Notices

New Purchase Dealer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 08:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

for optics. it looks like they are protecting consumers but nothing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Turbodan:
Biscuits704 (02-24-2023), ekam (02-23-2023), KLOC (03-20-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:11 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sell the tesla privately, ask the dealer to do a convenience sales (sell through) so you get the tax benefit.

I bought a Taycan in 2021, new, off the lot. I must say, I had the opposite experience. I had two cars, and asked them what they were worth. Both Teslas Model S. The were a little low on the new model (10k off market on autotrader?), and fair on the older one. I traded in the older one. It was a super easy transaction - droppd the keys off, signed the paperwork, cheque and drove home. The after sales team has been amazing - I've had a few issues with the car, and the team has gone out of the way to make sure they take care of me (driving an hour to pick it up, give me a macan or cayenne as a loaner).

I share this because not all experiences are bad. I am sorry you have had a tough go.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
yes I have customers that have complained to them and no action by OMVIC. A few on this forum also have posted about complaining to OMVIC with no action or results. They support dealers,.
OMVIC is there to protect dealers just like Ontario Home Warranty is to protect builders. I know it's not presented that way but...
Old 02-23-2023, 08:31 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Additional info,

I had a buddy at DRP run the vin. Ownership of (VIN Tesla) was registered out of my mother’s name to Porsche on 01/23

· Ownership of (VIN Tesla) was registered back into mother’s name on 02/10

Last edited by mhmmporsche; 02-23-2023 at 08:36 PM. Reason: accidently included VIN
Old 02-23-2023, 08:33 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rideau
You mentioned that the Tesla plates had been surrendered to MOT.
Who is the current registered owner of the Tesla, your mother or the dealer?
Additional info,

I had a buddy at DRP run the vin.

Ownership
was registered out of my mother’s name to Porsche on 01/23
Ownership was registered back into mother’s name on 02/10

Last edited by mhmmporsche; 02-23-2023 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Remove vin
Old 02-23-2023, 08:34 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
I don't get part of this story at all. It sounds like as of Tuesday January 17th the dealer assumed possession of the trade-in didn't they? They had ample time to do their due diligence and perform whatever inspections before taking the keys and ownership. Once you sign over the ownership, that's it, the cars is not yours. Not only that but for them to come back 2-3 weeks later to report damage to the vehicle that was under their care would get a "too bad so sad" from me.

How would anyone know or be able to prove that the damage wasn't incurred while in their care for all that time? It's not like the damage was discovered only after a couple of hours. This was weeks!
Lol belive me I don't get it either. If they came to me within 1 week of the car being dropped off I would have 100% worked with them. This is absurd.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:35 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

I think the OP would have been in a much stronger position if they didn't take the Tesla back. Now the dealer can argue either A) There is no trade-in that's been provided and that it's the other party that didn't honour their part of the agreement or B) If the OP tries to present the car for trade-in now, the dealer can just point to the known damage and claim that the trade-in value in the contract didn't account for the damage.

By taking the Tesla back you've essentially let them off the hook and now they've hit the undo button. Either way, what a mess. Hope it all works out for you OP somehow.
I didnt actually take the car back. Once they told me they returned the plates to MTO I refused right away. They couldn't even give me the car back since there were no plates....
Old 02-23-2023, 08:52 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Vise
Sounds like a total **** show. Sorry to hear. If however, you have a signed contract with them at your agreed upon trade-in number, sounds like something you should discuss with your lawyer to get them to agree to their contract?

Also, I don't get why you would go to these lengths to share your story in detail and not mention the dealer's name? Based on the 'minimum build of $XXX dollars' pretty sure we know who it is, but why not help others learn from your mistake?
I am looking for a peaceful resolution from the dealership. Working with them as best as I can until I can't. IF this goes beyond the dealership and they do not honour our original deal I will 100% be providing dealer info.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:59 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mhmmporsche
I didnt actually take the car back. Once they told me they returned the plates to MTO I refused right away. They couldn't even give me the car back since there were no plates....
Wow that's even crazier.They actually took possession/ownership of the Tesla and they want to renegotiate the terms of the deal after the fact. Meanwhile you have no old car, no new car and a purchase agreement that they don't want to honour. Quite the mess.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:51 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mhmmporsche
I am looking for a peaceful resolution from the dealership. Working with them as best as I can until I can't. IF this goes beyond the dealership and they do not honour our original deal I will 100% be providing dealer info.
Based on what you shared, no peaceful resolution is coming. Get your lawyer involved and make them honour the contract. They have your car FFS!
Old 02-24-2023, 11:13 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow that's even crazier.They actually took possession/ownership of the Tesla and they want to renegotiate the terms of the deal after the fact. Meanwhile you have no old car, no new car and a purchase agreement that they don't want to honour. Quite the mess.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:46 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 944 Likes on 570 Posts

Crazy story for sure. If roles were reversed they'd say sorry for your luck. But with them, they try make all these greasy moves...
Old 02-24-2023, 01:48 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 475 Posts

Post the detail from your first post in a google review for the stealership. If that fails then get a lawyer.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:04 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Post the detail from your first post in a google review for the stealership. If that fails then get a lawyer.
I wouldn't make it so long winded. The most important thing is they had the car for 3 weeks and then forced you to take it back. I think anyone could relate to that
Old 02-24-2023, 02:08 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 944 Likes on 570 Posts

Everyone always says, "Get a Lawyer". Sure, till its time to hire one. $5k retainer, no promise of results, likely another $15k invoice at the end.

There is no money in this issue to hire a Lawyer, unless you have a friend or family member as a lawyer and can send a demand letter. That might scare them enough or they might call your bluff and do nothing.

You'll spend $20k in small claims court. You'd have to sue them yourself over this. Its likely not worth the time and effort.

Don't roast them on Google yet, wait till the end.

OMVIC, call them and make a complaint this might be a good resource for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
ekam (02-24-2023), reacp911 (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: New Purchase Dealer Issue