Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tomorrow i will bite the bullet and upgrade to 2.02. unless somone posts screen shots in the meantime, i will post some for those of us who have been waiting.

i think my BT kit will be here tomorrow as well. more on that if it gets here
Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 PM
PaulStuart
Track Day

My "upgrade" failed to show the iPod, even after using iTunes to factory reset the iPod. I have now
disconnected for a second time and turned all the power off for another night. Perhaps you can not do this on the solstice or close thereto. I fully expect a try to be successful soon, because this new software is so much better. Watch out which end of the bullet is facing in.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Ha! good advice Paul. good luck! (did ya hit the reset on top of the GW? in case that might work?)
Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul, I had the same problem until Eric suggested that I turn off the PCM and come back to it in 5 mins. I went into CD6 and choose the iPOD (2nd one) as the source. It worked great after that.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Here's today's experience on loading Ver 2.02. When the BT arrives I will post some pics of it; Fedex says it's on the way today. Initial impressions: positive on V2.02

As Eric mentioned, no more selection for 'charge' -automatic now (woohoo! -Ver 1 wouldn't stay locked to 'play' or '+2' on version 1 for me)

So, here's the sequence: installed Ver2 while PCM was on, took about a minute to download from a thumbdrive, Ipod flashed on as the manual said. Turned off the PCM, locked the car waited five minutes (this is black magic, right?)

Turned the PCM on and pushed the CD button (screen below) and went to 'menu'

Used the rotary to move to menu and then selected "IpodGW" from the list. See the pics. Worked the first time

As those have said before, it loads faster and I've seen no loading issues. Still getting used to the interface.

I left the GW at Select+ so I can use the rotary ****. I didn't try flipping the magic switch 3 times (might land in Kansas?) to go to 'paging' instead of "select"

a couple more screen shots -aplogize for crappy pics

I selected Pretenders album (the 3 songs on the iPod from that album appeared

Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

GW Bluetooth is here. If you look at the instructions pic, there are 3 connections

BT Unit
Unplug the iPod cable from the GW500. Plug the BT into the GW (where the iPod was connected) and then plug the iPod cable into the BT -daisy chain like
Mike
Plug in the microphone jack
Mute Cable
There is a mute cable that needs to be run to the head unit. This to me appears to be the most difficult and one I'm not going to tackle myself.

The mute cable is problematic; there are schematics for pin layout on 8 cars - but not porsche/becker. So we'll need some of you guys to figure it out (maybe there is an easier way from the nav unit, amp??)

You'll have to pair your phone and BT, but that looks straight forward

Use: In typical dennison cryptic fashion, the front/back page instruction is not very enlightening. It looks like you select "bluetooth handsfree" as a source, then press the >> button (i think) to 'send'. I guess you use the phone keypad to punch in the number like any other BT?
Incoming rings thru the radio and to answer press >> (I think) for audio through the speakers.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

more on the BT. I got the BT working using the audio system and my samsung phone. It rang in the car, i was able to answer and hear the conversation. they were able to hear me (I just ran the mike on the outside of the car temporarily.
i hooked the BT up without the mute wire, and at the moment i don't see why you need it. if the phone rings, you have to push several buttons to get to the right screen and there was no music. I'll have to play with it some more. i know i'm missing something on this part.
Anyway, for those of you wanting to do this, here are a couple screen captures. It took me a while to figure out how to access the BT when i was listening to the iPod -go to CD6 and then menu and then >> (might be off on this since I tried several ways until i finally found it)

Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

Are you saying that the unit does not automatically take you to the "accept or reject call" screen when you receive a call? It would seem to contradict the point of handsfree if you had to navigate a menu to find the accept or reject menu when you get a call.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

i don't remember exactly what popped up on the screen when it rang. i only had a few minutes to fool around with it. i'll know a little more tomorrow when i have more time.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:25 PM
PaulStuart
Track Day

Well, as I said, it must just have been the solstice. I plugged the iPod in and it fired right up today.
Funny thing was that yesterday, the iPod showed the "Dension" logo, and the PCM allowed me to select the iPod GW interface, but then it said no iPod present. But today it worked.

At any rate, the new interface is much better, but not great. You can see that the problem is the available ways to navigate through the PCM and how Dension has to trick the head unit. There are only so many tricks you can pull.

Would I buy one again? Yes, for myself.

Would I recommend one to a friend? Not unless they had a high geek quotient, then yes.

This is really in the aftermarket kludge class. But now there is the BT module, maybe I should........
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Any word on the Bluetooth group buy yet?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:01 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Any word on the Bluetooth group buy yet?
Haven't heard anything about that yet.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
PaulStuart
Track Day

Revision - It just takes time. When I went back out to my car today, it showed "Aux" again as the only option. I was busy doing something else, and notices that after a while, the display changed and the regular iPod menu showed up, along with full functionality. I now believe that the Dension unit is building a lot of data tables from the iPod to work from, and it simply takes a while to do this. My iPod has 12G of music on it, so YMMV.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

More Info on bluetooth unit:
http://www.automobilitydistribution....fo%20Sheet.pdf
What is does and doesn't do!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:18 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

Eric,