Notices

Heated seat subscription

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 10:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

From what i have read there may be more to it .. if you purchase the the heated seat option they are yours thats it end of, no subscription. This offering will be for those who DO NOT order heated seats, they have the option down the road for turning them on. I think that is not actually a bad option.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:57 AM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
From what i have read there may be more to it .. if you purchase the the heated seat option they are yours thats it end of, no subscription. This offering will be for those who DO NOT order heated seats, they have the option down the road for turning them on. I think that is not actually a bad option.
I didn't get the nav option on my car, but there is still a button for it. When I press it, it says something like "function not available. I'm surprised it doesn't say "you didn't get this option, cheapskate"
Old 07-19-2022, 11:27 AM
DCYT
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't subscription = lease?
Seems like a catch phase for a legacy business model.

This might impact 2nd or 3rd owners .... but brands who are moving to this business model primary focuses and caters to first owners.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

what about sunroof delete? would everyone get the sunroof and only subscribers get to open it..everyone gets the extra weight up top? when do you find out what they are loading your car with that isn't active?
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbodan:
dml (07-21-2022), reacp911 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
I didn't get the nav option on my car, but there is still a button for it. When I press it, it says something like "function not available. I'm surprised it doesn't say "you didn't get this option, cheapskate"
lol... im sure there will be an update down the road... when you get stuck in a traffic jam it will pop and say " are you sure ??? ... "
Old 07-21-2022, 09:56 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I had a 19 Cayenne, thought it was cheap of Porsche to use a standard button text template around the shifter. Due to the nature of the setup and black plastic, you could read the options I did not get under bright light. Haha.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:34 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I had a 19 Cayenne, thought it was cheap of Porsche to use a standard button text template around the shifter. Due to the nature of the setup and black plastic, you could read the options I did not get under bright light. Haha.
You need more options to fill the blanks:

Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDMcG
You need more options to fill the blanks:
This is what a 19 Cayenne panel looks like, here's mine. Should be the same concept on your new Cayenne. Look at the red circles, those are options I DID NOT have. Thought they could've done better to not have them visible through the black plastic. But didn't loose sleep over it, it's just something that could've been done better, albeit at higher cost.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:49 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
This is what a 19 Cayenne panel looks like, here's mine. Should be the same concept on your new Cayenne. Look at the red circles, those are options I DID NOT have. Thought they could've done better to not have them visible through the black plastic. But didn't loose sleep over it, it's just something that could've been done better, albeit at higher cost.
They probably want them to be visible in order for you to be constantly reminded of what you could have had but "cheaped out" on.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (07-25-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 10:53 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928gt
They probably want them to be visible in order for you to be constantly reminded of what you could have had but "cheaped out" on.
Yeah probably and for friends to notice and ask, for further embarrassment.

The 19 Cayenne is for sale.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:39 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I spoke to a friend in Portugal, he has a BMW, from his description it works like this,

You can 'buy' the function of a one time fee, either when you buy the car or anytime after
If you don't buy the function you can pay $10 per month to have them activated
BMW will offer discounts for paying for 12 months up front - or you can buy the function outright

Of course this is a great business model for BMW - especially on lease cars - original owner buys the function but on lease return BMW can reset and sell the feature again to the second owner.....
I think Tesla came in for a bit of flack when second hand cars through their dealers were coming with less options than the original window sticker so this is not necessarily new.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:03 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

how's this for scary:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/2...-seats-feature

And I was incredulous when my porsche SA told me heated seats used to be an extra cost option on some porsches.

Why is this scary? The producer installs heated seating in all of its vehicles - instead of just most of them since very few don’t have it - thereby reducing its production cost per unit. It charges the consumer on a needs basis. In the end the consumer gets what they want and the producer increases the margin per unit. My friends with them tell me Tesla works this way.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:15 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
Why is this scary? The producer installs heated seating in all of its vehicles - instead of just most of them since very few don’t have it - thereby reducing its production cost per unit. It charges the consumer on a needs basis. In the end the consumer gets what they want and the producer increases the margin per unit. My friends with them tell me Tesla works this way.
There is something morally repugnant about this type of marketing. Its like ryanair charging for bathroom breaks
Old 07-25-2022, 11:02 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll pass thanks.

Quick Reply: Heated seat subscription