Towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Towing questions

I am in the process of getting all the necessary items to set the Cayenne up to tow my car to an event in a few weeks and have a couple questions.

I know there are a couple posts out there regarding this matter so if I'm being a little redundant please forgive me.

I saw Kevin's pictures about installing the brake controller, is it really as simple as it seems? I have one ordered and would like to do it myself.

I will be hauling my 95 GTS that weighs approximately 3600 pounds in a trailer that weighs approximately 3500 pounds. I know the max towing for the Cayenne is 7700 pounds, am I too close to the limit? What should I be concerned about towing that much weight behind the Cayenne (BTW, I do not have air suspension).

Any experiences/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

The big thing to watch is the tongue weight. Make sure you do not exceed the 600+ lb tongue weight. I forget the exact value.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think its 660 pounds max.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fitting the brake controller is not really a problem the harness is under the dash. But the instructions that come with the prodigy are wrong.

You will need to hook into the footbrake switch. For full details call their tech support line ans they will guide you.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:46 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Please post the updated wiring information onto this forum.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:48 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done the wiring yet but I believe this pdf has the best information I have seen on wiring the Tekonsha Prodigy to a Cayenne or Touareg. I would like to see better first hand information though; maybe some photos or info on locating the brake switch wire.

I should be installing this weekend so maybe I can post more direct info after that.

Prodigy Wiring pdf
Old 06-18-2004, 01:21 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Installing the brake controller is very easy. I used wingless' suggestion and ordered the VW/Audi plug adapter & wires (thanks wingless!). Install time was about 5 min total.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:08 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Are you not getting erratic readings on the Prodigy with that wiring setup?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

Did anyone happen to read the Tech Q&A from the recent Pano?

There was a question regarding towing with a Cayenne and in the response, it stated do NOT use a trailer with LED lights, otherwise the Cayenne's electronic towing control module will NOT recognize the lights as being present/working!

Of course, my trailer is all LED lighting! Looks like my wife's Excursion stays as the full time Porsche Tow/Support vehicle.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ltc
Did anyone happen to read the Tech Q&A from the recent Pano?

There was a question regarding towing with a Cayenne and in the response, it stated do NOT use a trailer with LED lights, otherwise the Cayenne's electronic towing control module will NOT recognize the lights as being present/working!

Of course, my trailer is all LED lighting! Looks like my wife's Excursion stays as the full time Porsche Tow/Support vehicle.
Check to see if the lights are in fact working.

I have surge brakes & get the "do not recognize" but the lights are working.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:42 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Just got the wiring kit too- now I just need the vehicle! Pesky- are you using the Prodigy? If so I thought you had to wire to the brake switch, not the harness????
Old 06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally posted by skl
Just got the wiring kit too- now I just need the vehicle! Pesky- are you using the Prodigy? If so I thought you had to wire to the brake switch, not the harness????
I didn't go with the prodigy. I went with an simple analog unit from DrawTite, and it works just fine off the factory harness.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck, You are closer to the max than I would personally go. You would be under 10% tongue wieght if you kept it to 660lbs. Without the air suspension you lack the load leveling that would probably allow you to get away with it. At 3500lbs, I assume that this is an enclosed trailer, how long is it? Something like a 24' enclosed, and a little light on the tongue may prove to be a handful. Adding more tongue wieght without the load leveling takes pressure off of the front tires. This definately leads to the "tail wagging the dog". I guess I would want to hear first hand how it works before I tried it. Certainly not the ideal tow rig for that much trailer.

BUT.......my S with air susp handled my 4500lb boat like it wasn't even there, so maybe it would work out.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the reasons you mention, I'm leaning toward an open trailer and much less weight.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, buying a different trailer is certainly cheaper than buying a dfifferent tow vehicle I would think that an open aluminum trailer would come in closer to 1500lbs, bringing your total to about 5100. From my experience, this is a very do-able tow for the Cayenne S.

Just my .02 , I have been hauling my various cars on open trailers for years. Sure an enclosed would be nice but, I have never had any damage or other problems towing open. Something with a toolbox and tire rack up front is going to delfect debris anyway.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Towing questions