Notices

painting a car in Canada vs US

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painting a car in Canada vs US

I went for a quote to Maaco; the basic spray starts at CAD799 (I know, the actual job including prepping is more), and the next day I see on TV (American channel) $249. Am I the only one who thinks we get ripped off here in Canada? Somehow I don't buy it that "the cost of doing business in Canada" is $550 higher.
I would possibly consider repainting my 944 in WA, but I believe the customs charge duty on the entire value of the car, not just he cost of painting, if they consider it "modified".
Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we get jammed for a lot of things in Canada, not just auto related stuff. Greeting cards for example ... 30% more!! Obviously a small cost item but it's the principal

Painting a p-car ... depending on the type of job you want done it could easily exceed $5,000 I would think, north or south of the border.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 AM
swbatte
Pro

I went to Macco a few years ago to look into getting a beater painted and brought this up when they told me they didn't have a $299 special.

They pointed out to me that the US add doesn't include any prep work such as sanding or even cleaning. It's just the price of spraying paint on a car.

Although that made sense, I went somewhere else because it wasn't any cheaper than a shop my family has used for years.

But yes, we do get ripped off. I checked out a new M3 in KW, and it was $82k. Same car in the US is $54k !!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the quality of a maaco job anyhow?

Peter,
south of the border is even worst. I got quoted around 5000$ for a full strip and paint on my car, 3000$ if they didn't have to pull the interior, from a quality bodyshop that does a lot of award winning show cars. In the U.S., one guy couldn't and wouldn't believe that you could do it for 5. He was quoted 7 from a bunch of speciality shops he went to.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stan944
I went for a quote to Maaco; the basic spray starts at CAD799 (I know, the actual job including prepping is more), and the next day I see on TV (American channel) $249. Am I the only one who thinks we get ripped off here in Canada? Somehow I don't buy it that "the cost of doing business in Canada" is $550 higher.
I would possibly consider repainting my 944 in WA, but I believe the customs charge duty on the entire value of the car, not just he cost of painting, if they consider it "modified".
A paint job has to be declared at the border?!?!?!?! That can't be right.

Should my aunt have declared her boob job too?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mamooguy

Pics or ban?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Pics or ban?
First we to to establish how old his aunt is....don't be needing pics of a 60 year old.....Im just saying....
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the wages are lower and so are the labour rates.
I helped a friend bring a boat back from Florida 2 weeks ago. The marina suggested to replace a leaf spring, hub, u-bolts and fasteners. The cost was $200 in total. The labour was $26 per hour.
You couldn't get that rate up here.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't their commercial "Uh oh, better not get Maaco". I would not trust them with my bicycle.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

that's so funny!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 AM
skruggs964
Pro

I got one of those $299 MAACO specials done many years ago on a beater pick-up I had. All I can say is that you get what you pay for! It was so "orange-peely" that it looked like someone painted the truck with a roller.....
Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 AM
kunkstyle
Racer

A paint job has to be declared at the border?!?!?!?! That can't be right.

Shouldn't be, but it is. You can buy parts, accessories, etc. down south, but if you have them installed there you can be nailed with duty and tax on the value of the vehicle as it's been modified and can be considered a different vehicle. Just another retarded measure by the government to keep the Canadian dollars here.

To answer the second question, there's probably a form to fill out and taxes to be paid on those too.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I think the wages are lower and so are the labour rates.
I helped a friend bring a boat back from Florida 2 weeks ago. The marina suggested to replace a leaf spring, hub, u-bolts and fasteners. The cost was $200 in total. The labour was $26 per hour.
You couldn't get that rate up here.
well, if the wages in BC car shops are over twice as in WA than it makes sense; I don't know.
Originally Posted by skruggs964
I got one of those $299 MAACO specials done many years ago on a beater pick-up I had. All I can say is that you get what you pay for! It was so "orange-peely" that it looked like someone painted the truck with a roller.....
I didn't plan to go for the cheapest job (the actual quote from Maaco in Langley, BC, was over $1500+tax, and included prepping, single-stage urethane paint, and a few minor fixes), but the numbers I wrote down earlier were for comparison of similar (and not great quality) jobs.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

I was sooooo tempted to google "senior citizen brest implants" and post a link to the most horrific thing I found there, but I'll tell the truth instead: my aunt (in her 50s) has never had a boob job.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Tax should only be on value added. so if you do a paint job on a car only the paint job should be taxed. same as putting on tires or steering wheel.

Quick Reply: painting a car in Canada vs US