Seicane Head Unit Central Console

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 05:24 PM
marmar1305
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seicane Head Unit Central Console

Hi,
I Purchased a 2008 Cayenne S with a Seicane unit with back up camera.
I have two issues:
1) Suddenly couple of weeks ago the back up camera stopped working. Now the camera starts working again but shows the back up view on the display in mirror view meaning left = right and right = left.
I assume something is wrong with the backup camera, connection or other.
2) while driving suddenly the unit mutes, no sound for 1-2 seconds and then the sound comes back. The display stays on however.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 03-17-2023, 10:08 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like it's an Android based head unit..... maybe look for a Seicane forum?
Old 03-19-2023, 10:40 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On those backup cameras, there is sometimes a 2" wire loop right at the camera that you cut if you don't want it mirrored. Given that it has been intermittent and is now showing the opposite left-right display to what it did previously, I wonder about the state of the wires on the back of the camera. If it's the license plate light type, it's easy to check - back the two little Philips screws out and gently pull the camera down and look at how it's connected and the condition of the wires and connectors.
The following users liked this post:
petee_c (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 08:44 PM
marmar1305
AutoX

Hi pontifex4,
Yes it's the license plate light type camera. After I removed the two Philips screws I will gently pull down the camera to look at how it's connected and the condition of the wires and connectors. You mentioned a 2" wire loop at the camera that you cut if you don't want it mirrored. I assume that 2" loop wire must be properly connected on both sides to the camera? What is your email please? I will take some pics and send them to you to discuss further if you don't mind.
I thought initially that I could go into the settings of the unit, go to camera and select left-right display but I don't see that in the settings.
Thanks,
marmar1305
Old 03-22-2023, 08:47 PM
marmar1305
AutoX

Hi pontifex4,
I still do have that second problem ... while driving suddenly the unit mutes, no sound for 1-2 seconds and then the sound comes back. The display stays on however.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should say that I'm not sure there will be a loop of wire on the back of the camera (there are several variations of this particular camera) but the fact that the display is flipped now and wasn't before suggests an electrical contact or continuity problem near where that loop is, if it exists.

On the muting issue, does the stereo also mute as part of its normal function when you select reverse? If so, I suspect you do have an electrical contact issue somewhere between the Seicane unit and the camera at the rear, which is the simplest to trace and address.

The other potential issue leading to sound problems is with the MOST audio interface that comes with units like these. I'm assuming you do have the BOSE system still in the car and the factory amplifier, so behind the Seicane unit in the dash, there will be a rectangular black box with the MOST orange fibre coming out of it. It will look something like this:

These sometimes work intermittently. Mine would occasionally (i.e. once every couple of months) fail to send signal to the amplifier when I started the car when it was cold. The amplifier was on, because I could hear the slight hum that my MOST interface introduced to the system, but it wouldn't play any sound. It would never persist longer than one restart, though.

Anyway, I would start with the basics - look at all the wire connections between the back of the head unit and the camera first, including the power supply and ground on the camera itself. Check for corrosion at that ground, in particular. For what it's worth, a new camera is quite inexpensive - you could also try a replacement to see if it behaves differently.

Quick Reply: Seicane Head Unit Central Console