Notices

OT - Toronto recs for restaurants

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 09:01 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts
Default OT - Toronto recs for restaurants

Hi guys, Nat and I are heading to Toronto for a family visit and to be, well, tourists. Not really that familiar with the city, it's usually been in and out for business.

Would be grateful for some recs on casual but 'can't miss' dining and drinking/bars accessible by subway. We'll be based at the Omni King Edward. Have reservations at Aloette, tickets to Drive by Truckers at the Danforth, otherwise keeping options open. Ideally would like recs for what's truly unique and excellent in TO. Best spots for Chinese (Sichuan/Xian/Cantonese)? Pakistani, Indian? Italian? Spanish?

Not looking for a Canoe or Alo uber high end deal - would love to try some of your local casual authentic gems, just like I'd steer you in Montreal to a full fat smoked meat at Schwartz, a Falafel at St-Jacques, goat roti at Caribbean Curry House, hand pulled noodles at Lanzhou, steak frites at Tuck Shop, etc...

Thanks in advance for sharing your favourites.

Cheers

Matt

Old 04-21-2022, 10:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

haven't been since COVID but Italian food, Sotto Sotto.
The following users liked this post:
Overdraft (04-24-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 11:41 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Aloette is great, obviously not at the same level as Alo but you can't go wrong. Some top of mind spots I'd recommend although most likely a bit more upscale... all are worth a look at minimum.

DaiLo
Mimi Chinese
Neon Tiger
Pai
Kiin
Patois
Giulietta
Osterio Giulia
Piano Piano
Dova
Patria
Bar Isabel
Bar Raval

If I give it some thought I'm sure I can recommend a few more casual spots too...
Rubystar (04-03-2024)
Old 04-21-2022, 11:45 PM
Vise
Drifting

Also if you haven't had Hakka try Yueh-Tung for the chili chicken + crispy beef. So good.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:32 AM
blotto649
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

East Indian curry - Roti Mahal
West Indian curry - Island Foods
Thai - Salad King (casual), Khao San Road (little fancier)
Breakfast - Bonjour Brioche, The Senator
Sandwich at Porchetta and Co.
St. Lawrence Market on Saturday mornings is a great foodie stop. There are almost too many options!
Old 04-22-2022, 08:43 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by blotto649
East Indian curry - Roti Mahal
West Indian curry - Island Foods
Thai - Salad King (casual), Khao San Road (little fancier)
Breakfast - Bonjour Brioche, The Senator
Sandwich at Porchetta and Co.
St. Lawrence Market on Saturday mornings is a great foodie stop. There are almost too many options!
You'll love Aloette. It's one of me and my wife's favourite restaurants. We liked it much more than Alo. Alo I found tries to be like a Michelin star restaurant but the food doesn't really line up (IMHO) with the best out there. Probably wasn't fair but we were at the French Laundry not too long before going there so expectations were probably a bit high...

St. Lawrence market is a great suggestion. I would share a couple things with your wife - Carousel Bakery for their Peameal Bacon Sandwich (add some of the mustards if they're offering them); Moustauchios (killing the spelling) downstairs for their veal parm sandwich and Buster's Seacove for the swordfish sandwich (but its hard to go wrong with others).

Vise has a lot of good suggestions in his list. Mimi, Pai, Kiin, Bar Isabel and Bar Raval. Another really good thai place that's near St. Lawrence market is Sukothai (I think Pai, Khao San Road and Sukothai are all comparable).
Old 04-22-2022, 08:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I'm so out of Toronto restaurant scene, since moving out and having kids!

While you didn't have Mexican on the list, Milagro on Mercer is great for it, authenticity to it.

not sure what's on offer now with COVID, but King Edward had a great breakfast buffet.

Last edited by SToronto; 04-22-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:59 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

Midtown gems include Sorrel, Scaramouche, Capocaccia, Terroni patio in summerhill is cougar central

Last edited by Bud Fox; 04-22-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Rubystar (04-03-2024)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:40 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Aloette is great, obviously not at the same level as Alo but you can't go wrong. Some top of mind spots I'd recommend although most likely a bit more upscale... all are worth a look at minimum.

DaiLo
Mimi Chinese
Neon Tiger
Pai
Kiin
Patois
Giulietta
Osterio Giulia
Piano Piano
Dova
Patria
Bar Isabel
Bar Raval

If I give it some thought I'm sure I can recommend a few more casual spots too...
This is a very good list. Osterio Giulia is very good but you need to book early. I think that would be a good choice for you. The only one I disagree with on this list is Mimi, which in my opinion, is highly overrated and actually quite boring.

Aloette is good but has lost a bit of its lustre during Covid. Alo bar is a better option but pricier than Aloette. Alo, along with Langdon Hall, Pearl Morrisette and Sushi Kaji are (again, in my opinion), the best restaurants in Southern Ontario. I have it from good sources that Michellin is finally coming to Canada and I would expect that Alo and Langdon Hall will be on the list.
Rubystar (04-03-2024)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:43 AM
dawndadda
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

As many have already said, Bar Raval and Bar Isabel for Spanish food.

Karahi Boys is great for Pakistani food - among their many GTA locations, they have a huge space that was once a Nando's on Queen West.

It's not sit down so much as take out, but if you want to try imo Toronto's best Jerk Chicken, it's on Eglington West at Rap's. Go later on in the evening when the grill is going outside.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:39 AM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by moab
The only one I disagree with on this list is Mimi, which in my opinion, is highly overrated and actually quite boring.

Alo, along with Langdon Hall, Pearl Morrisette and Sushi Kaji are (again, in my opinion), the best restaurants in Southern Ontario.
Yeah funny, we haven't been to Mimi Chinese yet but have heard good things from friends and through reviews so was on our (always long) list of places to try next. Will take that under advisement.

On Alo, completely agreed... having tried many Michelin star spots in the US + Europe + Japan I'd put Alo at a 2 star easily. IMO not sure about the comment on the food being better at Aloette as they are very different things... have also eaten at The French Laundry (and Per Se, Eleven Madison Park, etc) and Alo is still up there. Best meal I've had in Canada by some margin, happy we snagged reservations for the Kitchen Table tasting again in May.

In terms of other top spots I would also add Edulis and Restaurant 20 Victoria. Had an excellent meal at the latter in March, not at the same level of Alo but excellent combo of food + wine + service by a group that clearly loves what they are doing. Haven't been to Pearl Morrisette yet but also high on our list, thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:22 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yeah funny, we haven't been to Mimi Chinese yet but have heard good things from friends and through reviews so was on our (always long) list of places to try next. Will take that under advisement.

On Alo, completely agreed... having tried many Michelin star spots in the US + Europe + Japan I'd put Alo at a 2 star easily. IMO not sure about the comment on the food being better at Aloette as they are very different things... have also eaten at The French Laundry (and Per Se, Eleven Madison Park, etc) and Alo is still up there. Best meal I've had in Canada by some margin, happy we snagged reservations for the Kitchen Table tasting again in May.

In terms of other top spots I would also add Edulis and Restaurant 20 Victoria. Had an excellent meal at the latter in March, not at the same level of Alo but excellent combo of food + wine + service by a group that clearly loves what they are doing. Haven't been to Pearl Morrisette yet but also high on our list, thanks for the reminder.
100% on Alo as a world class place compared to the very good places you list , all of which I have visited. In the US if you have a chance, the Inn at Little Washington is a place to stay and have an amazing meal.

In Toronto if the OP wants a good pub meal then Allen's on the Danforth is very good and has a great back yard.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:56 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 720 Likes on 339 Posts

Agree 100% on Alo, it's solidly 2 star. We really like Miku, although it can be a little noisy sometimes. Jacobs has some interesting steak choices and sizes and a lovely wine list.
Antler can be interesting.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:57 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Agree 100% on Alo, it's solidly 2 star. We really like Miku, although it can be a little noisy sometimes. Jacobs has some interesting steak choices and sizes and a lovely wine list.
Antler can be interesting.
I think Jacobs is gone, though could be wrong. Lots of places gone these days. Agree on it being good!
Old 04-22-2022, 04:01 PM
Vise
Drifting

Jacobs is still there although the parent company went bankrupt early in the pandemic. Wiped out $35M in debt across their empire (including Buca) which is a bit nuts.

Still the best steakhouse in the city IMO as much as I also enjoy Barberian's and Harbour 60.

Quick Reply: OT - Toronto recs for restaurants