Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

007 soon to be driving a Cayenne TT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 03:47 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 007 soon to be driving a Cayenne TT!

At least in a video game…

Yesterday, I had the privilege to record the soundtrack for “Electronic Arts” new video game “007, Everything or Nothing” due on the shelves in November.

For 2 ½ hours the post production sound company “Danetracks, Inc.”, wired microphones to the tailpipe, engine compartment and turbos of my TT at Agua Dulce Airpark in the high desert north of L.A.. Then, I drove it down to the end of the runway for my first of probably two dozen 0 to 120 MPH runs. What a rush! The car handled unbelievably. Straight, smooth, neck snapping acceleration followed by perfectly linear tracking, on-a-dime stops. (Except for my 3rd run when I nearly went through the fence at the end of the runway… driver error!)

To mimic the various sounds that the car goes through in the game, we did have the opportunity to try many of the various driving options on the vehicle that I thought might be of interest as well as some general observations:

• 120mph – barely into 5th gear
• Tiptronic - won’t let you go over redline - even in manual
• Tiptronic - wouldn’t downshift until you slowed down to between 3-4000 rpm depending on which gear you were in. (obvious I know, but one would think that once you reached the correct speed it would shift, instead you have to keep clicking the tip!)
• PSM on or off, no change. (We were trying to get a little noise out of the tires… nothing, not even a peep!)
• Low range – scaaarry! Once the turbos kicked in, I thought the front wheels came off the ground. They didn’t, but we only tried that once! ~55 mph redline in 6th gear. Still not a peep from the tires.
• Headlights came on and stayed on. (I’m sure the manual address this, but I thought they went out once your speed slowed)
• Brakes – 1st run was a little worrisome. They made a weird noise and shuttered a bit. After that, they were flawless. (Except for the occasional, slow stop squeak…)
• My “Air Suspension Faulty – Workshop” light came on and off. It now stays on which is good, now maybe Porsche service can fix it this time (see earlier posts).

All in all it was a unique experience. (Sorry for the length)
Old 09-06-2003, 11:54 AM
dawktah
Racer

Now that's the Inside track!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats very cool!! Should we look for your name in the credits of the game Cool experience!
Old 09-06-2003, 02:43 PM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

I doubt I'll be mentioned, but it was really a kick!

By the way, has anybody ever heard a Cayenne go by at 100mph+? Incredible sound, nothing like you would expect. There was no throatiness or engine sounds, only a distinct high powered rush of air from the exhaust…
Old 09-07-2003, 09:56 AM
JeffES
Pro

Yeaowzer (is that's how it's spelled)....
Yes - there was a "moment" at Barber Motorsports where they ran a TT right by us (about 2 feet away - on the other side of the low wall) at full song - what a rush!
Great post!
J
Old 09-17-2003, 02:33 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Damn, that's very cool. Glad you included the pics, helped visualize the situaion. They're very different in person. Just saw a Turbo on the streets in Munich a few weeks ago ... very nice.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:44 PM
dbelleperc
Racer

Tell me you took some Video's, PLEASE.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Originally posted by dbelleperc
Tell me you took some Video's, PLEASE.
I did, but haven't figured out how to post video. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:36 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

best way is to post it on another website and post the link. I can do that if you want to send it to me. Email me if you want to.

Quick Reply: 007 soon to be driving a Cayenne TT!