Notices

Is this ceramic coating job acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 08:20 PM
msykr
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is this ceramic coating job acceptable?

Recently picked up a new-to-me '99 996 in ocean blue metallic, and took it to a highly-recommended detailing shop in Toronto to get a two-step paint correction and ceramic coating.
There were initially some high spots on the car, and the shop took it back right away to repolish and reapply the ceramic coating on those panels.
Just got the car back again today, and everything looks great except this one spot. Pictures attached.

It seems like it could be in the shape of a polisher, so my best guess is that when the rear area was polished/retouched, this is where it stopped (instead of going over the whole area).

Is this as good as I can get, or should I ask the shop to have another go?
I hate to be a difficult customer, but also wanting to get my money's worth ($950 for the paint correction and another $950 for the ceramic coating).

Thought I'd get the group's opinion.
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2023, 08:30 PM
00Coupe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not accept that.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 08:44 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 336 Posts

tried a paint meter? ...
Bodibedo (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 09:18 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 475 Posts

Ya that's not accceptable
vetfever (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 09:05 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Can you find out what polis/pad combo was used and take some photos with a light or flash indoors

it may be a giant high spot, or thinned out paint

what were paint measurements prior to polishing?
Old 07-28-2023, 09:30 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

What has the shop said?
Old 07-28-2023, 10:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

gees that looks terrible...

Pags993 (07-29-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 11:18 AM
msykr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Can you find out what polis/pad combo was used and take some photos with a light or flash indoors

it may be a giant high spot, or thinned out paint

what were paint measurements prior to polishing?
Took some pictures with flash in the parking lot, can’t seem to see any differences.

And no clue what the measurements were prior to the job or after, as I don’t have a paintmeter.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:19 AM
msykr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
What has the shop said?
Emailed them yesterday night, waiting for a reply hopefully sometime today.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:28 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

Which shop?! That’s what everyone wants to know.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:41 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

lemans?
Old 07-28-2023, 11:44 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 463 Posts

I took one of my old 993's which happened to be Ocean Blue metallic to a highly regarded shop (I won't name the shop as we came to an agreement to compensate for the damage). When I went to pick up the car, I immediately noticed a 3 inch oval spot that looked like a different colour. They had burned through the clear and the difference in thickness affected how the metallic base looked - the spot was right on the driver's door. The only fix was to repaint the door and blend into the fender and quarter panel. I hope that isn't what you are looking at, but regardless, the job you received is totally unacceptable.
Old 07-28-2023, 12:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

looks to me like they left the ceramic on too long before polishing in that area. I would guess they can fix that in half an hour.
is that polish residue left on the weatherstripping of the window?
let's see a photo of the whole car....congrats btw.
wondering how long the ceramic warranty is?
enjoy the new car!
Old 07-28-2023, 02:18 PM
msykr
Intermediate

The shop just got back to me. They’ll take the car back to have another go, but they’re thinking it’s more of an issue with the paint underneath (tells me the car’s been repainted at several spots when they examined it) rather than the ceramic coating they applied.

This was the response:

​​​​​​​We looked this over as a team, and it seems extremely unusual. We know the quality of the repaint on this car is “fair” in areas, and “poor” in others. It has a significant amount of variability in the color and also consistency of finish. The material of the repaint also behaves strangely with respect to its interaction with the ceramic coating.

We did not stop with the polisher at that area you’ve shown, as we repolished the panel all the way from the taillights to the door, and down to the textured rocker paint. There was no stopping point mid-way across the panel. Also, to avoid having any ceramic coating lines/high-spots we adjusted our approach to reapply the coating uniformly across the whole panel instead of breaking it into smaller sections. So it can’t be an “overlap” area with the coating. And visually, this doesn’t appear to be related to ceramic coating high-spots.

If you like we can take another run at that panel (ie repolish, and re-apply ceramic coating), but I cannot guarantee that it will resolve the issue. If it’s a defect within the paint or clearcoat (like on the hood), it might not be able to be corrected.

Originally Posted by moab
Which shop?! That’s what everyone wants to know.
The Refinery, which has been highly recommended here several times. Gerald has been nothing but helpful responding to my concerns so far, so hoping this could be resolved.

Originally Posted by Onami
I took one of my old 993's which happened to be Ocean Blue metallic to a highly regarded shop (I won't name the shop as we came to an agreement to compensate for the damage). When I went to pick up the car, I immediately noticed a 3 inch oval spot that looked like a different colour. They had burned through the clear and the difference in thickness affected how the metallic base looked - the spot was right on the driver's door. The only fix was to repaint the door and blend into the fender and quarter panel. I hope that isn't what you are looking at, but regardless, the job you received is totally unacceptable.
Really hope that’s not what happened here.
​​​​​​​
How would I be able to tell whether it’s an issue with a supposed repaint vs. burning through the clear coat?

Originally Posted by Turbodan
looks to me like they left the ceramic on too long before polishing in that area. I would guess they can fix that in half an hour.
is that polish residue left on the weatherstripping of the window?
let's see a photo of the whole car....congrats btw.
wondering how long the ceramic warranty is?
enjoy the new car!
I’ll get some pics as soon as I can!
Old 07-28-2023, 02:27 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 463 Posts

I could tell on my car because I measured it with a paint meter and that spot was low. I forget the readings. Took it to a high end paint shop in Vaughan for an estimate and they confirmed that it was burn through. My spot was much smaller than yours. Hopefully, they can remedy it with another go...

Last edited by Onami; 07-28-2023 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this ceramic coating job acceptable?