Notices

OT: Office Dress Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 09:22 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 461 Posts
Default OT: Office Dress Codes

Just looking for a little info on what current dress codes are? I run a privately owned manufacturing company and the Son of the owner has taken over control of the various manufacturing businesses that they own. He would like to start bringing us into more current times as many of our polices were set by his now 65 year old Father. So, what are you all wearing to the office these days?
Old 03-03-2023, 10:00 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow.....There's a thread for you. I'm in senior management. Have been for over 20 years. I spent time in policing and as a senior leader, although civilian, I wore a suit, tie, everyday. No exceptions. Fast forward to today - and for the last decade. Business casual. Pants - anywhere from wool to kahki's. Dress shirt. With that being said, I always keep a jacket, shirt, tie in the office if I have to attend an important meeting - or more likely, I forget lol.

I have also found that with my external colleagues, it is quite similar. Sales roles tend to be more formal.

Although I'm in senior management, I lead technical teams and we are isolated from the rest of the organization due to regulations. Different set of rules.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:05 AM
CanadianRoger
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

CFO/Owner of a business with ~200 employees. We don't have a lot of customers/suppliers or other 3rd parties in the office. Monday-Thursday business casual, will stretch that this can be a nice pair of jeans. Friday casual, hoodies or t-shirts and sneakers are good.

Meetings, travel or visitors I will step it up to a jacket with dress pants.

It's funny, I think someone wearing nice casual shoes, jeans and sweater can look better put together than someone in cheap tip-top or moores suits.

My 2 cents, I am younger FWIW @ 35.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRoger:
6IXSPD (03-11-2023), Bud Fox (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 10:33 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Life has become super casual. Our office staff is basically dress pants or jeans even and company golf shirts.

** Also FWIW I am also 35 lol

Last edited by 997turbocab; 03-03-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:54 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 461 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I'm 60, so I have had similar dress experiences as steam_mill. Suits, to dress pants/shirts, to casual pants/shirts, to...?

We work with large retailers providing them with store fixtures. Most visit in jeans now.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:09 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dress like an adult. If people start showing up in tank tops, then I think you might have a staff problem, not a rules problem

also, fwiw, in software, mostly jeans + tshirts/golf shirts/dress shirts depending on the occasion
Old 03-03-2023, 12:51 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm at a company with about 25,000 something employee nationwide.

Because of the aging demographic and new graduates coming in to the work force, given the different flavours of the organization, it's a mixed bag but only at the executive leadership level are formal. Kids in technology/IT will wear whatever they want and some will leave if you tell them to suit up so so it's a lot more relaxed. Finance teams will be more casual. Customer facing units will be formal. But for the most part, jeans are acceptable

We had a girl show up to work with a see-thru white top, flip flops, and bikini underneath because after work, she was going to the beach. She felt it was okay to do that because conveniently, it was Friday. We sent her home.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:20 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I am in sales at a Fortune 500 - in office is jeans/jacket from CEO down. Customer facing days are still mostly suits (rarely tie) and sometimes less causal depending on who at the customer, location (i.e. Friday lunch vs office) etc. Our unofficial policy is customer attire +1
Old 03-03-2023, 02:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I'm at a company with about 25,000 something employee nationwide.

Because of the aging demographic and new graduates coming in to the work force, given the different flavours of the organization, it's a mixed bag but only at the executive leadership level are formal. Kids in technology/IT will wear whatever they want and some will leave if you tell them to suit up so so it's a lot more relaxed. Finance teams will be more casual. Customer facing units will be formal. But for the most part, jeans are acceptable

We had a girl show up to work with a see-thru white top, flip flops, and bikini underneath because after work, she was going to the beach. She felt it was okay to do that because conveniently, it was Friday. We sent her home.
pics or it never happened
Old 03-03-2023, 03:17 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Been in a lot of senior positions and more recently on boards of directors. Business casual is general with much more informal in tech companies. I would avoid T-Shirts, jeans, any kind of sandals etc.
In general a shirt, chinos and reasonable shoes works well. For a public occasion a proper jacket is perfect. No ties or formal suits required ever these days.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:19 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
pics or it never happened
My staff asked me the same so they wanted to cancel me when I didn't have pix.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:58 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Client Facing: Business Formal -No jacket and tie fridays.
Non client facing: Business casual with jeans on fridays.

You mentioned manufacturing, so if warehouse staff, let them dress in comfort.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:04 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

I think a manufacturing company office will be different than downtown. I'm downtown and the only people that wear shirts and ties are the bankers and companies that have a very formal culture, like Brookfield and KingSett. And the bankers have their stupid little TD or BNS pins on their lapels. Formal attire today is really just a suit with no tie or a sports jacket. I wear a dress shirt to work every day since I have at least one Teams/Zoom meeting a day with clients, but they only see me from the waist up so I typically also wear jeans...
Old 03-03-2023, 07:08 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Software here...jeans/polo is sufficient any day of the week unless customers are in, some people do khakis or nicer pants/button up shirt, a few (mostly in outside sales) will add a jacket. I have gone to leadership meetings wearing jeans, t-shirt, and a fairly casual sweater (not hoodie) on top...not a big deal at all and was not under dressed compared to my direct bosses (vp/c level). Mind you, my roll is running our R&D department.

As long as you don't look like a total slob though, the idea that you have to wear a suit to work every day should just die. I'd rather employees spend their money on more important things and be more comfortable.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:09 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I think a manufacturing company office will be different than downtown. I'm downtown and the only people that wear shirts and ties are the bankers and companies that have a very formal culture, like Brookfield and KingSett. And the bankers have their stupid little TD or BNS pins on their lapels. Formal attire today is really just a suit with no tie or a sports jacket. I wear a dress shirt to work every day since I have at least one Teams/Zoom meeting a day with clients, but they only see me from the waist up so I typically also wear jeans...
The pins are a subtle message to say I am not important.

Deloitte started that trend then trickled to banks.

Had them banned from my office.

Our senior management sh*t on vests then started wearing themselves
The following users liked this post:
moab (03-03-2023)

Quick Reply: OT: Office Dress Codes