun - it's like your honeymoon with the car
Agree, more fun getting the car yourself!

I paid a broker $75 to fill out and submit the paperwork for me. Personally I would do the same again, they know who to email and what documents to send to the US export office at the border. Plus they will advise you which crossing point you can use etc. As said above, not every port of crossing does the export/import stuff.

But if you don't want the drive, then just pay a company like TRX to do the whole thing for you end to end.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:06 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Also, if you drive/tow across yourself, be prepared for a proper grilling if you get the wrong agent. I've driven across and had them not even come out to see the car and I've been separated from the guy driving my car across in his trailer on another occasion. We had our phones taken from us, they kept us in separate rooms for 30 mins, took all of my info on the price, seller, receipts, wire info, my ebay username and even called the guy that I bought the car from at 6 am his time to verify the selling price. All good in the end, but they also "informed" me that they had already confiscated 20 cars that month from people who tried to avoid paying taxes.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:11 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Also, if you drive/tow across yourself, be prepared for a proper grilling if you get the wrong agent. I've driven across and had them not even come out to see the car and I've been separated from the guy driving my car across in his trailer on another occasion. We had our phones taken from us, they kept us in separate rooms for 30 mins, took all of my info on the price, seller, receipts, wire info, my ebay username and even called the guy that I bought the car from at 6 am his time to verify the selling price. All good in the end, but they also "informed" me that they had already confiscated 20 cars that month from people who tried to avoid paying taxes.
+1 - in a younger life I was one of those idiots that tried to save a few $ on taxes (new job out of Uni, new mortgage and very little disposable - other than of course for the motorcycle toy I was buying and couldn't afford). Needless to say it didn't go very well but could have been a lot worse in hind sight. Bike and rented F150 I was using to bring it back with were both confiscated (for a very brief period of time) but I did keep the paperwork to remind myself of how foolish I was being trying to save a buck. For the next decade I was pulled in to secondary inspection more frequently than desired, which was a royal pain in the ****, especially when traveling for work.
The following 3 users liked this post by pfitzsim:
Bud Fox (04-08-2022), Nate Tempest (04-08-2022), Onami (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Actually, I left out part of my story. The car was a 67 Corvette that I bought on ebay in MN from a 72 YO guy. it was $50k and he insisted on giving me a receipt for $30K. I told him that I needed to clear customs and didn't want any trouble so I just wanted a receipt for the $50k. He wouldn't take no for an answer, so I asked that he give me both receipts. At the border, I handed in the actual $50K receipt. When they called the fellow, of course he told them that I only paid $30K! When the customs officers came to get me they started walking me back to the interrogation room. They said they only take people back there when they are facing charges...but they wanted to hear my story. They asked again, what I paid for the car. I said $50K. They then said that the seller said you paid something else. I explained what happened and they had a good laugh while I cleaned up my shorts. They said that I made a very smart move...
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-28-2023)
Old 04-07-2022, 07:42 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
... customs 72 hours in advance and provide the VIN. you can even email it.
Canadian customs or US? Last time I did this I didn't tell the canadians anything. I just showed up at canadian customs in windsor and they didn't bat an eye.

Quick Reply: Importing from us