Notices

Ponzi scheme former UCR exec

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sad indeed. It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Shame on him for stealing other peoples futures.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I find it amazing that with all the regulators these guys are able to get away with this for very long. Just look for the guys delivering above average returns on an ongoing basis.....and by the way, if someone promises you 7% a year in this day 'n age, run don't walk the other way!
7% isn;t that hard to do ...but guaranteed from equities?
heck silver has moved more than 7% this week alone, so has APPL.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
gekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
7% isn;t that hard to do ...but guaranteed from equities?
heck silver has moved more than 7% this week alone, so has APPL.
Agreed, 7% is nothing!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,049 Likes on 746 Posts

I agree with greg. This reporter has porsche envy and loves to show Porsche owners in a poor light. He often brings up the marque over and over again in his articles.

Now i dont look so bad for arranging a rennlist social instead of going to the wake huh.

Ucr guys do keep popping up though. Wasnt Rainer Beltzer just testifying in that Ornge scandal ?

Guess he will be the next article.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

What scum
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I find it amazing that with all the regulators these guys are able to get away with this for very long. Just look for the guys delivering above average returns on an ongoing basis.....and by the way, if someone promises you 7% a year in this day 'n age, run don't walk the other way!
Many small businesses offer >10% to investors. We pay just shy of 8, and offered as high as 10 when when we were looking for more capital. I've seen ads in the globe as high as 15, and that was from a company I knew that wasn't an overly big risk.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Criminals come from all backgrounds and as a result of their proceeds of crime, get involved in all sorts of non-criminal activity because of these proceeds. Owning a Porsche or being a member in a Porsche club is no crime.

Pravda (aka the Star), because of it's directives from the top down to the editors and then to their reporters - have to portray all luxury items as either suspected ill gotten gains or proof of excessive living. There is no other viewpoint at the Star that is allowed to be printed as this would interfere with their agenda. For example; Never send a negative letter to the editor concerning their 'God' - Jack Layton - it will never be printed. They like to defend freedom of the press but of course this freedom is one way - it doesn't cover their readers freedom of expression or view and independent opinion. Funny that.

Porsche unfortunately fits into their narrow view of the world in that if you own one - you are suspected of being responsible for global warming, a suspected cheat, gun running or any other ill of the world they can think up. You cannot change their views - you can only refuse to read their garbage.

What I take from this stupid article is that Porsche are victims of their own success in that more people wish they could own one and that there is a minority of people such as this writer who never will... (The Star pays poorly) so his jealousy shines bright for all to see every time he fires up his PC.

The number of 'bad' people I've ever met driving a Porsche can be numbered in one hand. The number of wackos and dangerous people I've come across seem to be every 2nd pick up truck and every 4th SUV.

Read the Globe people.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Seems to be the rage in recent years, difference being more people are being caught.....
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker

Read the Globe people.
+1

And +1 on the rest of your post too. It was noticeable how many times the author remarked on the Porsche. If a guy is going to commit fraud to personally enrich himself, then it should be no surpise that he will end up with a nice car. Not really anything more to it. However, this author was almost comically bent on making something out of it.

As for the real story here, it just makes me sad. I did not know Jeff personally, but as a big cheese at UCR, he seemed OK. Terrible for his investors and his family.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I wonder if any of his victims were UCR members; become their friends through a shared activity, gain their trust, then become their go-to-guy for investments.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

he was the guy that ran all the old racing ads on the back cover of Provinz, so you never know, maybe some members were clients.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 79 Posts

Thought I would resurrect this thread again... this is very sad for no doubt many good people. I would suspect that with his long involvement in the UCR region of the PCA there could be more folks that might have been stung but you know, people never like to admit that they have been bitten.

An unkind old saying goes something like this.. "BS baffles brains". That no doubt applies to Mr.White and with his extroverted personality and some unwitting souls fell into the trap.... who knows what caused him to behave in such an unsavory manner, that we may never learn but the lessons are hard to swallow. I hope that the damage he caused is limited and that all who have suffered some financial losses are able to gain some form of restitution, very sad.

Jax
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gekko
Agreed, 7% is nothing!
Generally people are poor at accessing risk. When zero risk pays 1.5%, 7% is a very high return and would not be available unless there was commensurate downside risk associated with it. One day returns are irrelevant and as far as gold is concerned, it is at the top of it's historical range so there is considerable downside risk. Having said that, in a balanced portfilio held by someone a long ways from retirement, I wouldn't hesitate to gamble 10% on gold. The s**t could still hit the fan!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

gold is not at historical high when using real dollars (adjusted for inflation)
people thought oil was high at $30...then it went to 150.
US$ are risky as they are adding at least 40 billion to the money supply each month

as far as Jeff goes, he deserves to rot in hell for stealing peoples' life savings.
as far as his family goes; I feel bad for them, but shame on them if they kept his proceeds of crime by emptying the safe boxes. they should return it all if they haven't already.
I feel ripped off just cause I was at the memorial for him at the golf course he still owes money to.
his behavior definitely taints perceptions of the investment industry.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,049 Likes on 746 Posts

i gotta say .. why exactly was this resurected ? there has been no new news or developments AFAIK

let it go ..

Quick Reply: Ponzi scheme former UCR exec