Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question brake controller with factory tow package

A question for anyone who has towed with their Cayenne....

Is an external brake controller required or is this function included with the factory tow package (specifically the electronics module that is on the right side of the cargo compartment)?

My local trailer company has never seen a Cayenne before and is unsure how to proceed.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

No, the electronics module does not provide the electrical brake controller function.

There is a four pin connector, that is provided, to connect an electrical brake controller. This connector has: power; ground; the brake switch signal and the blue brake wire, to the seven pin trailer connector.

The plug that mates to this connector is: 1J0.792.702 This plug is used when adding an electric brake controller.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your trailer has electric brakes or don't get controller...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

BTW tell your local trailer co., that you need the Porche hitch (it's short), he can supply a ball to match your trailer. PAG/VW recommends no stabilizer bars (it may be a warranty issue).
Old 01-26-2004, 10:42 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The Reese class III/IV weight carrying ball mount, that I have been using for many years, fits into the Porsche factory hitch, with plenty of room to spare.

This 1" diameter ball shank, ball mount, is not a current model, as listed on the Reese web site, www.reeseprod.com, but dimensionally it is very similar to models 21287 and 21292.

From the information and images on that web site, it appears that there are many options that would fit. From my experience, I would recommend one of the stainless steel models, so that rust and repainting would never be an issue.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

The length of the hitch is important to the amount of tongue weight.

I have a hollow hitch that fits in the receptacle; but is too long 2-3", with a 1 3/4 ball. This is rated at 3500lb. The Porche hitch w/ 2" ball is will tow 7,700 lb and the 616lb (?) tongue weight can be handled by the short hitch (according to the book of VW). The hitch is solid instead of box steel.

You have to decide what you're going to tow.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:41 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed mine last weekend... Did some research and the best one out is the Tekonsha Prodigy.. these guys have the best price...
Ebay add for Tekonsha

It was a simple install.. took 15 minutes.. just connect the wires and your done.. as Wingless mentioned.. I used 3M double sided tape to hold it in place... I towed my Race car to the track this weekend and it did't even feel like I was towing anything.. air susupension really makes for a smooth ride!

Some pics of install..

Old 01-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a little clarification on this. So there is a four pin connector under the dash that is factory supplied with the tow package? That makes the controller install simple enough. What about out back? It was my understanding that a four pin trailer connector is supplied. What provision is ther for the six or seven pin connector needed for an electric braked trailer? If Porsche supplies a connector up front, I would assume that they ran the wires to the back of the truck too. Or is there a second hook-up conceled back there. I don't have my truck yet, just trying to get prepared.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The factory wiring hitch, option 1D6, Trailer Hitch w/o Hitch Ball, for $590. includes the hitch, wiring harness and Trailer Connection Device (electronic light control module). The factory delivers the vehicle with a molded plate, attached to the wiring harness, where the 7-pole socket belongs.

The dealer then removes the molded plate and replaces this with a Pollak 11-893 socket assembly that includes the standard 7-pole socket.

An example of this Pollak socket may be seen at: http://www.pollakaftermarket.com/im...nect/11-893.jpg or at: http://www.statewire.com/pdfs/truck_trailer/f20.pdf
Old 01-27-2004, 11:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wingless,
Thank you for the information. Your first link seems broken, so here are the files I think you were referring to?:

http://www.pollakaftermarket.com/ima...ect/11-893.jpg
http://www.pollakaftermarket.com/images/1094-WC.jpg
http://www.pollakaftermarket.com/images/u.jpg
Old 01-27-2004, 01:30 PM
dawktah
Racer

Are the wires under dash if you didn't get factory hitch? Sorry didn't look.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:18 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Yes, the vehicles built for the U.S. market have the four-pin brake controller connector, under the dash.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Kevin,

Do you know if any of the four harnesses Tekonsha sells (GM, Ford, Dodge and Toyota) will fit the Cayenne plug? Just curious.

Toby
Old 02-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

No I don't believe they do.. but its simple.. just buy those blue clamps that go on the end, one end is flat.. they slide right into the wire harness in the car...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 AM
DVW996
1st Gear

I know that Porsche/VW say you should use their factory ball/arm to tow. I have a camping trailer that weighs about 3500lbs with 380 tongue weight which I have always towed using Reese/Draw-Tite hitch with weight distribution and sway attachments.

Does anyone have experience pulling a camper(8'wide,20'long,8'high) with the factory ball/arm and no weight/sway attachments. Also, has anyone used their aftermarket ball/arm/weight/sway attachments with the factory hitch assembly.

For safety rerasons my trailer folks say not to tow without the weight/sway attachments and quite frankly I could see why when I was towing with Dodge Durango.

Any thoughts, help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: brake controller with factory tow package