Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Are My 15" PD's Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What Are My 15" PD's Worth?

I just installd full polished 16" Pd's on my car. I am thinking of selling my original 15" ones. What are they worth?

I refinished them myself last summer. No curb rash, no center caps - I re-used them. The refinish still looks good, not PERFECT but good. What's the opinions?

P.S. The the hell will it cost to ship these things? I have no boxes and they are bulky.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

without tires you may be able to snag aroound $200 for them. Expect around $100 for shipping
Old 05-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Yikes, $100! Seller will be paying that! Guess it better be a local guy. By the way, they do have tires onthem. Yoko AVS Intermediates.. THe fronts have some life left in them. The rears are just down to the wear limit indicators. I don't suppose the two "good-for-awhile front tires adds much value.

Anyone interested? or I will post in the Claasifieds as soon as I take some pictures. -Dan
Old 05-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah, probably more like $3-400, there's a little more demand for PDs than there is for CCs and CCs usually go for $200-250 on ebay plus they sound like they're in nice shape. I got my CCs (no tires) shipped to me for $50 but they only came from a couple hours away.
Edit (since you posted while I was typing); Give the buyer the option of paying the cost of having the tires removed, that way if they were not going to use them it would reduce the shipping cost and they would have had to pay for removal once they recieved them anyway. Local sale is the best bet.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Mine which need some serious cleaning are on ebay for $52 for 2. They have tires but there isn't much tread and the wheels are chrome and nobody wants them. I bought a set of (4) 15's with Pirellis for $200 shipped....I completely destroyed those tires.

I just really want to get rid of those wheels because I have no use for them, I had a set of 4 but one I bent and the other is my spare.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm?...so I am hearing "give away" prices on one hand and maybe $300-400 on the other.

I am thinking of only posting them for sale here on Rennlist asI'd rather they went to a "Lister and because I don't have any experience with Ebay.

Agree local would be best. Maybe I should post a new thread just for SoCal or at least Western guys. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:46 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

It depends on the condition, of course. But I've been spying eBay for the few months trying to figure out how much PDs are worth -- I've rarely seen anyone pay over $100 for a set of 4 15" PDs there. I'd say $150 if you're lucky.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

OK, Dan - you cover the west coast. I'll take the Great Lakes region.

Seriously, I have three late offset 15" PDs that I want to sell. For some reason these were on my car when I bought it. PO must have damaged the originals and didn't know any better.

All three are in good condition (not concours) and will not have center caps. One is available with a tire (or without - buyer option). Tire is a Kelly Springfield "Sport something" of 215/60-15. Still has 80-90% tread life.

Will accept the first reasonable offer. Will even consider unreasonable offers...

I'll take pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 05-13-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Okay Scott - you take the Great Lakes Region!

How'd you end up with THREE rims??? I don't think there is a big call for three. For what it's worth, Devia (she's a WestCoaster) is trying to sell one PD both here and on the 911 board. Don't know offhand if it is compatible with what you have but there's a set for someone!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

944-spec guys like phone dials!

Plenty of spec guys in so cal. Late offset cars can only use phone dials so they might be willing to take them off you hands. Only downside is they don't need pretty wheels.

http://nasaforums.com is good place to contact the spec guys.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Dan,

Is 87 the 52.3 offset, or did that start in 88? If they are late offset, I'm interested in them. I need a second set. My car just showed up yesterday and let's just say this is gonna be one HECK of a big project!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena

How'd you end up with THREE rims??? I don't think there is a big call for three. For what it's worth, Devia (she's a WestCoaster) is trying to sell one PD both here and on the 911 board. Don't know offhand if it is compatible with what you have but there's a set for someone!
That is a good question. I get a laugh out of it everytime I think of it. I bought the car, for a song, from a lady I used to work with. She had a 911 and a 944 (part of the divorce settlement, I have always assumed). I bought the 944. Because I could. The 911 was going at a very reasonable price as well, but out of my league.

Any way, to make a long story longer... I drove the car home and then really started looking closely at everything. I noticed that there was something funny about the wheels. Only one of them looked right. It turns out the other three were what I call, "front wheel drive" offset (later I learned this was to accomodate the ABS hardware - that my early car did not have as an available option). All I can figure is that somewhere along the way wheels were either damaged or stolen and the wrong offset wheels were the replacements.

Now the funny part. After I had had the car for a few weeks, the lady I bought it from asks me, "why did the car accelerate so slowly?" I had to hold back my laughter as I told her about the fact that the front tires were rubbing against the struts.

The offset is so signifcantly different between the early and late models it is ridiculous. I bought some spacers to keep the tires from rubbing. I did find an early offset wheel, close to home at a salvage yard, but could not complete the set until this year. The last two wheels came from Aribop.

Anyway, that's why I have 3. Maybe someone out there needs a couple of spares for a track car. I know for all my race and rally cars, I consider a full set to be 6 wheels and tires. If "Herbie" were a race car, I'd need two more of the early wheels.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Dave
Race Car

'87 is late offset, same as '88.
Oops, I forgot that you mentioned the wheels are late offset, I don't know if the value is the same. Early offset PDs have a market because the younger crowd likes to replace their CCs "more modern looking" and the PD is the only non-dished, silver, factory wheel that was made with the early offset. this causes them to go for more than the CCs. Since the PD was the standard wheel on the late offset cars, I guess the same people are removing them from their '87> cars and there is less demand from them.
I'm not saying they can't be worth more than $200, but I'll withdraw my previous suggestion since I really don't know the market for the later wheels as well as the early ones. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:00 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan,
Drop by the nasa forums page and try to sell them to spec racer I bet you can find one or two folks interested.

I can cross post for you if you want.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

M758
Hate to be a ditz but what are "nasa forums"? If you would cross post to this site it's fine with me. I don't have a price estalbished per se, but I'll listen to offers. I'm not looking to get max dollars, just to offset what I paid for the 16" PD's - Dan

Quick Reply: What Are My 15" PD's Worth?