Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:49 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting information on the 959 in the US

This letter appeared on another forum and is copyrighted, but I believe it's ok to reprint as long as it's done in it's entirety, according to the author's statement at the end. Very interesting information on the 959 and US certification to those of us who follow this stuff. The "I" in the first paragraph refers to the author, not me, and the decision to "post here" references the author's posting on another Forum.

I have decided to post here because of the volume of mis-information that has recently been printed in Excellence and Autoweek concerning the 959 and Mr. Canepa. Mr. Canepa had nothing to do with Show and Display. I asked Mr. Gate's contact person why they didn't use Mr. Canepa and was told tha tunder no circumstances would they use Mr. Canepa. Also, my letter to Excellence has somehow been released to third parties so I have decided to go public with what I know.
Having been retained by Mr. Gates to legalize his 959 and having consulted on the Show and Display law as well as having written the original "proof" package on the 959 and imported the first street legal 959 for Mr. John Dixon as well importing the first BMW Z1 I am dismayed to see Mr. Canepa receiving credit for things he has not done. Here is my response to the Excellence article. Intially Mr. Stout, the editor or Excellence, agreed to print it then reneged.

July 17, 2003

Editor
Excellence Magazine
PO Box 1529
Ross, CA 94957

To the Editor:

As the person who wrote the original research paper convincing the DOT to import the Porsche 959 under Show and Display (S&D) and having subsequently imported the first street legal 959 for Mr. John Dixon, I wish to correct several errors and add commentary to your September article on Mr. Canepa, “his” 959s, and the history of the 959.

The headline on the cover of the September issue is not correct. Information obtained under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) on all S&D cars imported as of 12/02 shows four 959s which were approved by DOT in 2001/2002 and certified by G&K, an EPA approved ICI in Santa Ana, CA. Three of the cars went to owners in CA and the fourth is a car in Seattle which I was involved with. So Mr. Canepa does not appear to have “certified” the first 50-state approved car. The S&D list also show three Porsche 959s which were certified by Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories NCDL) and are not on the list of 959s referenced in the Excellence article. It is interesting to note that Mr. Canepa and his company, Canepa Design, are not an EPA approved certification facility (ICI); hence, Mr. Canepa cannot certify a Porsche 959 or any vehicle. While the car in the Excellence article, Mr. Chandler’s 030, carries the sticker of the ICI, NCDL, and contracts exist between Mr. Canepa and NCDL for some type of conversion work (contracts obtained under FOIA), certification including the actual conversion work has never been formally approved by EPA although EPA has continued to look the other way when such subcontracting has occurred. I have the original list of all those who were to purchase the 959 Sport (US) models. There were in fact 30, not 29. Mr. Canepa ordered one of the original 30 (#905023). This information is from Porsche AG. I have represented the owner of 905001 which is for sale. There were in fact 284 959s originally built including the Sport models. In the early 1990s eight more were built, the last one being a red car registered to Michael Schumacher, current F1 World Champion, by his manager Willie Weber. Mr. Schumacher changed the color to silver and the car was sold in the late 1990s.

On page 65 of the Excellence article the author states that “… it (959) needs the catalyst setup Porsche didn’t bother to develop for it’ 250-ish run of 959s in the late eighties. The problem is that the stock Motronic engine management system is not set up to recognize the oxygen sensors required to make catalysts work.” This is not correct. I refer you to sheet five of the electrical diagram of the Porsche 959 Service Manual which clearly shows the wiring for one oxygen sensor. The definitive history on the 959, Jurgen Lewandowski’s “Porsche 959”, refers to the catalytic converter option (P. 115) and also lists the 959, internally known as F12SP, on page 159 that was used to develop a catalytic converter for the 959. The aforementioned Seattle 959 has Porsche catalyst systems which, at approximately $15,000.00 USD complete and installed, is far less than the amount it appears Mr. Canepa is charging. But don’t try calling Porsche to order one.

As to the stock Motronic engine management system not recognizing the oxygen sensor, it is only a matter of reprogramming the EPROM. The circuitry exists within the Motronic unit and is activated by the reprogramming.

In addition, I would like to make the following comments. The Bridgestone tires originally fitted to the 959 are readily available to a 959 owner direct and the cost is approximately that of the Michelins which Mr. Canepa is using as replacements. I am at a loss to explain why anyone would want or need to change this well designed system. Modifying the wheels as outlined in the article raises the question of whether such modifications are safe and in compliance with DOT regulations. The cam box seals are mentioned and it should be noted that the cam boxes themselves were prone to leakage and cracking. For a time, the cam boxes were unavailable from the subcontractor to Porsche but the part can now be ordered from Porsche.

It always amazes me how horsepower figures are given instant acceptance when in fact there is little or no hard data supplied to support hp claims. Many of the 959s were fitted with the “power option” upgrade which includes some plumbing upgrades but essentially involves spooling the twin turbos together rather than sequentially as originally built. The Motronic system is modified as well. True HP as determine under Porsche test environment guidelines is approximately 515.

From reading the article, one might assume that the cars whose serial numbers are listed on page 68 belong to Mr. Canepa. According to the S&D list, all the cars were imported by individuals who are successful businessmen. Only VIN 900233 is listed as belonging to Mr. Canepa. S&D was designed to severely limit the ability of car brokers to import cars using this regulation. If a car was brought in under S&D, application must be made to DOT before the car is sold. Also, any car coming into the US under the S&D program must have an application made BEFORE the car is entered into the US. Converted race cars such as David Morse’s 905023, have been denied because they were originally entered as race vehicles. Mind you, there are at least 10 959s which I opine are illegally in the US. Please note that the car listed in the article bearing VIN WP0ZZZ95ZHS900225 is in fact WP0ZZZ95ZJS900225.

Credit for legalizing the Porsche 959 for use on US roads should go to those who truly worked to make it happen. To Mr. Gates for creating S&D and Mr. Dixon for trusting me to bring in his car, the first street legal 959.

Bryan Milazzo

Permission to publish my email address and phone number is not granted.
I wish to see this letter printed in its entirety. If you are not willing to do this, I would request that you forward to me the changes you which to make so I may approve them.
This letter is copyrighted by me, Bryan Milazzo.
end quote
The "me" refers to Mr. Milazzo, not ME!
Old 09-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Don,

That is very interesting, Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In the new Excellence was Expected bookset, volume 3, page 1032, a total of 337 959s were produced.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Don,
I am surprised that Excellence got it so wrong according to this letter. Do you know the Excellence position now?
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Autoweek this week has a similar article on Bruce Canepa
Old 09-16-2003, 06:36 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I don't know enough about this situation to make a comment either way. Just interested in the story.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:01 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i have seen John Dixons 959, and he is friends with my best friends dad. i wonder what he thinks of this whole thing.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

This I received from Bryan this morning,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

September 2, 2003

Mr. Tom Toldrian, Publisher
Ross Periodicals
42 Digital Dr. #5
Novato, CA 94949-5762

Dear Mr. Toldrian:

This letter is in response to the two articles on the Porsche 959 as published in the September 2003 issue of Excellence Magazine, which you publish. I have spoken on several occasions to the editor or Excellence, Peter Stout and sent Mr. Stout a two page letter (copy enclosed) responding to the misinformation, half-truths, and outright mistakes that were evident in the article. Initially Mr. Stout assured me that my entire letter would be published as he had no problem with the content and in fact agreed with what I had written. I had attached a caveat that the letter must be published in it’s entirely without editing, or if the letter was edited, I would have final say on its content. Mr. Stout had no problem meeting these requirements.

Subsequent to my initial contact with Mr. Stout I attempted to reach him on several occasions to ascertain when my letter would be published. He finally returned my calls and informed me that my letter would not be published offering what I have concluded is gibberish as an excuse for not publishing my letter. A reference was made to the letter taking up three column spaces but this was not a problem initially. My gut tells me that since I am not an advertiser in Excellence this was possibly the reason for not publishing my letter. But I am also left with a feeling that not publishing my letter has more to do with politics and Mr. Stout’s integration with certain collectors associated with persons such as Mr. Canepa. That’s my opinion.

I don’t subscribe to Excellence or any of the other Ross publications although I own or have owned exotic, rare, or collector cars including a 959, a Z1, Ferraris, etc. As the article in Excellence reminded me, the media can’t be trusted to do the research and report the truth. The articles on the 959 in Excellence did much more than play with words or bend the truth – it deceived the reader and were based on incomplete or inaccurate information and lacked the most rudimentary of research. Had Mr. Stout contacted the US Department of Transportation, Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance as well as the EPA he would have found much if not all of the information I presented in my letter and therefore have saved your readers as well as 959 owners the burden of misinformation. Since many of the cars in Mr. Canepa’s possession (not all the cars are, I opine, properly entered into the US, but that would make for a very long letter) are legally in the US under the Show or Display (S&D) law and the conversion work that Mr. Canepa is performing is directly related to the S&D program, it would have been a no brainer for Mr. Stout to contact both DOT and EPA. In addition, an Internet search of S&D would have turned up the January 2001 article in AutoWeek which explained S&D.

The failure of Excellence to publish the truth exemplifies the sensationalistic type of journalism I would expect to find in the National Enquirer, not a magazine such as Excellence. The lack of truth because of inadequate research further continues the myth of certain individuals who are legends in their own minds. And not publishing my letter tells me that Mr. Stout, Excellence Magazine, and you, the publisher, are certainly not worthy of my money for a subscription nor any additional information or contacts I have with Porsche.

Sincerely,
Bryan Milazzo
Old 09-18-2003, 05:57 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I wish that Excellence would offer their point of view as well to make things even and fair,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-18-2003, 12:35 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I feel fooled after having bought and read that article only to find out that it was mostly BS.. I'm glad to be on Rennlist so that I don't walk around like a fool.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 596 Posts

This response comes so many years later due to another post here on rennlist regarding Canepa Design which eventually gained a link to this thread, dredging this matter up once again.

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Regarding the Excellence issue and the specific article in question, do you stand by the facts as they were asserted at that time?

Yes.

Mr. Milazzo's primary complaints seem to relate to two lines and then four lines in the body of a six-page article, followed by a four-page followup. In the first passage, the article states that Canepa Design "certified the first 50-state legal 959 we know of." The words "certified" and "first" seem to frustrate Mr. Milazzo. 1). "First" was connected to "50-state legal 959" and followed by "we know of." I see no issue with accuracy here. Mr. Dixon's car was approved for use in Ohio/49 states. Canepa Design's CARB approval — a secondary/higher hurdle — was, to my knowledge, a first. 2.) On the other hand, I see use of the term "certified" as fair to question, if a minor point. Yes, this might have been described more accurately, but the intent was to convey that Canepa Design handled the PROCESS for its customers. (i.e. I knew it had to work with companies and other entities to complete the certification of the cars as well as its work to meet EPA/CARB standards. To this day, I still see 959s on the road undergoing emissions-certification work in Napa). One must ask: Is this a mountain or a molehill?

The second passage states that "The problem is that the stock Motronic engine management system is not set up to recognize the oxygen sensors required to make catalysts work." 1.) There is nothing inaccurate about this statement. 2.) There is more information (which Mr. Milazzo refers to) regarding Porsche's development work on a catalyst system for the 959, but "the 959" (as that phrase relates to nearly all cars produced), in stock form, is not set up to use catalysts. 3.) There have been 959s that have gained EPA approval using the Motronic engine management, though not in stock form — as Mr. Milazzo points out himself. (My research prompts me to ask a salient question: How do they run in terms of driveability and performance when they are able to pass? And: Once they pass, are these cars then changed back to stock, illegally?) The article goes on to say "Many have tried to get the stock ECU to recognize [catalysts], but Canepa decided to start over with Motec engine management — a highly advanced and well-liked system among racers and rodders alike. The result, along with a number of other improvements, is a claimed 600 horsepower and full approval from the California Air Resources Board." Perhaps "recognize" could have been "work with," though this is, again, splitting hairs in my opinion. The intent of the paragraph was to explain Canepa Design's decision to go with Motec as opposed to the stock Motronic system, which was not set up to recognize or work with catalysts.

If anything deserves criticism, it is the cover headline, which states "The 959 is Finally U.S.-LEGAL*". But even this has the asterisks explained just below the car: "*With 600 hp and 50-state Approval". Remember, too, that it's a headline (which is always a challenge due to the K.I.S.S. principle), written to prompt people to pick up the magazine and read the whole story.

As to the rest of Mr. Milazzo's claims and assertions, I respect his right to his opinions and beliefs. Several points are valid and interesting. As to 959 build numbers, they have been a source of intrigue for many years, and Excellence has updated them as it has learned more. I now believe the number to be higher than 284, and as high as 329. The use of modern Michelin tires (and modification to the original wheels to do so) is fair to question, as well, especially in light of the 959's status as a collector car. That said, many collectors choose to use superior, and easily replaced, tires on their cars.

I do not, however, agree with the representations of our telephone conversations. To characterize my response as "gibberish" is troubling. I think few who have dealt with me would call my verbal communication inaccurate or "gibberish." I also feel few Excellence readers would characterize the magazine as "sensationalistic." If anything, the magazine is known for its conservative voice, which is willing to criticize as well as praise — especially when it comes to the efforts of commercial enterprises.

As I did then, I maintain that the letter was never "leaked" or otherwise distributed by Excellence or me to another party, Canepa Design included. If other parties gained access to it, it was more surprising to us than Mr. Milazzo. His accusation certainly caught me off guard, and caused me to wonder who and what, exactly, was involved. As to the turning point in my interaction with Mr. Milazzo, what I understood I would get (verbally) and what I got (in writing) did not seem to be the same. Initially, I still planned on running the letter, though edits would have been necessary. Upon further reflection, I had reservations. While I recall saying that length (within reason) would not be an issue if important information would be shared with readers, I would not have waived my right to edit the letter for content. Perhaps that explains the highly unusual requirement for review of any changes and explicit copyright on a letter to the editor. We have always been clear about reserving the right to edit letters to the editor. In each issue, the section begins with "We welcome comments, criticism, and suggestions at Excellence. We'll publish as many letters as we can, but reserve the right to edit letters for length and content." This letter's content and demands gave both the publisher and me concerns, especially in light of my telephone conversations with its author, which caused us to wonder if this was a disinterested party who merely wanted to help readers see a truer, fuller, more accurate story.

I also have reason to believe that not everything is entirely accurate in the first AutoWeek article on Show and Display, which I read with interest and fascination (and full belief) when it came out. So I was well aware of its existence when I wrote my story, and I found it easily enough after Googling "Bryan Milazzo." See http://www.gulf-coast-imports.com/au...how_and_go.htm

More than six years after the issue in question was published, an issue that openly questioned the total cost involved with a Canepa Design-modified 959, I have seen more "Canepa 959s" on the road and at Porsche events than any other 959s certified for use in the U.S. What's more, I have not heard any complaints about the quality of the work. In fact, just the opposite is true, with one collector telling me that, if his whole collection had to go, his Canepa-modified 959 would be the last car to leave. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if not every conversion went smoothly in the eyes of the buyer. No matter what you do, you won't please everyone — and there are always two sides to every story. As always, I am open to hearing other views.

Again, I respect Mr. Milazzo's right to his opinion and beliefs. As I did then, I have no desire to enter into a further debate with him — nor do I wish him any ill.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 AM
violin959
Cruisin'

Default Truth be told

Execmag, whoever he is, still has it wrong.
I can assure you that 959 owners I have dealt with found a mountain of confusion concerning what Canepa calls his conversions. Please call CARB and ask them for Canepa's CARB approval. If you find it, please send it to me.

I have many fine friends who live in CA. And I'm sure they will excuse me for stating that CA isn't center of the US. The inference with the article(s) in Excellence concerning the issue of who spent what and who did what to legalize the Porsche 959 overstated and continues to overstate (IMHO) Canepa's involvement. For the majority of us who live elsewhere int he US the 959 is now EPA exempt under the 21 year rule so no emissions modifications are necessary.

As to Execmag's statement concerning the Motoronic engine management system and catalysts I offer you this: When I was working to certify a 959 shipped back to Porsche I was given a price to install cats. Helmut Bott's car was a test mule for the 959 and catalysts. The point is that the 959 engine design incorporated the possible use of cats as opposed to not ever using cats.

As to the drivability issue as Execmag asked any of the owners of the Canepa converted cars how there are fairing in terms of drivability and service? I have. In fact, several owners have contacted me concerning drivability issues on "conversions". A properly converted 959 using the base Motonic system is far better.

Ah, the 959 tires. Where is Canepa Design's DOT testing and approval data for their wheel modifications?
It doesn't exist. Would you drive ANY car at speed on untested and potentially dangerous wheel/tire combinations? Bridgestone will continued to produce the RE71 tires. In fact, a 959 owner can order RE71's from Tire Rack.

My interactions with Execmag (is that you Peter?) are exactly as I described them. As so often is the case, business matters first in finding the truth. Excellence Magazine and its owners are first and foremost beholding to their advertisers. It is far easier to dish me than to p**s them off. Money talks, truth walks, IMHO.

Execmag refers without offering support to everything not being accurate in the Autoweek article. Just what are you trying to say Execmag? I was initially reluctant to have much to do with the article but I must admit is it one of the most well researched and accurate articles ever written about any such an event.

In deference to 959 owners I will not address further both the cost of the Canepa conversion or complaints. It is my opinion that this story is far from over.

Business matters with most 959 owners. I opine that replacing the engine management system, modifying wheels, installing different headlights, replacing carpet with non-original carpet, replacing the stock ride height system, and other modifications greatly reduce the value fo the POrsche 959, a truly remarkable car. Maybe these are modifications one would do to a VW or Honda. Probably would imporve the the value of those cars. But would you pay $600,000.00 to make a car worth less than $190,000.00?

Here is what Canepa converted cars are (not?) selling for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...=p4506.c0.m245

Same car: http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/09JDC273116247.html

Last edited by violin959; 10-28-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Interesting information on the 959 in the US