Notices

Truck aftermarket alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 12:39 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

When they know you have an alarm they cut the horn before attempting to steal….saw it all unfold on a buddies ring doorbell when they stole his F150.
Best bet is to get a good mechanic to install a fuel cutoff switch(basic on/off toggle)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:48 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
Has anyone used the TAG trackers?....they install multiple trackers and there is no monthly fee. Mandatory in Quebec apparently but have no knowledge re Ontario.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/l...ontent=driving
Have this on my Honda Pilot. The local manager was a client of mine and told me some CRAZY stories…criminal enterprise’s trying to buy company/technology, intimidation, crazy stuff.

The only issue is timing…if they can get to the ship before it leaves the port you can (possibly) get your vehicle back…if not, they usually trace it heading south or across the Atlantic.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:14 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
Have this on my Honda Pilot. The local manager was a client of mine and told me some CRAZY stories…criminal enterprise’s trying to buy company/technology, intimidation, crazy stuff.

The only issue is timing…if they can get to the ship before it leaves the port you can (possibly) get your vehicle back…if not, they usually trace it heading south or across the Atlantic.
Hey Dwane - as a fellow Pilot owner and thieves stealing Honda Pilot's :-)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:40 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
When they know you have an alarm they cut the horn before attempting to steal….saw it all unfold on a buddies ring doorbell when they stole his F150.
Best bet is to get a good mechanic to install a fuel cutoff switch(basic on/off toggle)
same with my buddys truck. they go thru the grill and cut the horn wire then open door with slim jim and lights flashing but no sound alarm until they disconnect and then drive away.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:49 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Theives have been known to drill through the body work and into the battery to kill the electrics. Obviously not a great strategy for stealing a car out of somebody’s driveway though.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting article. What astounded me was that, in Ontario, almost 10% of the Lexus RX 2016 to 2021 models have been stolen.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/t...cars-last-year
Old 01-25-2023, 05:21 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Very interesting article - astonishing that people are still buying Lexus RX really.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:52 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

friend sent me a msg tonight, his friend around Avenue road was out of town and his cameras showed someone trying to steal his infinity suv, he spoke on the doorbell speaker and said he was calling the police, the criminals (animals) got mad smashed his camera and used the truck they were in to smash his infinity into his lexus and smashed into his garage door and house and they took off....animals. I have pictures. caused a lot of damage and arent scared of cops. probably only took 30 seconds. animals.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:00 AM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Not much you can do short of a kill switch for these high value targets, in which case they'll likely come and tow your truck away. Park it in your garage when you're at home. My Lexus GX was stolen off my driveway. On my replacement I upgraded the alarm, use a club and tossed an airtag in there but am really just waiting for the day when I wake up and the truck is gone again. Learned to not keep any valuables in the car too!

There is a story on another forum about someone who's '21 Range Rover was stolen and they were able to track it down several hours later using the airtag. Key fob no longer worked at this point already as thieves reprogrammed it and supposedly the dealer was going to charge $15k+ to as the harness needed to be fixed. Almost more of a headache than just getting a new car through insurance...
Old 01-26-2023, 10:27 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by triggz82
Not much you can do short of a kill switch for these high value targets, in which case they'll likely come and tow your truck away. Park it in your garage when you're at home. My Lexus GX was stolen off my driveway. On my replacement I upgraded the alarm, use a club and tossed an airtag in there but am really just waiting for the day when I wake up and the truck is gone again. Learned to not keep any valuables in the car too!

There is a story on another forum about someone who's '21 Range Rover was stolen and they were able to track it down several hours later using the airtag. Key fob no longer worked at this point already as thieves reprogrammed it and supposedly the dealer was going to charge $15k+ to as the harness needed to be fixed. Almost more of a headache than just getting a new car through insurance...
I know someone who lives in burlington who had their RR stolen off their driveway. Police actually found it and had it towed to the dealer and the vehicle was then stolen from the dealership. Likely the same perps. Crazy what these hooligans will do.

Quick Reply: Truck aftermarket alarm