Is this weird??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:18 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Is this weird??

Got the following message through my corporate website

"Hi Rick, I work at Downtown Porsche. I saw you driving on Eastern on my way to work (live in the same area). I noticed you didnt buy your C4S Cab here, so just wanted to touch base. Please let me know if you need anything or would consider trading up. We are always looking for 997 C4S trades. Cheers,"

I don't know this person but obviously a salesman. The only way I figured he could get this info is through tracking my license plate info to get my name and then a google search to find where I work etc

I guess sales must be slow....
Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM
vern1
Drifting

Just thinking about this again, I have had some service work at downtown Porsche so I guess he could have pulled my license info from their service records
Old 02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I like to hear that a salesperson got off their duff and did some prospecting.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

sounds like the the typical ploy from all dealerships to make more money by getting people to trade up!

they have your info from your previous servicing that you must have done with them.

Last edited by myw; 02-08-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:35 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

My first reaction, while the attempt is just prospecting which a key pillar for a salesman that email is written as if he is writing to a friend. Mr. ------- would have been a great start along with offers he thought might have interested you. I am still old school when it comes to proper sales etiquette.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

One of my contractors had their VW dealership offer to buy back their Tiguan twice only to offer them a new one twice in a row.

This happened under the premise where a customer wanted their exact configuration/colour scheme and by selling them a new one, they get a kick back from VW.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
One of my contractors had their VW dealership offer to buy back their Tiguan twice only to offer them a new one twice in a row.

This happened under the premise where a customer wanted their exact configuration/colour scheme and by selling them a new one, they get a kick back from VW.
We get this crap from the Caddie dealer all the time. They have no buyer. What they have is a plan to send the car to the US and make a buck on the dollar difference plus get you into another new car furthering their profit churn just when the depreciation is flat lining.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:12 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

A lot of my dealer friends are chasing down used cars to send them down to the states. With a landed Canadian car, they have a set cdn price. Bring in a traded car, send it to auction. Collect $5-7000.
Super easy with F150's. 18 month old truck, get a new truck for the same payment. Old truck goes to auction. Out of the country by end of week...
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Trucks going to the USA is big right now.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I get a phone call or email somewhat often from a local BMW dealer pitching me a new 3er.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:57 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Just thinking about this again, I have had some service work at downtown Porsche so I guess he could have pulled my license info from their service records
This is why they contacted you. An interesting approach considering how sensitive we are today about our "privacy". This tactical email campaign can/will totally backfire when someone's privacy panties get in a bunch. There is no way (unless you work for the ministry of transportation/service ontario) that personal information in the form of an address can be found via a license plate.

The coolest marketing scheme I've seen was from a few years ago; I believe it was Pfaff that went around and parked brand new 991s in peoples driveways, took photos, and on-the-spot, created a postcard to show potential clients what a brand new 911 would look like at their own house...

Brilliant.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
This is why they contacted you. An interesting approach considering how sensitive we are today about our "privacy". This tactical email campaign can/will totally backfire when someone's privacy panties get in a bunch. There is no way (unless you work for the ministry of transportation/service ontario) that personal information in the form of an address can be found via a license plate.

The coolest marketing scheme I've seen was from a few years ago; I believe it was Pfaff that went around and parked brand new 991s in peoples driveways, took photos, and on-the-spot, created a postcard to show potential clients what a brand new 911 would look like at their own house...

Brilliant.
I'm on the fence about that one, a normal campaign is fine but parking a car on my private properly to sell a new car is just a tad beyond that fine line .

That being said, I recently had an email campaign just promoting some specials, new products and services. A couple people really got upset and vocal that I was spamming them. They quoted anti spam laws and asked to be remove off the list.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by boman993

Brilliant.
Yes, that was my 1st thought ie no matter how they got it, should they have used it? I went to get a door handle fixed and next thing u know their sales people are after you??

And it wasn't that he was mining their data - he saw me on the road and wrote down my plate to check when he got to work. Then saw I had some service done but didn't buy the car there

Just didn't feel right
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

to me this whole thing is kinda creepy.

Quick Reply: Is this weird??