Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.

Last week on the way home from the dealer who was inspecting my new ride (notice Pepper in background):

a brake warning came up in the display. So today I find out I need to replace the front rotors and brake bads...after only 20k miles. I can understand pads, but the rotors? I asked if the rotors would be covered under warranty and they said no, it was wear and tear. My wife drives the Pepper and she does not drive it hard.

Further, I will need to get the rears done in the next few months as well.

$825 lighter, and the monkey at the dealer also scratched the right front wheel (I suspect just carelessness by letting the wheel fall on its face). Boy is the service manager and lead mechanic going to get an earful on Monday.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:56 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

None of that sounds right.

Each time I've inspected the pads I found plenty of meat, how have yours looked?

The rotors are the most bullet-proof I've seen.

The wheels are supposed to be removed and installed using two alignment guide pins, not just the one in the tool kit.

What wheel is on the vehicle?

That is a great color on the Carrera.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience.

I'm at 60K on original rotors....and I tow (yes, I used the "T" word...what next the "!") quite frequently.
I'm on my 2nd set of pads....first set was replaced at ~ 20K miles due to the 'squealing' problem that would not go away.
Perhaps brake wear is similar to tire wear...some Cayennes eat tires while others do not. I don't recall many people going thru a set of rotors so quickly.

A quick scan of the TSB's came up with nothing; just the squealing brake problem being back (again) on certain 2006 Cayennes.....pads will be replaced.....again.....it's like a bad movie.

Why were the rotors replaced? Were they simply below minimum thickness or were there grooves?

I'm not sure how you could challenge this one; brakes would be viewed (by arbitration or court) as an obvious consumable (wear/tear item).
Perhaps asking the dealer/PCNA rep to do the rears for labor only; no cost for parts?

The damage to the wheel is a no brainer; they're on the hook for that one.

BTW, spectacular color on your 993...congratulations and best of luck with the Carrera
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slightly OT, I've had issues with weird brake squealing on my '06... do you have a link to that tsb?

thx!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its in the dealer techs instructions, pads with rotors. My pads were great at 40K even tho I bought a replacement set. I left the for the next pad change, maybe
Old 02-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

My CTT has about 20K miles on it and I'm ready for some new front rotors and pads. I like to hit the brakes hard and this is not unexpected for me. If your wife drives the car easy it does not sound right to me.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by charlieXS
slightly OT, I've had issues with weird brake squealing on my '06... do you have a link to that tsb?
thx!
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2006, 12:46 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have put a second set of rotors (frozen slotted) in the cay at about 20k also but that included about 5 Sebring track events. That also involved 4 sets of pads! Was worth every cent!

These are big vehicles I dont think a set of rotors is "really" shocking for some vehicles at that amount of miles.

sorry you are so upset
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not experienced the squealing/squeaking, but my VIN falls within that range for 2006 models. I'll be keeping my ear to the ground for the first signs...

BTW, is this a recall (i.e. safety issue that by law must be corrected by the manufacturer at their expense), or a voluntary campaign (i.e. at owner's expense)?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Budget M3
I've not experienced the squealing/squeaking, but my VIN falls within that range for 2006 models. I'll be keeping my ear to the ground for the first signs...

BTW, is this a recall (i.e. safety issue that by law must be corrected by the manufacturer at their expense), or a voluntary campaign (i.e. at owner's expense)?
Neither.

It is a Workshop Campaign/Technical Service Bulletin.
It will instruct the dealer what to do IF an owner complains about a specific issue covered by a relevant/released TSB.
So, if you are complaining about brake squeal, your dealer will replace the pads and send the bill to PCNA.....few/no questions asked.

A safety issue/recall was the infamous A506 rear seat belt "cowboy belt buckle" device. That was mandated to be done.....you could NOT refuse to have it installed, as PCNA was required to do so.

There are over 130 of these TSB's currently published for the Cayenne.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the clarification, Lewis...I assume one has to be a PCNA/dealer "insider" to get access to the TSB's. Is there anywhere us laymen can go to access this type of info (besides posting on Rennlist, of course!)...
Old 02-26-2006, 01:49 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 28K miles and brakes are fine. Must be doing a lot of city driving to burn through rotors and pads!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts

We have about 78,000 miles and we have replaced the front pads and rotors twice and the rea pads and rotors once - I too asked the same questions you did and got the same reply and was shocked at how fast they wore out - then again how much does the vehicle weigh??? My dealer has always been fair with me also.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Budget M3
Thx for the clarification, Lewis...I assume one has to be a PCNA/dealer "insider" to get access to the TSB's. Is there anywhere us laymen can go to access this type of info (besides posting on Rennlist, of course!)...
The easiest way is to head over to www.renntech.org
Become a contributing member (you can use PayPal):
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...nt&code=donate
then you will have access to TSB's (and other info) via the OnLine Docs pulldown menu at the top.
Much like rennlist, it's the best $40-$50 you will ever spend. Loren is a great guy.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by T2
We have about 78,000 miles and we have replaced the front pads and rotors twice and the rea pads and rotors once - I too asked the same questions you did and got the same reply and was shocked at how fast they wore out - then again how much does the vehicle weigh???

My dealer has always been fair with me also.
You and I are lucky enough to live close to one of the best Porsche dealerships on the planet.

Quick Reply: I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.