Notices

Anyone just throw a tarp over their car for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did similar...once.
The problem I had was moisture in the interior of the car. As the interior would heat and cool water would condence and the result was a mildew. A lot of it!
A the least put a couple of those 'passive' dehumidifiers inside. They look like a bowl that you fill with white crystals. The crystals 'pull' the water out of the air and into the bowl that you have to empty every couple of weeks.

'93rsa 3.8
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering, but if the windshield washer fluid is not at full winter strength, will the tank crack, if it freezes?

My car will be in our unheated garage this winter, so I picked up a case of the winter stuff on the weekend.

I plan to take the car out from time to time, during or after Chinooks, when the roads are dry.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

if windshield washer fluid or any fluid freezes it will expand and may damage hoses, bottles etc...
washer fluid is cheap.
at least we don't need antifreeze!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Christien, that place in London for winter storage, can you please give me the name and telephone number? but before I do anything I'll call the insurance to see what they say about it, I know of a colleague at work, my boss actually, one of his cars was stored in a barn for the winter, the roof collapsed and the car was a total loss, the insurance paid him but I better ask beforehand to see what their policy is in such cases or in case of damages, vandalism, theft, etc.

George
Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll call them tomorrow to ask about space (I'm sure there's still space) but I know for sure that you need to maintain fire and collision coverage on the car - they told me explicitly that they're own homeowner's policy won't cover cars stored in the barn. If anything were to happen, you'd have to cover damages yourself. It's of course extremely unlikely - it's a steel barn - used to be a chicken egg/dairy operation, but now it's just storage.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the info (a little ot at times - track tire temps - but always enlightening!!). No room for a "portable" garage (and my wife would **** a brick) but as was mentioned, my biggest concern would be the moisture and resulting mildew/smell.

St Catherines is a little far for me (Beaches) but i will check out Mario. Would still much prefer indoors but if thats not going to work then perhaps save myself $400 to $1000 (Autovault) and leave it in the driveway with the cover on (and some type of moisture removal device) or just uncovered (although worried about the cab roof).

Last choice would be to drive it to my brothers place in LA and let him work on it for the winter (works at a Porsche restoration/race prep shop) and drive it back in the spring. Actually that doesnt sound too bad afterall.............
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Last choice would be to drive it to my brothers place in LA and let him work on it for the winter (works at a Porsche restoration/race prep shop) and drive it back in the spring. Actually that doesnt sound too bad afterall.............
I can't think of a better way to put it away and pick it up!!!

George, I talked to the storage place, and he's got to check if he's got any space at all. I was hoping to hear back today, but I guess not. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

I used to store my car at Leny's Automega.....secure site, heated, no access during the winter, $150 per month. He's on Evans Ave in Etobicoke.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Rinty
Drifting

When I stored my car last winter, I took the collision and public liability insurance off, and the savings covered most of the monthly cost (about $115).
Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rinty
Just wondering, but if the windshield washer fluid is not at full winter strength, will the tank crack, if it freezes?

My car will be in our unheated garage this winter, so I picked up a case of the winter stuff on the weekend.

I plan to take the car out from time to time, during or after Chinooks, when the roads are dry.
Is your garage insulated? Mine is insulated and it's surprising how it can keep the garage bearable during the cold winter months. It's -20C outside and it's barely below freezing in the garage. Even at -30C, the garage is -5C to -8C.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rinty
When I stored my car last winter, I took the collision and public liability insurance off, and the savings covered most of the monthly cost (about $115).
I decided to keep it on year long one year and noticed that my rates went up the following year. The next year I left fire & theft only and the rates then went down the following year. Friend of the family is my INS agent and she explained that the INS CO assumed you were driving it in the winter and adjusted the rates accordingly.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
IHATECLAIMS
Advanced

I found an underground condo parking for 4 months that seems pretty warm and dry.

Was going to just put on the hardtop, some sort of moth *****/bounce sheets and maybe just start it up every couple weeks without taking out the battery.

Thanks to this thread I am going to inflate the tires as well and not cover it.

Any other tips? I remember reading about a Canadian tire battery charger/maintainer that was the same as OEM from the dealer too...

Time to search through some old posts!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks like I found a place in downtown Toronto thats walking distance from my office for $150/month. The space has columns seperating it from any other vehicle which is perfect to avoid any potential door dings and its electonic access with security. Craigslist strikes again

CT does sell the battery tender and its the one i purchased. Search and you will find. Worked perfectly last year. I wont have a plug in this year so will either pull the battery or start it up once in a while. Not that **** about it so may take it out for a spin once in a while when the roads are dry and I need a diversion from work

Thanks for the thoughts
Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Is your garage insulated? Nine11
Yes, and our temperature differences are about the same as yours. It's amazing how much heat they soak up from the cars.

The 993 will be going into a new single bay which we've just built, and which is separated from the double part by an insulated wall, so I suspect it won't pick up much heat from the other cars.

But it's great to have the car here, over the winter. We get about 50 Chinooks per winter, so there's lots of opportunity to get it out. I like to run the air conditioners periodically, so the innards are kept lubed.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

PbPedis - "Mine is kept in the garage, but just wondered why it should not be parked on grass? moisture?"
Grass emits oxygen, and if I remember my grade 10 chemistry FEO3 = rust. That's why you'll never find a pristine Olds Delta 88 sitting in the farmer's field (oh yes, the paint may look extraordinary, but the whole undercarriage is rusted out). I have also heard that there is a certain amount of oxygenation that comes off of concrete as well. I have a paved garage floor, a car cover over the waxed Porsche, and anyone who thinks of shifting the cover around on the car is gonna be in deep $^&! with me anyway

Quick Reply: Anyone just throw a tarp over their car for the winter?