Speeding ticket by camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 08:46 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Speeding ticket by camera

So I was just send in the mail a speeding ticket from Kitchener, apparently they have stationary speed camera's? I thought that these things were not legal? Anyway, it was a Monday morning on family weekend, on a 4 lane road that was empty and I traveled for the first time in my life on my way to see a car i was interested in buying. I registered a speed of 70 but the kicker is that it was a school zone? it is pretty clear that I was not "speeding" on a 4 lane road which was empty so this one is a real shocker.
So what do you guys think? Can I contest this? I just dont want points on my license for no reason! Is the fact that the school was closed for the holiday matter? Any lawyer recommendations? TIA!
Old 03-24-2023, 09:19 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

i don't think it affects your points.... They can't tell who was driving..... It was your wife. My understanding is they send the ticket to the owner of the vehicle,

Waterloo Region just put in speed cameras between Heidelberg and Elmira for a little 1 room school house on a country road... The speed limit there is 60..... been hard to try to get down to that speed, but luckily haven't gotten any treats in the mail. It's been 6+ months since that camera's been installed, and finally I remember to slow down 99% of the time. It probably wouldn't have taken as long if I drove that route everyday.

Where was the speed camera?

My question is to RL's - How much leeway do they have in the system for issuing tickets... if the camera is in a 60 zone, at what speed do they start issuing a ticket at 61kph? 62kph? 65 kph?

I saw stuff in the news that they want all residential streets in Wloo to be 40kph!

Last edited by petee_c; 03-24-2023 at 09:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 09:20 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

This will not count on your driving record because the camera can’t confirm who was driving the car.

As far as contesting it, I don’t know, but the device caught your vehicle speeding at that location. If the picture of your plate is clear then it’s a fact

If you contest it and show up in court admitting you were driving, then it might become worse, and your driving record may in fact, get hit.
MKC91 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 11:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

pay it and move on ... you were speeding , will not affect your license as noted ' I sure would not go and argue " it is pretty clear i wasn't speeding" when the facts show you were.
The following 2 users liked this post by theiceman:
Adamant1971 (03-24-2023), FoggyNeutron (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 11:32 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Funny case here in BC

guy challenged the ticket that clearly showed a car with the same specs of a car he owned speeding and it had the same sequence of alphanumeric digits as his cars license plate.
he got off because they were not able to clearly see if was a BC plate. I think the Beautiful British Columbia was not legible.

Id just pay it and move on as said above

Last edited by BioBanker; 03-24-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:39 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

No points for camera ticket, likely isnt worth it to fight based on $.

I now always drive with waze on. Its pretty much got every speed camera and red light camera pegged as to where they are. Set the alert to tell you before approach.

I dont generally speed as i dont want the hassle but a heads up from an early warning system is always appreciated. 🤓

Last edited by Pags993; 03-24-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:25 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I got a ticket last month near my mums house. Yes school zone, charge 41kph in a 30. OCD clean car, idiot. Guess i'm guilty.
Told my best friend about it. He thought it was the funniest thing. Didn't offer me any compassion. Then he got one.
Step sister, didn't offer me any compassion either. Then she got a two pack, and then a third.
Now WAZE is on all the time in the car.
Correct. This is a fine assigned to the car. No point, no driver accused. Just a fine. No points, nothing against your license.
But they can send you to collections. That will F-you up.
MKC91 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:27 PM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
No points for camera ticket, likely isnt worth it to fight based on $.

I now always drive with waze on. Its pretty much got every speed camera and red light camera pegged as to where they are. Set the alert to tell you before approach.

I dont generally speed as i dont want the hassle but a heads up from an early warning system is always appreciated. 🤓
I also have waze on every time I drive now. Speed cameras are everywhere in the GTA. No ding on your record but annoying...
MKC91 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:31 PM
F1FANATC
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Same as a red light camera. No points to the driver. Might be best to pay it and move on, as they can hold it against you just like parking tickets when you renew the plate...
I will add that Kitchener/Waterloo has added these cameras in only school zones. There is plenty of signage giving the driver a warning about the upcoming cameras. The cameras are a welcome thing. It has people actually slowing down through the school zone.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:55 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a ticket in Waterloo. I was going 60... forgot that we're down to 40s in parts of town. Driving 40 feels like walking. And of course, it was a "community safety zone".
#1SomeGuy (03-25-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 01:03 PM
F1FANATC
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is going to get a ticket. Just a matter of when...

Last edited by F1FANATC; 03-24-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:13 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...e-and-won.html
Old 03-25-2023, 11:53 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

What street was it on? There are a bunch of fixed speed cameras here in "community safety zones" and they're planning on adding something like 32 more. They've also changed limits on MAJOR 4 lane roads from 60kph down to 40kph, which is absolutely absurd. I've been fighting council about this for months now, but they keep saying the "majority" of residents support it. I call BS though.

Originally Posted by F1FANATC
Same as a red light camera. No points to the driver. Might be best to pay it and move on, as they can hold it against you just like parking tickets when you renew the plate...
I will add that Kitchener/Waterloo has added these cameras in only school zones. There is plenty of signage giving the driver a warning about the upcoming cameras. The cameras are a welcome thing. It has people actually slowing down through the school zone.
Uh NO they are not welcome. They're putting them on roads like Westmount, Fischer Halman, Huron, Weber, and other really major roads at stupidly low limits. It's one thing if the limit is left at the normal 60kph, but they're dropping the limits to 40kph AND putting cameras in AND triggering them at 10kph over. It's f*cking stupid.

Last edited by #1SomeGuy; 03-25-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:51 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
What street was it on? There are a bunch of fixed speed cameras here in "community safety zones" and they're planning on adding something like 32 more. They've also changed limits on MAJOR 4 lane roads from 60kph down to 40kph, which is absolutely absurd. I've been fighting council about this for months now, but they keep saying the "majority" of residents support it. I call BS though.

Uh NO they are not welcome. They're putting them on roads like Westmount, Fischer Halman, Huron, Weber, and other really major roads at stupidly low limits. It's one thing if the limit is left at the normal 60kph, but they're dropping the limits to 40kph AND putting cameras in AND triggering them at 10kph over. It's f*cking stupid.
Yup, revenue maximization in the name of safety. They’ve lowered the speed limits to 30 km/h in many areas too (like where my house is) and are putting cameras in those too.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:58 PM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
This will not count on your driving record because the camera can’t confirm who was driving the car.

As far as contesting it, I don’t know, but the device caught your vehicle speeding at that location. If the picture of your plate is clear then it’s a fact

If you contest it and show up in court admitting you were driving, then it might become worse, and your driving record may in fact, get hit.

there is news about ppl who defeats the ticket in court in Toronto. The argument was that the police who approved the ticket cannot verify if the camera is functioning correctly. Look it up if you want

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/02/01/photo-radar-said-the-car-was-going-more-than-70-kmh-over-the-limit-how-the-owner-fought-the-charge-and-won.html

Last edited by Stephen Shi; 03-25-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket by camera