Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Skidplate Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 01:10 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts
Question Stainless Steel Skidplate Install

Just wondering if anyone out there installed there SS Skidplate themselves. I called to get a price on one (part #95504480015) for the S and got a few different prices and was told by one place that it was a Dealership Installed item! Anyone do a DIY on this?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We have had the plate but we didn't do the installation.
The installation looks pretty straightforward .

This is the top side of the skid plate that shows the front and rear attachments:
Old 07-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

I did the install on mine. It's pretty straightforward. You will need to loosen the interior fenderwell covers at the front-inside of the fenderwell. Once done, you have access to the bolt on either corner of the lower fascia (it's the black plastic piece that you see underneath the bumper). The lower fascia will pop out once you have both bolts removed. Remove it carefully. You will also need to disconnect the fog lights from the wiring harness. Once you have the lower fascia removed, you can actually see the proposed mounting holes scribed on the inside of the fascia. These holes match pretty closely to the mounting posts you will see on the skid plate. Take some care about aligning them and as you achieve alignment, you can literally "push" the posts through the fascia. Use the retention washers to secure the post tightly and move on around the perimeter until all are done. Reverse the removal process and you are done! It took me about 30 minutes to actually do the work, but about one hour to figure out where things were secured (especially the fascia to the bumper). I bought my piece here in Dallas at Boardwalk Porsche. I think I paid $485 less my $100 PCNA coupon, so total out of pocket was about $420 or so. Be aware that there is also another plastic piece include in the kit that can be attached at the rear of the stainless piece. I "discovered" this after I was done putting things back together. I think it's really more filler than anything else so I did not go back and attempt to install it.

I like the look that the skid plate brings. I grant you that it will afford little in the way of serious under-carriage protection. But it DOES look nice!

Good luck if you buy it. This is something that most of us should be able to accomplish as long as you have some mechanical sense about you.

Now, if only I could find those Bi-Xenon lights........
Old 07-20-2003, 12:54 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Toby......Thanks alot! That's what I wanted to hear. It just didn't look like it would be a job that had to be 'done' by a Dealer. Dallas is our closest P dealership and I bought my S (crystal silver) from Park Place, they gave me a little better deal than Boardwalk.
BTW, the BiXenons are pretty amazing!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:36 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Sorry Gert.....Thank You too!

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Skidplate Install