Notices

Macan EV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 01:12 PM
mhenry84
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
maybe in 3-4yrs we'd buy a used Macan EV..... if it's anything like the Audi Etron it should take a pretty big hit in depreciation
Came to post same. Not sure even Porsche can avoid these 1-2 year EV hits. I had this shortlisted to replace our current SUV.
I shouldn't be too surprised at the MSRP given the SQ8 Etron is around 130K, so the Macan was going to top that easily after a few options.
But seeing 1-2 year old e-trons going for south of 70K with limited mileage already may be an indicator of same. Even the GT (sedan) had 25K discounts to end the year. Couldn't imagine the person that just bought one at 150-160k.
If you're holding them for awhile anyway, then likely moot. But quite the premium to go green. Can't be about savings either since there are options at half the cost. Model Y as some have mentioned (I would prefer the e-tron/macan, but I understand the comparison)

Last edited by mhenry84; 01-29-2024 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Adamant1971 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:24 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 775 Posts

I'll continue running my two Mini Cooper SEs as commuting cars (my wife does about 30km a day and I do about 50km) until the dust settles. We have a unique situation where we pay nothing to charge at home or at our respective workplaces, so running costs are nil. Since getting the first Mini in August and the second one in October, we've saved about $1600 $1800 total in fuel costs compared to the ICE vehicles we were previously using to do the same commute. We'll see what Porsche does with the EV Cayman/Boxster, but for the time being, our 992 will continue to be the "road trip" car.

Last edited by gcurnew; 01-29-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:44 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I'll continue running my two Mini Cooper SEs as commuting cars (my wife does about 30km a day and I do about 50km) until the dust settles. We have a unique situation where we pay nothing to charge at home or at our respective workplaces, so running costs are nil. Since getting the first Mini in August and the second one in October, we've saved about $1600 total in fuel costs compared to the ICE vehicles we were previously using to do the same commute. We'll see what Porsche does with the EV Cayman/Boxster, but for the time being, our 992 will continue to be the "road trip" car.
Our SE is the EV we drive the most and perhaps one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. People don’t even know it’s an EV

Last edited by Gregster; 01-29-2024 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 11:54 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been contemplating replacing my 996 Targa with a Taycan for a few years now. Mostly because I don't have the time to enjoy maintaining the car. But the price of the Taycan is just crazy. I was hoping the Macan would be a little more reasonable and closer to the BMI i4 M50 pricing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Looking at the used market though, the prices of used Taycan have plummeted in the past few months enough that I'm considering a used one. At some point the drop in used prices has to put pressure on the original MSRP. At least that is the hope.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:51 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I'll continue running my two Mini Cooper SEs as commuting cars (my wife does about 30km a day and I do about 50km) until the dust settles. We have a unique situation where we pay nothing to charge at home or at our respective workplaces, so running costs are nil. Since getting the first Mini in August and the second one in October, we've saved about $1600 $1800 total in fuel costs compared to the ICE vehicles we were previously using to do the same commute. We'll see what Porsche does with the EV Cayman/Boxster, but for the time being, our 992 will continue to be the "road trip" car.
Great news on the Cooper SE's.....
- did you custom order or "off the lot"
- are you concerned about range in Calgary winter?, understand your commute is short...
- any option "must have's"...
Cheers!
Old 01-30-2024, 10:38 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Great news on the Cooper SE's.....
- did you custom order or "off the lot"
- are you concerned about range in Calgary winter?, understand your commute is short...
- any option "must have's"...
Cheers!
We bought both "off the lot" in Quebec and had them shipped to Calgary. Lots of stock available, which wasn't the case here in Alberta.

When it was -35 here a week or so back, battery usage on our trips increased by 30+ percent, but it wasn't an issue. My wife was parking at her work outside and pre-heating of the car worked perfectly and didn't use any battery power as the car was plugged in. I went from heated garage to heated garage so the only impact on both our Minis was increased battery usage while driving. For urban commuting, no matter how cold it gets the range is MORE than adequate.

There are really only cosmetic options. We both got Minis with blacked-out exterior trim, and went with the anthracite roof liner which works better with the black interior. Also went with the black muti-spoke wheels.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:28 PM
topspd
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kgoertz
I've been contemplating replacing my 996 Targa with a Taycan for a few years now. Mostly because I don't have the time to enjoy maintaining the car. But the price of the Taycan is just crazy. I was hoping the Macan would be a little more reasonable and closer to the BMI i4 M50 pricing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Looking at the used market though, the prices of used Taycan have plummeted in the past few months enough that I'm considering a used one. At some point the drop in used prices has to put pressure on the original MSRP. At least that is the hope.
I've recently thought about switching to a Taycan as a one car for everything, but like you say, the new price is crazy and used values are plummeting. Who would buy a GTS or Turbo Taycan brand new when the Turbo Macan either matches or exceeds them in performance with much better battery, drivetrain, and cabin technology at a far cheaper price.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:20 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I guess they'll just have to roll out a facelifted Taycan with an incremental performance boost to put it back on top. MSRP never comes down unless it's a Tesla.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:25 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mhenry84
Came to post same. Not sure even Porsche can avoid these 1-2 year EV hits. I had this shortlisted to replace our current SUV.
I shouldn't be too surprised at the MSRP given the SQ8 Etron is around 130K, so the Macan was going to top that easily after a few options.
But seeing 1-2 year old e-trons going for south of 70K with limited mileage already may be an indicator of same. Even the GT (sedan) had 25K discounts to end the year. Couldn't imagine the person that just bought one at 150-160k.
If you're holding them for awhile anyway, then likely moot. But quite the premium to go green. Can't be about savings either since there are options at half the cost. Model Y as some have mentioned (I would prefer the e-tron/macan, but I understand the comparison)
Yeah the 1-2 yr old etrons aren't affected by the open battery recall, but they haven't taken as much of a price hit.

I posted earlier, went to Uptown Audi to look at a red 2019 Etron for my wife. Paint was fine, a tiny bit of work maybe in the front passenger fender, but bodygaps looked fine to me. I think it was around 50K km on it. I think it was about 50% of the q4 Etron price. Didnt haggle on price or their tradein quote on the diesel bus, but the salesperson was in the managers office for 45 minutes or there abouts. They were going to add a 1yr extended factory warranty on it (still had about 6 months left on the original factory warranty) but Head Office advised them not to sell it to me at this time due to the open battery recall... It affects a lot of VAG EV vehicles from 2019-early 2022(?).

Ended up with a 13 month old 2023 Genesis GV60. probably saved about $10K over the new sticker price of ~ $79K on the 2024 GV60. Also got $1.5K more on trade-in on the diesel bus.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:29 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kgoertz

I really like the m50. I just got a email from grand river BMW that they have allocations now.... I reminded the salesperson that I already got my deposit back and picked one up back in March 2023 (from another bmw dealership)

If I were to do it again, I would look at the i4xdrive40 (slight less power AWD). this was not available when i bought my m50. I rarely use the boost. 500hp is more than enough, prolly 400hp is more than enough....

Last edited by petee_c; 01-30-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:17 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Nice looking car, disappointed with the price as well. Aren’t they going to introduce a rear drive lower end model later?

Quick Reply: Macan EV Thread