Notices

Michael Wekerle sues Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
So what happend to the car? Got fixed, parted out, went back to Porsche?
What I do know is Porsche had a few of their engineers flown in the following day checking the car out. Beyond that I don't know.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:17 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That's quite a path the alleged fuel traveled to make it up and rearward to the exhaust.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

I assumed he picked up his 991R already before he filed the suit?

Or maybe he didn't get one?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe Kurt Browning should consider a lawsuit for his BBQ'd by leaf blower incident... "Accidents are usually "Stupids" disguised to modestly protect dignities.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:47 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama
Maybe Kurt Browning should consider a lawsuit for his BBQ'd by leaf blower incident... "Accidents are usually "Stupids" disguised to modestly protect dignities.
BINGO!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I assumed he picked up his 991R already before he filed the suit?

Or maybe he didn't get one?
I was surprised to hear that not all 918 owners opted for the 911R. But he could be very well butt hurt that he never got the chance to nab one...
Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama
Exactly!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Doesn't matter if he used a squeegee...the fact that fuel was present that enabled him to spread it using a squeegee is the issue. As a matter of fact I wonder if the courts will see his "desperation in using the squeegee" as evidence to the fact that there was unusual amounts of gas present. "OMG there's fuel running down my car super car towards the engine bay...**** what do I do...grab the squeegee and try to dissipate the fuel"....I've done the same on my car. Its not an unusual mental thought in the moment. He has a case here.

Normally squeegees are full of fluid or water right? I'm no chemistry expert but wouldn't the water dissipate the fuel? There must have been quite a lot of fuel present and based on shape (this could be Porsche's problem) of where the fuelling cap is the excess fuel could have ran down towards the engine bay and this is where he, in a panic, grabs the squeegee and attempts to prevent the fuel reaching the engine bay.

Trust me the lawyers would have already broken this down part by part.
It's possible that the station used mixed windshield washer fluid and water in the squeegee bucket.
Isn't there methanol in the fluid?
Just sayin
Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster

Nope.

Observe how the fuel filler cap is below the exhaust pipes. Note also that the filling hose has been removed and the car is not yet on fire. Without the ill-considered squeegee intervention spilled fuel would have simply run down the side of the car and on the ground like it would with any other car.
Great link. Not many people have seen the gas station footage that was on global. It shows the whole thing.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Donster
Pro

Originally Posted by Brian 162
It's possible that the station used mixed windshield washer fluid and water in the squeegee bucket.
Isn't there methanol in the fluid?
Just sayin
Yes, there is methanol in wiper fluid and methanol is flammable. However most gas station squeegee fluid would be very dilute wiper fluid, and probably not flammable as it's nearly all water, a little methanol, and some detergent.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:55 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Methanol/alcohol is used to prevent windshield washer fluid from freezing, but it's in very small quantity by volume well mixed in with water suspension in windshield washer fluid from its hydroscopic property.

IF the windshield washer was remotely flammable or can contribute to ignition or fire, the warning label would have been required, I have yet to see any regular concentration windshield washer with the flammable warning symbol, although the Rain-X windshield treatment product does have much stronger concentration of alcohol and does have flammability warning caution on it's container.

BTW, alcohol based hand sanitizers also have strong concentration, that's how it dries quickly, it IS flammable as I had confirmed a few years ago during a bet with a friend, he could not believe the heat it gave out while the flame was nearly colorless.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:07 AM
ansonintoronto
Racer

I've seen countless people using a squeegee to clean off overfilled gasoline on the side of their cars.....almost giving it a full wash....cringe. I would never use a gas station squeegee period.

Perhaps the squeegee that was used on the 918 had traces of gasoline in it that splashed "up" onto the exhaust/engine area during his haste? Just a thought. 🍻
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

My understanding is that gas itself will not ignite, it's the fumes that go boom. If it was the exhaust that ignited the fire, how is squeegeeing it down going to start it? The exhaust is above. no?
Old 11-07-2016, 01:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,045 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
I'll just leave this here
Well at least if they do another ***** Wonka remake he will make up all his lost money .
Old 11-07-2016, 01:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
wrong
no deductible if car is written off in Ontario.
no increase in premium from one fire.
ask me how I know
Interesting.

I presume his insurance wouldnt give him the appreciation value is how the problem really started.

Quick Reply: Michael Wekerle sues Porsche