Notices

Here goes...winter storage started (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Ian, is it the original battery?

Peter
Old 11-06-2012, 04:58 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

"Ian, is it the original battery? "
Hi Peter
No, number 3 but it was installed spring of 2012. Plenty of juice, starts like a charm. Greg, I also looked at the CTEK manual and it says connect before plugging into the outlet. Maybe I'll try plugging into the DD to see what happens.
I'm going to try the pos to battery pos post and the neg to the nut on the ground strap this weekend.
Thanks for the help
Ian
Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Or put the car into the Armco at an LCMT DE ... Granted its a radical approach but it does avoid all the storage hassles ... Big sigh.
At least you are laughing about it!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rideau
Help would be appreciated.
My car is an 01 996.
I have used a Porsche maintainer (old style) and it failed to maintain battery charge over the winter...new battery required.
I purchased a CTEK maintainer that has the alligator clips. The instructions say to connect to positive on battery and connect to chassis ground with negative. I couldn't find a chassis ground in the trunk compartment. I then connected to the pos and neg terminals on the battery, plugged the device in and set the mode to "car". The light indicating correct polarity is on but no activity is seen on the status lights at the top of the CTEK device. Foiled.
I then purchased the Porsche branded maintainer that plugs into the lighter. Same thing.
I looked at the manual and discovered the jumper connections in the engine compartment (I also searched and saw Greg's post on this). I thought I would try and connect the CTEK with the alligator clips to the Positive and Negative. After some messing around, I still could not get the positive terminal cover cap off. I am careful with plastic parts such as this because they usually break when force is applied.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Ian
Try the CTEK on another car to see if there is any activity, if not then the CTEK you got is likely defective.

Also switch to the snow flake setting to see if there is any activity.

I used the alligator clips to connect directly to the battery last winter, no issues, it really is a shame that CTEK doesn't include the cigarette lighter adaptor with the kit, but rather sell it separately.........
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up one of these earlier this year for $24, but CT doesn't seem to have this on their site right now. Came with the cig-lighter adapter, battery clips, and terminals for hard-wiring. Currently using the clips under the closed hood, works like a charm.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 PM
gekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Because of the upcoming long AZ trek and the inbound storm, it was time to get cars put away.

Up on the tire cradles
Do you over inflate the tires - or is that not necessary with the tire cradles?? Thks
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have a roof ?
I put mine up on the weekend. It sits in a garage most of the time, so leaving the roof down most of the summer is normal for me. When it rains..I just slip into my 944 that always has a roof! No problemo.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winter storage already?! We were just out at Shannonville this past weekend, on slicks to boot!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Hi all
An update on my travails with the battery maintainer. Thanks to Aviography, i did test it on my DD and it worked perfectly. What I finally discovered was that the wall outlet beside the 996 was dead. Maintainer (plugged into another outlet) and 996 are now at one.
So one new battery in the spring of 2012 and 2 new CTEK devices later, the electrician is on the way. Fortunately, I can use the spare CTEK at the cottage for cars and boats.
I did bang my head on the wall a few times and then had a few beers in the garage. Feeling much better.
Thanks for all the help
Ian
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ian,
May want to check the breaker/fuse for the "dead" outlet before summoning the electrician, may save you a service call charge, and more head banging!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check and all appears to be well.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Ian,
May want to check the breaker/fuse for the "dead" outlet before summoning the electrician, may save you a service call charge, and more head banging!
Also check the outlet that has the ground fault interrupter. Sometime this is tripped on another outlet that protects other outlets.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much and I'll do so. My wife has always been bemused about my Rennlist habit and I was able to give a concrete example as to how helpful it is. Should stop the "Why is Rennlist always showing up on my iPad" question for a while. Won't stop "Why do you need another thing for that car" question though.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Well..last little drive this morning before we get some flurries this evening maybe...

Roll on Spring!..........
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took my car into storage a few weeks ago. There was a bit of snow in the lane, but the roads were dry:

It's at a friend's place, on an acreage east of Calgary. It's even heated!

Our daughter uses the P-car's space for her Golf TDI in the winter; it's insulated.

Quick Reply: Here goes...winter storage started (pics)