Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf CTR3 announced

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get one in Black and presto... youve got the next BatMobile !
Damn ugly IMHO
Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Get one in Black and presto... youve got the next BatMobile !
Damn ugly IMHO

?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

For some reason, it reminds me of that f348 test mule for the enzo..... (probably the hips)

Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

If the CTR3 is not Cayman-based, I would contend that whomever thought it would be a great idea to create the new chassis/body of a $300k car to look almost exactly the same as a $50k Cayman should get out of the industry.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
If the CTR3 is not Cayman-based, I would contend that whomever thought it would be a great idea to create the new chassis/body of a $300k car to look almost exactly the same as a $50k Cayman should get out of the industry.

Eclou, it is not $300k, it is Euro 380k = over $500k. A very high price for Ruf exclusivity....
Old 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

$500k? It should look more like a Hyundai then...
Old 04-13-2007, 07:41 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the launch and then again today and I must say that the design grows on you. Usually the sign of a good design. The car has 103" wheel base and is a very stable platform designed for high speed stability to compare it to the Ferrari test mule is a bad joke.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by LAT
I was at the launch and then again today and I must say that the design grows on you. Usually the sign of a good design. The car has 103" wheel base and is a very stable platform designed for high speed stability to compare it to the Ferrari test mule is a bad joke.
Yes, but cosmetically it is still a mutant. I also wonder, if Ruf has become a manufacturer building supercars that resemble porsches to that degree, what will be the position of Porsche AG in that regard? is it OK in germany to let a company manufacture a car so similar in cosmetic design to their own? This is not tuning anymore. just wondering.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LAT

That mule auctioned off for more than anybody will ever pay for a CTR3.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Duane993
Racer

Hes. thank you for all the pics. Concept cars alway improve the breed and RUF and been improving the breed for years. However their relocation to Bahrain has moved them closer to the pimp my Porsche mentality, which is not surprising considering the clientele there

A few other points to clarify:
1) The front end of a Cayman is essentially the same as the front end of a 997. Check the part numbers.
2) Porsche "chopped" the windshield of the 964 Speeder as well as earlier Speeders. Hot rodders have been doing this since the 1950's
3) Even Ferrari and Lamborghini have given up on no rear view mirror. The last street vehicle I was in that used a camera instead of a rear view mirror was a Hertz bus.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:56 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by Duane993
Hes. thank you for all the pics. Concept cars alway improve the breed and RUF and been improving the breed for years. However their relocation to Bahrain has moved them closer to the pimp my Porsche mentality, which is not surprising considering the clientele there
you're welcome. while I am understandably a Ruf supporter, I don't expect that everyone will feel the same way. The pics I just post to share and get some fun and (hopefully) interesting discussion going. everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, and as long as expressed appropriately, are always fun to read

A few other points to clarify:
1) The front end of a Cayman is essentially the same as the front end of a 997. Check the part numbers.
again, you are right. actually when I asked the Ruf guys if the front end was based on a 911 or a Cayman, they said "there's no difference!". ok, so I was a bit cheeky in saying the front end is based on a 911... but that IS as accurate as saying the front end is based on a Cayman. conversely, you could say that both statements are equally INaccurate

2) Porsche "chopped" the windshield of the 964 Speeder as well as earlier Speeders. Hot rodders have been doing this since the 1950's
am still happy that they did it. personally, I think the Cayman/Boxster windshield is too tall, giving the car a somewhat "frumpy" look, just a bit. utilizing that profile as-is wouldn't have suited an all out supercar...

3) Even Ferrari and Lamborghini have given up on no rear view mirror. The last street vehicle I was in that used a camera instead of a rear view mirror was a Hertz bus.
indeed i can imagine at least a few people who would be put off by this, as it certainly compromises the everyday usability of the car. Did the Maserati MC12 have a rear view mirror? I can't remember. and anyway, that car certainly is no daily driver either!

cheers
Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,977 Likes on 560 Posts

so the real question is, should I get a ctr3 or all of these: gt3, e63 and a f430 and gas and insurance

lol
Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

I don't get it.
There's zero rear vision. And I mean zero. From the pics there seems to be a metal foil covering the rear "window" plus, of course, the slats. How do you park this thing? How do you drive it in traffic even with rear view TV?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:59 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AAH986
Yes, but cosmetically it is still a mutant. I also wonder, if Ruf has become a manufacturer building supercars that resemble porsches to that degree, what will be the position of Porsche AG in that regard? is it OK in germany to let a company manufacture a car so similar in cosmetic design to their own? This is not tuning anymore. just wondering.
You are right it's not tuning it's manufacturing that's why RUF carries their own VIN's. It must be good with Porsche because they have been doing this with RUF (buying body shells) for many years.

IMO it kind of sucks that RUF Bahrain has opened because now RUF car's may be either German or Bahrain built silly thought i know. In the other case it shows you how much RUF as a tuner/manufacturer has grown since his father owned the business as a auto shop/restorer. It all goes back to a 356...

Quick Reply: Ruf CTR3 announced