Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pep Boy's Next Goldmine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:07 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pep Boy's Next Goldmine...

...the Rear Mount Turbocharger!

Just hose clamp this bad boy to one of your dual exhaust pipes, and use the other to send compressed intake gasses back up to the engine compartment!

It may seem like a joke, but its a pretty unique idea. MANY peformance related concerns of course.

With that much intake plumbing volume, you could run an impact gun off your blowoff valve.

Here's some more pictures and a link to the dyno chart...

http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/s/c/scribe7/dyno4.9psi.jpg

BTW, this is NOT my car. I saw this on a thread at VW Vortex.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm, where do I start....
Old 10-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DanG - on your site you show that Fiero and it says it has a northstar conversion. I was under the impression you had to widen the chassis to accept the northstar V8. Further is has little wheels and tires, how to you get the power down? Is that an early picture or are you pulling legs?
Old 10-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of car is that?
Old 10-13-2003, 06:46 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

WTF?

did they have no other place to put it? That must be the most possible plumbing between the turbo and the intake / exhaust, that can't possibly be efficent.....

But interesting none the less...

I have no idea what kind of car that is either, something with a solid axle...... so the choices are limited
Old 10-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

And the transmission is in the front, kinda silly.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Shawn944
Intermediate

What about all the crap the tire throws into the air filter ?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

camaro? how about plumbing those oil lines..eek!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I would be worried about water puddles!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Shawn944
What about all the crap the tire throws into the air filter ?
I didn't even notice that was the intake. The bodies of most cars are designed to have low air pressure below the car. Most cars have a low pressure area directly behind them as well (it causes the drag on the car).
So wouldn't the lower rear be a really bad spot for an intake?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:13 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on your site you show that Fiero and it says it has a northstar conversion. I was under the impression you had to widen the chassis to accept the northstar V8. Further is has little wheels and tires, how to you get the power down? Is that an early picture or are you pulling legs?
Matt H -

A careful reader will see it say's "planned" northstar conversion. I'm typically not one to describe fantasy modifications to cars I own, but I did that page just after buying the Fiero last year and after having nailed down many of the details and parts necessary for the swap.

FYI, almost any FWD GM engine will "fit" in the Fiero engine bay as well as most SBCs. I'm not at positive about the SBC swaps, as I think you can do it with or without modifying the cradle width. But when I say "fit" I mean only that. Dropping the engine to change a sparkplug is not unheard of.

Regarding specifically the Northstar swap, it will "almost" bolt directly to the stock Fiero trans, only one hole does not line up, and is easily remedied with a small hunk of metal that rigidly connects the two misaligned holes. The N* starter is mid-V so some structural webbing inside the bellhousing must be removed for clearance. Other than that, all that is necessary is building custom engine mounts to the proper alignment, custom flywheel to fit Fiero PP and N* crank bolt pattern, and custom exhaust work and its physically done. Then you must deal with engine management. This is a largely where I stopped on my project. I had found sources for all of the parts I needed, but when it came time to control the fuel and spark, big dollars or a loss of power resulted from the incompatibility of the stock ECU with this kind of setup. Aftermarket controllers totalled at least equal to the cost of the sum of the rest of the parts. Some people had tried fooling the stock ECU, but with big hits in the power department (basically always in "limp home" mode). I was looking to use the very inexpensive Megasquirt fuel management, but got hung up on the spark control. Soon there will be a spark controller from the makers of the Megasquirt, and that is when I may pick this project back up.

Also, both of the Fieros I bought were simply not cool enough starter vehicles for this kind of engine swap. They'd be a really sweet drivetrain in a POS car. If I do the swap someday, it'll be in a '88 Fastback with leather interior, etc.

Woah, big sidetrack to my own thread. Thats cool though.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:17 PM
nyda
Instructor

I for one wouldnt want my turbo snuggling up next to my gas tank. Also, wouldnt the turbo lag be horrendous when trying to compress 7 ft of what appears to be 3" exhaust piping when coming from a vacuum state?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

DanG - I guess I didnt read close enough, I was aware of the 9 million swap that can be done but I thought only the GM 6's would fit back there without widening the rear frame. I seem to remember reading somewhere thtat was the case, maybe they did it just to be cool and have the wide rear. I saw this conversion once in an old edition of SCC or something similar. I dont remember what they were using for EM but I think it was a Haltech of somesort. With the kind of power the N* has those might make a good kit car project.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

This looks like some gear heads had too much time, some smoke, and some spare parts on their hands.... "Hey man... It would be like totally cool if we put the turbo in the back."

Quick Reply: Pep Boy's Next Goldmine...