Sponsored by:

Short Shifter vs. Reg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts
Question Short Shifter vs. Reg?

I have a 997 S on order (march build) and had been thinking about the Short Shifter and adding it to my order. I drove a std. 997 and a 996 back to back and the 997 shift throw was noticeably shorter.

How is the Short Shifter compared to the Std.?

Worth getting?

I have a Vette with the Tremec 6 speed and that's notchy when cold. My old Accord was smooth as butter.

I would appreciate comments. Thanks.

Yes I'm going to send in my membership $$$ when the car arrives.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it and it is worth every penny...It is much better than stock 997 shifter. It feels much more precise and a bit stiffer than without the short shifter.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
I have it and it is worth every penny...It is much better than stock 997 shifter. It feels much more precise and a bit stiffer than without the short shifter.
Enjoying that 78F weather are you? Its 14F here, just puked another inch of snow and we have 1 foot + coming saturday!

Lucky dog! Enjoy that beauty every minute you can and think of us jealous "garaged wannabes" back here!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Actually it was 85 here today...I am running the A.C tonight ...can you believe it!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would add the short-shift option. I had it installed after the fact on my 997S and it's very nice. It's still light and smooth - not as notchy as the 996 SSK. I think it's also cheaper to just order it from the factory - so you might as well do it.

-Ray
Old 01-20-2005, 05:07 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 211 Posts

The short shift sounds pretty sweet. BTW - I'm in Northern Cali and it was 70 degrees today. Not exactly LA weather, but I'll take it over the rain we had over the last 3 weeks.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I added it today.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:07 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the Porsche Sport (short) Shifter installed in my 997S today by the dealer. I bought the SSK (P/N 997 424 983 00) from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, OR, for $419.95 plus shipping. Cost to install was $172.50. I have not yet driven it when engine is cold, but with the engine warmed up, the shifts are much more positive than with stock shifter. With the engine warmed up, the shifts are no harder than the stock shifter. Very smooth. I am very happy with the result.

On my car with the stock shifter, the shifts were a bit hard into 1st & from 1st to 2nd, when the engine was cold. Once the oil temp got to normal, these shifts became easier.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill I didnt want to wait for the Shifter are there other brands of short shifters out there or is the SSK tough for track use? any warranty issues with the shifter installation?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 AM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part number I indicated in the above post is for the Porsche Tequipment Sport Shift Kit. No warranty issues I can think of, especially if installed by a dealer. B & M also make a short shifter. I have no idea what it does for warranty matters. Perhaps someone else here can enlighten you on this. Ditto for the track capability of the Porsche Sport Shifter. I assume it is designed for use in tracking your car.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Short Shift and New Car Warranty issues

I currently own a 2005 997S with 2400 miles on it with no problems to date. About 2 months ago I purchased the B & M Short Shift kit and installed it myself. I am not a mechanic but consider myself capable of following the simple instructions that came with the shifter and was told that it could be installed in about an hour using common tools. It took me about 2 hours to complete the install (I took my time and followed directions that came with the kit). If i had to do it again one hour would be sufficient. My point is that you don't have to be a mechanic to install these kits.
For me, the B&M shifter makes a huge difference with not only shorter throws but a more positive feel entering "the gates". Once the tranny is warmed up the 1st to 2nd "notchy" shift feel is gone (same is true for the stock shifter only its a bit less noticeable). Now, before you all go out and install these kits keep 2 things in mind (I found this out later because i assumed that the B&M short shift kit for the 997 WAS the OEM kit, however it is not! To complicate things further B&M IS the manufacturer for the Porsche OEM Short Shift kit which I was told was almost identical to the one I installed but at double the cost. Secondly, your dealer MUST install the OEM kit in order not to compromise your drivetrain warranty. I inquired with letters to PCNA and spoke to my dealers head mechanic after the fact, so now the kit I installed will have to be removed and come Friday my dealer will do the re-install using the OEM Kit (they quoted me 3 hours at $150 per hour + $495.00 for the part). The kit I installed cost $225.00 + $0.00 labor. I know what your all thinking (keep the old part and..................). Too late, I already opened my big mouth! Cheers.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed an oem ssk myself and the dealer where I bought the shifter said that was NOT a problem. I guess if I ever have an issue I'll play dumb or reinstall the stock shifter.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:23 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Differences between the B&M and OEM shifter

C4S, I got different answers from different people about this issue. The online company that sold the B&M kit told me said it was identical to the OEM, and they have sold 100's to 996 owners, but after browsing other members posts I see that the OEM short shifter still retains the plastic inserts and looks similiar to the stock unit with just a shorter throw. As soon my the dealer installs the OEM short shifter this Friday i will post the comparative differences between the two. One thing I forgot to mention since my last post is that, it is illegal for a car manufacturer to "void" the entire new car factory warranty because of a non OEM part that was installed UNLESS it has a direct relationship with the failed part. Put simply, the tranny would be covered regardless of weather the shifter its OEM or not but if the cause of the failure pointed to the cables that run to the shifter due to improper installation/adjustment of the cables then they would definitely not cover it. The actual shifter obviously would not be covered. Sounds like you should be just fine especially if your dealer gave you the green light. It will be interesting comparing the two come Friday as I've read from some 996 owners that the B&M is the way to go. FYI, the sleaves on the B&M are aluminum not plastic. Also the part # for the B&M shifter is: 45135 and it states on the box that it fits all 997 models, 996 modlels, and 986 models (Boxster). The directions are a bit different for each model and the shifter accepts all stock *****.

Last edited by gradyex; 02-03-2005 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Grady, I initially put a BM in mine, but later changed it out to a OEM ssk that i got for a great price(300). Why? BC I was worried about warranty issues with the tranny. The two shifters are exactly the same, the line factory item has the plastic bushings, which make for a soft feel. However, the oem ssk retrofit kit used to include the same aluminum bushings (diff color). I later found out that the oem ones that are mounted in housings with plastic bushing were ones that were prepped for assembly line install. The kit you buy from the dealer/retrofit is just the shifter, alum bushings just like the BM.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

C4S Surgeon, You are talking about a 996 shifters, right?

On the 997, the OEM shifter and the short-shifter use plastic pieces. The short shifter assembly looks almost exactly like the stock assembly. It does not have that "metal-to-metal" feel of the 996 short-shifter. It doesn't feel anything like the 996 short-shifter. (Btw, I have it on my 997S).

Quick Reply: Short Shifter vs. Reg?