Notices

Pulled the trigger... now the tricky part

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:45 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Pulled the trigger... now the tricky part

First off, would like to thank everyone that has helped me out by answering my questions. Such a ridiculous wealth of knowledge available here !!!

Now to the point. I pulled the trigger on a car in Boston, MA. Sadly the Rennlisters from the East US forum have verified my research that indicates that MA does not offer in transit registration

However, Ontario does offer in transit permits (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...icle/temp.htm). Now, if I get this the day I fly to Boston to pick up the car, can I use this (plus my binder of insurance) to drive the car back? If not, are there any other options available to me other than shipping?

Next, once I take care of customs, I plan to drive home using the temp permit. This expires in 10 days. Now what? Garage it until I get Form 2 (which is after the inspection)?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah drive it home on the transit permit. If your insurance will cover you, that's the best plan. Don't forget that US customs needs 72 hours to process their lein search prior to you arriving at the border with the car. You can probably get your Drive Clean emmission test and Safety testing (get your DRL's working first) done while you wait for your form 2 to save time later on.
Congrats! What did you get?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just make sure they can give you the travel permit without having the car purchased in Ontario, and without showing the car to them first. I thought I could do it that way too, but was told by a couple of people at MoT that I couldn't. But they could be wrong... anyways, verify!

Originally Posted by hoffa
First off, would like to thank everyone that has helped me out by answering my questions. Such a ridiculous wealth of knowledge available here !!!

Now to the point. I pulled the trigger on a car in Boston, MA. Sadly the Rennlisters from the East US forum have verified my research that indicates that MA does not offer in transit registration

However, Ontario does offer in transit permits (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...icle/temp.htm). Now, if I get this the day I fly to Boston to pick up the car, can I use this (plus my binder of insurance) to drive the car back? If not, are there any other options available to me other than shipping?

Next, once I take care of customs, I plan to drive home using the temp permit. This expires in 10 days. Now what? Garage it until I get Form 2 (which is after the inspection)?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
rayscar
Intermediate

Good advice from Phil and exactly the process I have used the past couple of times. Make sure Canada Customs forwards the paperwork to RIV once you have paid your duty & taxes (If in fact you need to enroll the vehicle with the program). Note however that on two occasions they slipped up and forgot to fax the form to RIV. A follow up call to RIV got the ball rolling and I had form 2 to me within 24 hours. As far as the temporary transport tag is concerned it is only valid in Ontario. I purchased it knowing that and used it regardless when transporting in the U.S. Never been pulled over and never questioned at border crossing. If your timing is accurate and you push to get the form back to you quickly then you may be o.k. WHAT DID YOU GET??
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I bought a 02 targa from a fellow rennlister. Can't wait!

I'd really like to avoid paying for shipping (although as tempting as it is to have it just show up at my door with no hassle!), given the car is only 900km away. I think I am going to do waht Rayscar suggested and just risk the temp tags. I will call them now to verify.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Ok just spoke with MTO. I basically told the lady I spoke with that I bought a car from the US and that I wanted to get a temporary registration in order to drive it back. She said that is fine, and the in transit permit will suffice, but in in order to get it, you MUST have the original title and proof of insurance. Not looking good for me driving it back it seems.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Get it Fedex'd overnight to you and send it back? Or try just walking into an MTO office and see if you can smooth talk them into it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:15 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoffa
Thanks guys. I bought a 02 targa from a fellow rennlister. Can't wait!

I'd really like to avoid paying for shipping (although as tempting as it is to have it just show up at my door with no hassle!), given the car is only 900km away. I think I am going to do waht Rayscar suggested and just risk the temp tags. I will call them now to verify.

if you drive without proper tags and insurance you are not very smart...enjoy your US jail time if you get caught or god forbid have an accident..ship the bloody thing and don't risk a problem for a few dollars
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

MTO said they were valid outside Ontario and I was obviously planning to get an insurance binder. Just getting the temp tags was the tricky part.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:40 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

You have a PM......

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger... now the tricky part