Notices

New F1 qualifying rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

What a flipsy flopsy sport.. Here is another article http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ay-for-bahrain
Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it's absolutely stupid that they are going to use the new "knock-out" qualifying rules for Bahrain as well. Everybody saw what it did to Q3 in Australia... yet they are going to do it again. There comes a point where it no longer makes sense to go out again... and then you end up having like 5 minutes of dead time at the end of qualifying... which is when it should be most exciting!

The rule makers are too stubborn. I really like the idea of Q1 and Q2 being knock-out... and Q3 being the old system... a 10 car shoot-out. Why can't they do this???

And in what other sport are the rules changed like a week before the season begins???
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

The problem is the teams have no ***** to actually say "screw you FOM", Ferrari has massive veto power, Horner actually was in favor of this system while Ferrari/Merc were against. Smaller teams have no say.

Nascar might have gimmicks but they are rather consistent with rule making and only apply major changes to the next season.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I believe Horner didn't want to go along with the concept of 1st & 2nd qualifying having the timed knockouts, while removing them for the 3rd. He wants it gone altogether. The fear is that if they compromise, it will stick. This way the existing rules stand for Bahrain, which hopefully forces the issue and they will scrap it altogether. We shall see though.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM
88 951S
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, can't believe they haven't changed this qualifying yet. Horrible!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 88 951S
Wow, can't believe they haven't changed this qualifying yet. Horrible!
We'll see what crap they come up with on Thursday!...
They need to stop blaming these changes to equalize the faster teams vs the slower teams!...that was Bernie's excuse!.....in fact they've just high lighted the faster teams!...
Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
88 951S
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KLCC 88
We'll see what crap they come up with on Thursday!...
They need to stop blaming these changes to equalize the faster teams vs the slower teams!...that was Bernie's excuse!.....in fact they've just high lighted the faster teams!...
Perhaps adding enough time for teams to actually do more than one hot lap before having to go to garage for refuelling? the warm up lap, hot lap, cool down lap, refuelling/tires doesn't add up.

or just go back to the way it was, it was just fine.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

frankly I'd like to see a minimum amount of laps each team has to do per quali ...... get more tires to the teams so they don't whine about using up their tires for race day...Fans both at the venues and on TV are watching P1,2,3 and Quali and not just the race!.

As a huge F1 who travels the world to watch them....this year is starting to be Not so Fan friendly and rubbish excuses.....glad it's only the 2nd race...there's always hope for some sanity....just not from Bernie or Todd.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 421 Likes on 176 Posts

On a related topic how good have Haas F1 been so far! Its nice to see a new entrant actually score points and seem to have a good car.

Bahrain was a good race...
Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
On a related topic how good have Haas F1 been so far! Its nice to see a new entrant actually score points and seem to have a good car.

Yes..Bahrain was good...Australia was good as well. Too bad we could have seen how well Button would have ended up and or Vettel.

The young kids were very good....
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 421 Likes on 176 Posts

I was happy to see Kimi come back from a dismal start to place 2nd. Had Vettel continued in the race it would have been even more exciting!!! Although I'm hoping Kimi dominates Ferrari this year...
Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,049 Likes on 746 Posts

Personally I don't care about the qualifying. I never watch it. All i can say is these have been the best two first races in years. So something is working.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche

As I said in OT, Haas applied Nascar logic to F1. Buying as much off the shelf items from another established team as possible thus reducing time fiddling with trying stuff out. They also got a good overall team package... I bet my friend 50$ that GRO gets a podium by Montreal or in Montreal.

Originally Posted by KLCC 88
Yes..Bahrain was good...Australia was good as well. Too bad we could have seen how well Button would have ended up and or Vettel.

The young kids were very good....
Pretty sad when the only points scored by McLaren came from a very talented reserve driver. Makes me wonder wtf BUT and ALO are still doing there. It's funny how everyone tossed Johnny Herbert under the bus for his ALO comment but he's 100% correct.

I am looking forward to seeing more VAN and WEH battles. Does anyone else fell that MAG is a overrated?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really think no matter what they do with qualifying, the results will end up very similar. Big 2, will always be at the top. What I also have enjoyed is the Sky News crew before the race, some great interviews and behind the scenes information.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:27 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Now they are saying the next system they want to try is an aggregate of 2 laps... wtf??? For some reason they say they are NOT going back to 2015 qualifying rules. What was so wrong with 2015 rules again???

Quick Reply: New F1 qualifying rules