Sponsored by:

Cayenne Phone for US users

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 05:51 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Phone for US users

I know I have seen bits and pieces of stuff in other threads in regards to a good phone for the Cayenne, but what is the deal with the Cayenne phone that I have seen in a picture in the center console? Does anyone have a really good handsfree phone install in a US Cayenne with PCM? Thanks in advance....Eric
Old 12-19-2003, 07:07 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

The Porsche European telephone kit, that integrates into the PCM with the fiber optic MOST link, does not work in the USA.

It does not appear possible, without the efforts and assistance from Porsche, to integrate a cellular phone into the PCM. Detailed engineering high speed fiber optic communication information is required, along with a significant engineering effort, to integrate an aftermarket telephone into the PCM.

There are three options, that I have found, for mounting a cellular telephone in the Cayenne.

One is to purchase the Porsche parts that are used to mount the phone in Europe. These are the mobile phone console parts. According to the images and installation text, this has a flat top panel, which is drilled to mount the telephone kit.

Another is to use the Panavise 75132-203 mounting plate, http://www.panavise.com/f/comm/indas...rtn=75132-203. These are aound $30.

The last is to use the Kuda cell phone mount, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=2446421962. These are around $50.

These are all used with the nice car kit, available from the cellular telephone manufacturer, for specific model telephones. These are around $200.

An antenna is required. A square, stick-on, patch antenna is often used. These are stuck on the glass, inside the vehicle, with no antenna mast outside. Porsche has one that fits into the rear spoiler, but it appears to be a 800/1900 MHz antenna, instead of the 850/1900 MHz antenna, that my phone requires.

It may be possible to utilize the Porsche telephone microphone, that integrates nicely into the center roof console, with theaftermarket telephone kit.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric,
First off, welcome home and Happy Holidays.

I opted for the Kuda phone base (in grey, perfect match on the leather and stitching). I have a Nextel cellphone, which has an integrated handsfree speakerphone and it works very well just mounted in the Kuda on the console. I did not mount an external antenna and so far none seems to be required.
I would not recommend attempting to connect to the Porsche cabin microphone overhead; this is wired directly to the amplifier for use with Bose AudioPilot. However, it is possible to do.

As for integrating anything onto the MOST ring, having designed the Bose MOST DSP amplifier in the Porsche vehicles, wingless is correct; it is strictly an OEM engineering effort. I have previously posted regarding plans to offer MOST interface adapters which would allow for interfacing external audio devices onto a MOST network (i.e. iPods, cellphones, etc). However these are still a few years away!
Old 12-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

No one has mentioned a chip handheld phone, to keep the same tel number away from car, as they have in europe.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

If Porsche will ever release the parts for the Carrera GT, you could purchase the C-GT's radio and have what you are looking for. This radio is the Becker Traffic Pro on steroids. It is a 1-DIN unit that is MOST-based (thus will plug into the Cayenne bus) and has the standard features (Nav/AM/FM/2 RDS/CD Changer controls) PLUS an MP3 player AND a tri-band GSM phone (800/900/1900 Mhz). This phone will work in the US and RoW on GSM systems.

I've asked Becker numerous times about their intentions with this radio since they have previously offered the Traffic Pro here in the US. No word as yet. That said, this radio would provide what you are looking for. As for whether the optional handset would integrate into the Cayenne kit mentioned earlier AND with the in-cabin microsoft, Lewis would be a better source for that answer.

Toby
(sick in Dallas!)
Old 12-20-2003, 12:43 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

The C-GT's unit sounds perfect.....I wonder would it would take for PCNA to push for it here if only as an extra priced option?
Old 12-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

My guess is that once the C-GT is released here in the US, you *might* be able to buy it from your dealer. You can buy these off of the european eBay sites for anywhere from $1600-1900. The challenge is getting the nav disks for the US (I think MapTech makes these disks).

TBP

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2004, 10:00 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche Phone Console and PanaVise Mount

The attached images are of the Porsche factory telephone mount and of the PanaVise telephone mount.

The Porsche part number is: 955-552-715-01 and the cost is: $41.19. It wraps around the passenger grab handle. One nice feature is that it includes a channel for covering the wires to the bottom of the center console.

The PanaVise part number is: 450489 and the cost is: $30.00.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default PanaVise Mount Image

PanaVise Mount Image
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

This site: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p55024.htm shows the Porsche part installed in the Cayenne.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres the one I have (used for Ipod) similar to the Porsche one but by Kuda.

Phone Mount

Last edited by mudman2; 02-25-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:08 PM
WCS
Instructor

Becker USA sells a phone mute/mono audio in cable that can be used to integrate handsfree systems with head unit or PCM. There is no need to mess around with MOST ring this time - purely analog.

If you can live with mono audio, you can probabily connect your iPod through this wire.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:50 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by WCS
Becker USA sells a phone mute/mono audio in cable that can be used to integrate handsfree systems with head unit or PCM. There is no need to mess around with MOST ring this time - purely analog.

If you can live with mono audio, you can probabily connect your iPod through this wire.
WCS, that is excellent information. An examination of the rear view photograph, posted by mudman2, corresponds to the information on the Becker web site.

The mudman2 PCM rear view connector photograph: http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennea.../aae.sized.jpg

The Becker manual, with page 28, showing the rear view connectors and pin outs: http://www.beckerautosound.com/om43-4462.pdf

Another Becker pin out diagram, this one shows the mute input pin, but not the telephone input pins: http://www.beckerautosound.com/porscheconn.html

So, it looks like the telephone mute is on Socket A, pin 3, ground to mute. In the mudman2 photograph, that is the large black connector, on the middle right side.

The telephone audio is Socket C3, pin 12 for telephone input AF and pin 13 for telephone input earth. In the mudman2 photograph, that is the blue connector, on the top right.

It sounds like Becker of North America (888) 423-3537 sells an interface cable. Given that both connectors are already in use, my guess is that the cable has pins crimped onto the wire. The pins would then push into unused locations in the existing connector bodies.

Originally posted by mudman2
Heres the one I have (used for Ipod) similar to the Porsche one but by Kuda.

Phone Mount http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennea.../aac.sized.jpg
The differences between the Kuda and the Porsche mounts are that the Kuda is leather covered, while the Porsche is plastic. The Kuda is lower than the Porsche. The Porsche has a covered wire channel, from the mount to the bottom of the center console, the Kuda does not appear to have that feature.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:04 PM
WCS
Instructor

Thanks for the detailed description wingless.

I plan to install a cellphone but opt for a bluetooth connection. That would keep the phone hidden nicely inside the center console or in your pocket. One would need a bluetooth cellphone/charger, a mute cable from Becker, and one of these bluetooth phone kits.

http://www.raytel-llc.com/
http://www.driveblue.com
http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.j...3%26LM%3DPSM_V

This probabily have to wait until I manage to get one of the bluetooth phones without paying the phone company too much.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 PM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use driveblue it doesn't work well. Some company (Parrot) has another product, CK3000, I have that in my 911 Turbo and C Turbo, it works very well.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Phone for US users