Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on attempted tranny rebuild w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on attempted tranny rebuild w/ pics

So I got the tranny out and then opened it up an started working our way through dismantling it. Got a pretty fair amount of the way through when we ran into some issues. Half of the gears require a pretty good size press to pull them off.

Determined that the pinion shaft roller bearings were the issue because someone didn't set the correct preload on them. It appeared that the tranny had already been opened up at one point in its life, so my guess is that they changed something and didn't bother to adjust the shimming for the preload at all. A few of the syncros were worn, nothing too drastic but they are still going to be replaced.

Because of the lack of a press and a couple other tools, we decided to go ahead and take it in to a shop and have them complete the job as we were in a bit over our heads on this one. Was quoted $595 labor (7 hours at $85/hr) plus parts which should come out to around $400 or so. So a more or less new tranny for $1000, and the clutch will be getting done, so the car will be like new for about $1500 or so and should be done in time for my roadtrip/move back to Cleveland.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:06 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:07 PM
rihaa
Racer

So here are a few of the pictures of the aftermath of pullin the tranny off the car in the first place.

The extent of the mess it left on me.

The space where the tranny used to be.

Parts laid out on the garage floor. The lack of a muffler on the car right now is very enticing

The tranny case AFTER going to the self serve car wash and spraying the hell out of it. It took a further full can of degreaser and the hose at home after this.

Last edited by rihaa; 07-14-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:24 PM
rihaa
Racer

Apparently I can't figure out how to get them to load as an actual image, go ahead and let me know what i should do instead of linking. I am clicking the IMG button, but it is still showing as a hyperlink.

Anyways here is the aftermath of some of the teardown. Didn't really get much during the actual process of tearing down.

Pictures of the pinion shaft. The rollerbearing on the right seems to be very poorly aligned as only the top 15% of the rollers are actually shiny (shows that they are actually contacting the outer bearing where they should)

More of a closeup of the bearing. Sort of blurry but you should be able to see the wear pattern.

The outer bearing for it. Reverse gear on the left.

Outer bearing for the tapered one on the front of the pinion shaft. Wear looks nice and eve, rollers are pretty shiny, shouldn't be a problem, but you replace those bearings in pairs.

Pictures of how much of the mainshaft we got disassembled.

Last edited by rihaa; 07-14-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are a brave man.....
Old 07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

rihaa, if you edit each post with pics and put [IMG] in front of the link, and [/IM G] at the end of the link, the pic will appear in the post.

Note- do not space the end tag as I did, If I did not put the space in the IMG in square brackets, the text would be seen as an image.

What an undertaking, indeed brave.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
rihaa
Racer

Tried that, when editing the post the [IMG] and [/I MG] tags are there. Not sure why they are only showing up as links.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think it works right because they are links to jsp pages, not actual jpg files. You could take the .jpg files and upload them to the rennlist upload site and then link to them there.
Or just do this: I'm not sure if ofoto will let you leech pics.

Pictures of the pinion shaft. The rollerbearing on the right seems to be very poorly aligned as only the top 15% of the rollers are actually shiny (shows that they are actually contacting the outer bearing where they should)

More of a closeup of the bearing. Sort of blurry but you should be able to see the wear pattern.

The outer bearing for it. Reverse gear on the left.

Outer bearing for the tapered one on the front of the pinion shaft. Wear looks nice and eve, rollers are pretty shiny, shouldn't be a problem, but you replace those bearings in pairs.

Pictures of how much of the mainshaft we got disassembled.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

you're doing great!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:07 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey man, If you get it together and it works let me know, I have smoked 3 trannies in my NA and a $900 ring and pinion set from POWERHOUSE, stupid NA trannies
Old 07-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't the weakness of the n/a transmissions the smaller number of teeth on the pinion gear which would tend to cause busted teeth on it?

Quick Reply: Update on attempted tranny rebuild w/ pics