Notices

Cost of tires in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
^^^ I think Fuzion ZRI's made by Bridgestone Firestone was the last readily available street perf tire made in that size if I am not mistaken. Someone has to have some stock somewhere.
That's what I'm finding as well. Some RE 11's too.

Lots of R compound still made though.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
I've bought 2 sets of tires from Tire Rack, first set was only a couple of months old, the second set was 5 months old, not overly happy about it but won't lose any sleep over it.

A coworker almost bought some tires on deep discount at TR, until he read the disclaimer that these were several years old, he chose not to get them.
Hear ya. But so you don't think I'm a jerk, these tires weren't on sale, and there was no disclaimer about tire age. They were also $849 landed and before installation, for 205-40 17s, which I don't think ended up a lot cheaper than local would have been. Three years is half the useful life of the tire. I'm not suggesting that Tire Rack does this all the time, only that shopping there comes with this risk. Just something to be aware of is all.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
after a run-in with a piece of pipe on the 400 yesterday I'm now on the hunt for a set of PS2's, so far
Tiretrends $1748 + install
CDN tire $2083 + install
Braiden $1760 installed
Simply $1550 installed

I'm sure results will differ depending on brands, but for me Simply tire is 15 min away highly recommended and include road force balancing .
Just a follow up on this, although every store can set install prices, we should all be around $15 (ottawa is one of the more expensive markets) and the price I have on a set of PS2 is $2068 including install, nitrogen, extended warranty, TSF and taxes.

Drop the extras and you're at about $2020. We also price match and give 10% of the lower price in Canadian Tire Money. (That's about $170 in CT money). It's VERY rare that we're beat by that much in the Canadian Market. We are one of Michelin's largest retailers and there isn't enough margin in tires to be beat that badly. I'd ask a few more questions before you assume you're comparing apples to apples with over $500 price difference.

On another note, the pricing on those PS2s is nuts! The Supersports in 19" are about $300 cheaper!! Yikes

OH, and if you end up running into any more pipes, that $6.99 per tire warranty will come in hand... None of my competitors will do that for you. Price match any canadian retailer (online or otherwise with written quote AND the best road hazard warranty out there.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Hear ya. But so you don't think I'm a jerk, these tires weren't on sale, and there was no disclaimer about tire age. They were also $849 landed and before installation, for 205-40 17s, which I don't think ended up a lot cheaper than local would have been. Three years is half the useful life of the tire. I'm not suggesting that Tire Rack does this all the time, only that shopping there comes with this risk. Just something to be aware of is all.
BruceP, I wasn't thinking of you in any poor light at all!

I don't know what action I would have taken if a "new" set of tires I ordered from TR at nearly full price of local dealers turned out to be 3 years old especially when I was not informed ahead of time of their age, as a minimum I would have demanded a significant refund of the price I paid, else I would return them at TR' expense, we ALL know rubber age over time no matter how well they are stored, it's not as if these are some metal parts like brake rotors which do not age when stored properly.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:53 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atr911
We also price match and give 10% of the lower price in Canadian Tire Money. (That's about $170 in CT money). It's VERY rare that we're beat by that much in the Canadian Market.
I live in Barrie and am starting to look for tires. I would like to keep my business local, but it is looking like it won't happen. I am looking at the Hankook V12's 235/35/19 and 285/30/19. I got a quote from a local performance tire shop for $1,690 including install, balance and taxes. Simply Tire's website price is $1,280.00 including install, balance and taxes. After reading the above, I thought I would ask my local Canadian Tire for a quote as I was there with my son. The quote I got from Canadian Tire is $1,903.00 including install, balance and taxes. I asked customer service about their price match guarantee and they were ambiguous as to what they would match and she stated that they would not match internet prices and she wasn't sure if they would match tire store prices in Toronto. What exactly is the price match policy?

Quite a difference in prices!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:28 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not too many years ago, Partsource was not honoring price-match policy by using all kinds of excuses such as they will only match a store that is within X kilometer radius, and they won't match Canadian Tire prices because they are under the same umbrella.

Partsource has since published their price match policy on their website, no distance limitation and include Canadian Tire, good for them.

Most price match from "real" stores exclude internet prices, I can't fault them as the overhead for a real store is likely much higher than internet sites.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my new rubber installed yesterday, I absolutely LOVE them!

Thanks to Zookie for sourcing them and to SCB for a great job installing!
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just want to comment on the tire age issue. A few things to keep in mind is that many tires are produced overseas, and in limited production runs annually. That means that they may only be made a few times a year, and after inventorying and transit times it's not uncommon at all for a tire to be several months old or more before it hits our doors. In many cases that's the soonest anyone is getting them because of the cycle the manufacturers are producing and/or importing them in. Because of our volume we also do not QC tires for age as we receive them because we ask the manufacturers to send us the freshest available. Remember, tire makers just don't produce any size every month as needed. The industry just does not work that way. If the maker has 100 tire presses and 1000 part numbers to be made in them, there will always be a tire on a production schedule to be eventually produced.

As a matter of FYI it is possible for you to inquire as to age on your tires when they are purchased from us. We keep track of DOT dates as sales go out for warranty and recall purposes. So, it it possible for us to give you a good idea of the date range you will be receiving based on what we have sold recently - all you have to do is ask. If we are closing out a model or size of tire due to older production we will always indicate that to you at the time of the sale. It's very important to us that you understand as our customers that at no time are we trying to "sneak" old tires over on you. It's just that frankly we don't consider a year old tire to be, well, old because by industry standards it isn't. I do agree three year old tires are starting to get up there in age. If you do get tires from us that are too old we will do what we can to rectify the situation because we want you to be happy with your purchase. The manufacture dates are available to you. If it's important to you, we will provide the dates and leave it up to you if it is acceptable or not. There are two very good articles on tire age here and here that do provide more information.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Damon, can you let us know how to inquire about the age of the tires we're buying prior to completing the purchase on your web site?

It's good to know this is possible. But I think it's also fair to acknowledge that this information isn't at all conspicuous in the ordering process. Also, regarding your wish for happy customers, I'd say this has clear limits. In my particular case, I was not offered any accommodation for my three-year old Blizzaks. I wouldn't use tires on a performance car that were more than six years old regardless of how they were stored, so this was no small thing for me.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to learning how to vet tire age during the ordering process. I love Tire Rack's service. It would be good to be able to do business again.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just placed an order for track tires (Toyo RA1's) with Tirerack. One reason is that they offer heat cycling.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Damon, can you let us know how to inquire about the age of the tires we're buying prior to completing the purchase on your web site?

It's good to know this is possible. But I think it's also fair to acknowledge that this information isn't at all conspicuous in the ordering process. Also, regarding your wish for happy customers, I'd say this has clear limits. In my particular case, I was not offered any accommodation for my three-year old Blizzaks. I wouldn't use tires on a performance car that were more than six years old regardless of how they were stored, so this was no small thing for me.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to learning how to vet tire age during the ordering process. I love Tire Rack's service. It would be good to be able to do business again.
Our website will not give you tire age ranges. You will have to call in and ask for them. If I can ever help you on anything please give me a call.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
Why does it cost double to buy the same tire in Canada, as opposed to the USA?
I got my Michelin PS2s locally and after professional installation and tax, I paid about $175 more for a set of 4.

But yes, most everything is vastly more expensive here...because of greed. I shop in the US and don't ask the above question anymore.

I used PMC Tire out of Quebec for tires on my daily driver. Free shipping within QC and ON and they got to my front door in under 24 hours.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

^^^ +1 but I will add its not the greedy dealers / installers the manufactures make up to triple what dealers make in some cases especially on ultra performance tires in Canada!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Got my new rubber installed yesterday, I absolutely LOVE them!

Thanks to Zookie for sourcing them and to SCB for a great job installing!
nice!!! how does it "handle"? sorry guys inside joke
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zook@SCB
nice!!! how does it "handle"? sorry guys inside joke
Really responsive... tires have tons of grip!

Quick Reply: Cost of tires in Canada