Notices

New Purchase Dealer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 03:46 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Purchase Dealer Issue

Okay everyone. This one is going to be long and keep in mind this is still unresolved so I will not be disclosing any names/dealers here. I am simply looking to vent and receive advise.Below is a timeline and the respective events that took place during my ordering process of the 2023 Macan GTS and more specifically, interactions with (Dealer). I’d like (Dealer) to honor the original trade in agreement that was signed and dated 01/13/23 and continue to proceed with my Macan purchase. Please note, before engaging with (Dealer), I had already been in contact with (Another GTA Dealer) for acquiring an allocation for a 2023 Macan GTS with a configuration lock out date of 01/27th with a minimum of $16,000 in option configurations.

Wednesday January 11th

·Considering (Dealer) had a 2023 Macan GTS onsite and was also local to me, I wanted to view in-person the vehicle before proceeding with (Another GTA Dealer) for purchase.

· While reviewing the Macan GTS on the dealership floor, a salesman, (Salesman Name), approached me and offered his assistance. Through this conversation with (Salesman Name), I advised (Salesman Name) of my intent for visiting (Dealer) and my ongoing conversations with (Another GTA Dealer). He advised the following:

§Their dealership has a large count of allocations from Porsche.

§There would be no minimum option configuration $ threshold for securing an allocation.

· We discussed configuration specs, trade-in of my current vehicle and potential for additional purchases with additional trade-ins.

·Due to limited time, we scheduled additional on-site time for Friday

Friday January 13th

· I advised (Salesman name) I would be coming in to finalize the Macan GTS build, along with my father who was interested in purchasing a 2021 Cayenne, my sister-in-law who was interested in purchasing a 2023 Cayenne E-Hybrid, and my brother who was interested in purchasing a 992 911.

·We all came in and advised on the trade in’s that we each respectively owned, myself with the Tesla Model 3 SR+, my father with the 2023 GMC Denali Acadia, sister in-law with the 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range, and my brother with the 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid.

· We built a 2023 Macan GTS for myself which I was happy with and started to discuss my Trade in.

· I had advised (Salesman) my Model 3 was currently at the shop having all the aftermarket parts removed. I am a car enthusiast and was excited to show a fellow car enthusiast my previous build, I had shown (Salesman) numerous pictures of my vehicle with all the modifications at this time.

·(Salesman) got on the phone with (unknown) and proceeded to go back and forth with trade in value for my Model 3. We ended up on a price for the vehicle that everyone agreed to which was $53,000 + Tax.

· After agreement of the trade in price and Macan GTS build spec, I signed a bill of sale (attached) and placed a $3000 deposit.

·It was agreed my current vehicle, Tesla Model 3, would be dropped to (Dealer) on Tuesday evening.

·Once my bill of sale was signed, we moved forward in discussing features and options for the vehicles that my other contacts were interested in.

§The trade in appraisal for the Model Y Long Range and Tesla Plaid was too low, so (Salesman) advised us to look at other options to sell the vehicle privately and we would come back to Porsche to finalize the purchase after the private sale.

§To date, no trade in value was provided for the GMC Acadia or the Model S Plaid which were both inspected by (Salesman).

Monday January 16th

· (Salesman) called me and said I will have to change the spec as he investigated further and would need a minimum build of MSRP $104,000, the build we did was $102,070. (Salesman) added additional items and sent a revised Bill of Sale for $106,430.

Tuesday January 17th

· Tesla was dropped off to (Dealership) at 5PM as previously agreed.

· Keys, ownership, and plates handed to (Salesman).

· Pictures/video also taken at the time of drop off (available at request)

· Signed completed Advanced Trade Form was signed and returned to (Salesman)

Wednesday January 18th

· (Salesman) advised via text, “So they told me that the 21-inch RS SPYDER Design Wheels are not available, which ones should we replace them with.”

· I expressed my concern of the constant changes and the lack of transparency.

· (Salesman) mentioned he is new and still learning, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and changed my build again at the request of (Salesman).

· (Salesman) guaranteed delivery date of June/July

January 19th - February 3rd

· Numerous conversations back and forth regarding specs and configuration changes

· (Salesman) presented other options to get me in a vehicle now by presenting available vehicles through (Dealership).

Saturday February 4th

· (Salesman) called and advised there is an issue with the trade in as they have found blemishes on the trunk and underbody damage.

· (Salesman) advised I had 3 options as listed below

1. Porsche takes the car to (Bodyshop) and receive a quote to fix damages, this quote would be deducted from the $53,000 original offer for the trade in

2. Take the car back and fix the damages and come get it re appraised

3. Take the car back and deposit is refunded

· I had requested that we start by obtaining the repair quote from (Bodyshop) and move forward from there. (Salesman) agreed.

Friday February 10th

· (Salesman) advised the repair quote is $8,000-$10,000

·I did not feel comfortable with this and asked what my options are

· (Salesman) proceeded to advise even if they perform the job for $8,000-$10,000 Porsche would still not take the trade in (going against option 1, and option 2)

· This left me with only option 3 based on (Salesman) feedback to which I advised to have the car returned to me and a refund of my initial deposit from the new vehicle purchase order.

· It was agreed with (Salesman) that I would come in Friday evening to pick up my vehicle.

·Once I came in on Friday evening (Salesman) advised the used car sales manager is gone for the day so my ownership is in lockup and I cannot pick it up. He also advised since the Tesla is under my mom’s name, I will need to bring her to pick up the car. We agreed I would come Saturday morning

· (Salesman) provided screenshot of $3,000 refund

· I called my insurance company and put insurance back on my car

Saturday February 11th

· On route to the (Dealership) to pick up the Tesla, we got a call from (Salesman) advising:

§ My plates had been returned to the Ministry, and I will not be able to pick up the car

§ He advised another option that they will tow/drop the car to any location I choose

§ I refused this offer and advised I will be coming in to talk to the Manager

· Came into the dealership, the Sales Manager brought me to the office to explain the situation.

·The Sales Manager was very apologetic of the situation and seemed to understand the customer perspective well. The Sales Manager advised he will be handling this situation moving forward and to leave it with him.

Tuesday February 14th

·Used car sales manager called me advising they are offering a $5,000 discount on my new car purchase with an appraisal value of $32,000 for the Tesla (note this is a -$21,000 from the original deal)

·I advised I will not be accepting this offer and will continue my conversation with (new car sales manager)

It has now been over a week and they keep coming back to me to discuss with the used car sales manager. I keep telling them I have no busniess with the used car sales manager as I am buying a new car and contracts have been signed.

Some additional information
The Tesla was heavily moddified (Air Suspension, GT Wing, Carbon lips/skirts/diffuser, etc)
It was clearly mentioned to the sales rep that the car was heavily moddified and the moddifications are being removed and would be brought to the dealership.
The trade in price was given after seeing pictures of the car and getting vin, km, etc. (They did not see the car)
When the car was dropped off there were no concerns raised until 3 weeks later
The day after the trade in was completed Tesla also anounced a 20% reduction in all new Teslas. This ofcouse impacted the used market as well. (Dealership has never said this is the reason for them not sticking to the deal but I have a strong feeling it is)

Would love to hear everyones feedback. Sorry for the long thread!

Old 02-23-2023, 04:13 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Perhaps you should have a discussion with OMVIC 1 800 943 6002, 65 Overlea Blvd
The following 2 users liked this post by reacp911:
#1SomeGuy (02-23-2023), MKC91 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:04 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

It's definitely the Tesla price reduction on new cars. There's no way they can honour what was being discussed.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainSlowly (02-26-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Sounds like a total **** show. Sorry to hear. If however, you have a signed contract with them at your agreed upon trade-in number, sounds like something you should discuss with your lawyer to get them to agree to their contract?

Also, I don't get why you would go to these lengths to share your story in detail and not mention the dealer's name? Based on the 'minimum build of $XXX dollars' pretty sure we know who it is, but why not help others learn from your mistake?

Last edited by Vise; 02-23-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:53 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

You've just reinforced my hatred for dealing with new car dealers, their idiotic games and schemes and general lack of customer service. Sounds like you were dealing with a newbie, a scoundrel and a market price adj on Teslas that have reset market realities on both used and new alike. Ugh I'll stick to private Porsche purchases as long as I continue to be a brand fan.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:22 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

You mentioned that the Tesla plates had been surrendered to MOT.
Who is the current registered owner of the Tesla, your mother or the dealer?
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:30 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

If you have signed documents including trade values and have even more so exchanged money (deposit AND your vehicle), they are on the hook to honour that deal. Sadly a lawyer is likely going to be necessary and you'll burn a bridge doing it, but not something I'd let slide. The deal cannot be changed just because the dealer decides they don't like the terms anymore.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
Perhaps you should have a discussion with OMVIC 1 800 943 6002, 65 Overlea Blvd
haha they will do nothing! great idea though
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbodan:
ekam (02-23-2023), LastMezger (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:52 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't get part of this story at all. It sounds like as of Tuesday January 17th the dealer assumed possession of the trade-in didn't they? They had ample time to do their due diligence and perform whatever inspections before taking the keys and ownership. Once you sign over the ownership, that's it, the cars is not yours. Not only that but for them to come back 2-3 weeks later to report damage to the vehicle that was under their care would get a "too bad so sad" from me.

How would anyone know or be able to prove that the damage wasn't incurred while in their care for all that time? It's not like the damage was discovered only after a couple of hours. This was weeks!

Last edited by 35Mugen; 02-23-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:54 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

ya Lawyer up is the only answer here. also funny how you all are going electric back to ice.
yes the paint on Teslas absolutely sucks. European autobody always has over 20 being painted due to poor quality form factory. They have told me Telsa will send them as many cars as they can handle.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:03 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

First step is a letter from your lawyer demanding:
1) the deal be honoured, or
2) they immediately provide full cash value of the trade at agreed amounts (ie plus tax).

There are no other items to discuss. They’ve taken your Tesla and are refusing to pay you for it and are refusing to provide you the car they agreed to sell you.

Don’t let them distract you from what is actually happening.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:20 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the OP would have been in a much stronger position if they didn't take the Tesla back. Now the dealer can argue either A) There is no trade-in that's been provided and that it's the other party that didn't honour their part of the agreement or B) If the OP tries to present the car for trade-in now, the dealer can just point to the known damage and claim that the trade-in value in the contract didn't account for the damage.

By taking the Tesla back you've essentially let them off the hook and now they've hit the undo button. Either way, what a mess. Hope it all works out for you OP somehow.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:20 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbodan
haha they will do nothing! great idea though
Re OMVIC

have you or anyone you know had experience with them?
Old 02-23-2023, 07:56 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reacp911
Re OMVIC

have you or anyone you know had experience with them?
yes I have customers that have complained to them and no action by OMVIC. A few on this forum also have posted about complaining to OMVIC with no action or results. They support dealers,.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:05 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbodan
yes I have customers that have complained to them and no action by OMVIC. A few on this forum also have posted about complaining to OMVIC with no action or results. They support dealers,.
then what's the point of having them?

Quick Reply: New Purchase Dealer Issue