Notices

RMS / Oil dripping

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS / Oil dripping

My 2008 C2S Cab (997.1) has 57,000 km. In October 2011, I brought it in to Downtown Porsche for a routine annual service before putting it away for the winter. While I hadn't seen any oil dripping (nor was there any need to add oil), they advised that the RMS was leaking and I paid to have it replaced.

The car was fine and, again, not leaking or consuming oil.

In October 2014, I again brought the car to Downtown Porsche for annual service. An oil change was performed and no problems were noted. 2 days later, I put the car away for winter.

About a month after that service, I looked up at the car on the lift and noticed oil dripping!

Only a few drops were noted to accumulate over the whole winter.

I just brought the car back to the dealer and was advised that it's the RMS again - 3 years after it was replaced! Since it's not leaking much, they advised that I live with it (which means, primarily, that I can't park it on my driveway which will become stained - the garage has a washable floor).

I knew that the RMS was an issue that would require service periodically for winter stored cars but is 3 years not premature for such an expensive repair?

Lastly, I would note that the oil level indicator shows above the top line but I was advised that this wouldn't cause leakage.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

David
Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Some will leak and some won't If you have a RMS that leaks, the new one will leak again just a matter of time, I'd live with it until you need a new clutch. My 996 C4S RMS sweated and was changed twice under warranty and I replaced it again when I did my clutch.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Since the leak is small and manageable, leave it alone. It's a $40 part that needs a lot of labour to replace.

Quick Reply: RMS / Oil dripping